You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Canon Pixma failure

Author (Read 3448 times)

Re: Canon Pixma failure
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for that, and it rhymes with a lot of what I have read re Canon printers. I'm not a new LL user, more a slow learner...
I have had an XP Virtual Box but really wanted to leave that hassle behind, and the printer doesn't deserve to die.

On the practical front, despite the same drivers installed, and the same version of system-config-printer, the printer properties vary from the 2.4 and 2.8 systems. On the former, which works, I am only offered Print Test Page under the Tests and Maintenance page of properties, on the 2.8 machine I am offered Test Page, Self-Test Page and Clean Print Heads.

Does this provide a hint as to what kind of underlying difference between the systems could be stopping the printing?

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 06:42:37 AM »

Joseph

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU [email protected]

• MEMORY: 256mb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GMx86/MMX/SSE2
I also have had this issue since I upgraded to LL version 2.6. My Canon IP2500 would not print consistently (in fact, out of every say 30 attempts, it did print once and stopped) . Since software I use for work requires Winxp running in Virtualbox, I got the printer to be recognized as a usb device so I could print from the Windows Virtual Machine running on the same laptop. Success.

This workaround means that all docs created in LL would have to placed inside a shared folder between Linux Lite and Windows XP for printing. This has worked well for me so far on this laptop, but it may be a bit of an inconvenient stretch for a beginning linux lite user.

After eight years of service from the IP2500, I may replace with an HP model. I just plugged one into someone else's LL Machine week before last. It found the drivers for the printer and scanner with ease (from the Install Drivers in the Menu) and was ready to work in no time. If a canon linux driver fix comes first, I am sure the old faithful IP2500 might just give us few more years (once I get that dreaded Ink Absorber Full thing sorted out).
Measure Twice...Cut Once!

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Have just checked all installed drivers and the two machines have exactly the same set installed. So it doesn't seem to be that.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
There is no problem with the printer being detected, recognized and the drivers found. It all goes as smootly as it did on the 2.4 machine, except when it comes time to print.

I don't quite understand the printer needing a network address, it is a local printer only.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »

Daveyboy

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Canon Pixma failure
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I've always dreaded trying to get printers to work on Linux, and it doesn't help with old ones, even if they still can perform like new.

A few months ago I finally got my Pixma IP5000 working perfectly, connected to my Linux Lite laptop which runs LL 2.4 - the instructions in the LL manual, plus a lot of printer settings tweaking, all fine.

Just installed a new (refurbished) office desktop running LL 2.8, and connected the Pixma as instructed and the way it worked last time, but no luck now, it cannot print at all, things just stop in the queue with instant error messages. I have the troubleshooting txt file that results if that might help.

Any and all advice and suggestions welcome, I am baffled. Windows stopped supporting the printer drivers with XP, so I might cobble together a Virtual Box running XP again, but would prefer to return to the recent pleasure of everything running smoothly on LL.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section