You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Canon Imageclass D570 laser printer/scanner driver

Author (Read 26099 times)

Re: Canon Imageclass D570 laser printer/scanner driver
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 12:41:41 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 5.x
Howdy firenice03,
That is one thing I haven't done yet and thanks for checking, it's night time here at the Ponderosa and all are asleep but me and I was checking email and saw your response.  My focus lately was making sure all of the remains were removed so I could start over.  I kind of let it go during the summer because I have many other things to do and it is just easy to go to W7 and print what ever I need.  I will check out the link you gave me tomorrow and if all goes well now that I have a little bit more knowledge of Linux maybe I can follow the instructions this time.  I want all to know out there in LL forum land that I am not bashing Linux Lite or Linux at all about the printer thing.  I am so happy with LL and what it has brought to my old laptop that I love and I am thankful to all of you here on the forum who have patience with Linux green horns like me.  When coming from decades of using Windows to do everything it makes us lazy.  Before Windows I actually had to use the command line for everything on our old IBM 8085. 

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2022, 06:28:35 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@vint @trinidad

I gave another look on Canon's == I did see a recently updated driver..
https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageclass-d570

As of 9/8/22 - UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.60... Its a tar file (.tar.gz) - I can try and run an install in a 5.8 later this eve maybe..
Could be worth a shot???

If so, make a Timeshift backup prior for a restore point....
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 03:45:02 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

@Triinidad,
I appreciate the help and I will certainly give the supplied code a try, as far as blaming Linux I'm not laying all of the blame on them.  I know Canon as well as other OEM's do as little as possible to help out those who use Linux because the fact is that Microsoft has the lions share of OS' out there and that is who they cater to.  Also, I asked the question about windows and the printer a few months ago of two well known forum regulars and they disagree and said that Windows has nothing to do with the problem and since I am the one who messed up I tend to agree.   I would like to know how to sign into cups though so I can make sure that the printer is removed, how do I sign in?  Thanks for the help and have a great day.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2022, 10:10:40 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

For Linux Lite probably should be
Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg --purge cnrdrvcups-ufr2-us

You don't need to run logged in as root. The # is not part of the code.
And by the way the blame for print driver problems in on the OEMs (Canon in this case) not on Linux in general.
https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300029830/10/linux-UFRII-drv-v550-usen-ug.pdf
Also https://itsubuntu.com/how-to-install-canon-printer-driver-in-ubuntu-22-04-lts/

the choice is y or n and I pressed y
It will still be seen as a network printer because the sane librarys are complete.
TC
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:47:06 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Trinidad,
It is a network printer because I made the mistake upon installation, the choice is y or n and I pressed y, # dpkg -P cnrdrvcups-ufr2-us is the removal code.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2022, 09:35:37 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

I will have to go to the readme file first and then copy it and I'm a bit busy at the moment so it will be a while
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2022, 09:31:27 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

the removal language for the terminal on Canon
That code.
it works just fine on Windows
That is why Linux sees it as a network printer.
TC
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:36:34 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2022, 09:23:48 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Trinidad,
The reason it shows up as a network printer is because I pressed yes instead of no, as it is plugged in with USB and was never used as a network printer on Windows, I haven't a network any longer in my office.  I made the mistake and I'm just trying to start over with the installation process, Canon does have the printer driver package so I am not sure where or what you're looking at.  I'll figure it out eventually but the removal language for the terminal on Canon gives the terminal fits so I'm trying to find a solution and until then since I dual boot it works just fine on Windows.  The driver is available on the Canon website, what code are you referring too?
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2022, 09:15:04 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

deb terminal language
Where did you find that and what is it specifically? Post the code you used.

TC

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2022, 09:11:03 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Howdy Serban,

Canon does provide the deb package, the driver and the installation went well except for me, the problem was my fault with the installation and being very green with the terminal language in Linux Lite.  I use my printer with a USB plug in not as a network printer and I pressed yes when I should have pressed no.  So now I'm stuck trying to start over and the deb terminal language in the Canon removal isn't liked by Linux Lite Terminal.  I just purchased this laser printer/scanner in 2021 and I am not going to purchase a new one just to satisfy Linux and their inability to provide an easier way to install printers.  I don't mind dual boot as I still use Windows for many things but I have found little help on the forum with this, and I am just going to have to fix it myself.   

Until I figure it out I'll keep using W7 to print and since Linux is so good I can download from LL to USB and take it to W7 and print without any problems at all.  I chose Linux Lite knowing that printers are a major problem with all things Linux unless you have an HP and I will never purchase another one of their printers because they are a $$$$$ pit, and so is Epson for that matter. 
Anyway, thanks for the pep talk and I appreciate the help and you have a blessed day.

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2022, 09:00:24 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

The reason the printer shows up as a network printer in Linux Lite is because you previously used it in Windows. This does not mean that the printer is using Linux drivers and/or can work in Linux, only that it can work over a Windows network connection to a Linux OS desktop with some limitations. Canon states that the Linux D570 printer drivers (deb and/or rpm) are not ready so I'm not sure where you found such drivers. The scanner works in Linux because there is a complete Linux SANE (scanner access now easy) library for the Canon D570. Two different things.

https://makedriver.com/canon-imageclass-d570-drivers/
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-pixma.5.html

TC 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:03:26 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2022, 07:30:21 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

I've been dealing with this since March and I have the same problem with the printer driver, I went to Canon and and copied and pasted the command for removing the driver and printer and the terminal didn't recognize the command language.  I removed the printer from the printer set up or gui and I did a purge but the scanner is still there.  The command line language that is given by Canon says it is for Debian but it doesn't work.  So how am I to start over if I am unable to rid my machine of the driver?  I know that no one here can see what is going on but I have read a lot over the past 5 months and still haven't a resolution and I need my printer to work with LL in order to eventually ditch W7.  I need to have the correct command language to remove all traces of the printer driver files so I can start over with the install.  I also don't know how to log into CUPS to find out if the printer is there.  I will keep looking and reading but this is BS that I am having this much trouble installing a simple printer/scanner from a world wide known company.

Hi!

Sorry if this sounds dissapointing but I had a Canon LBP 5000, and got that much trouble, that I gave it up.
Beside that, I hated the idea of dual-booting just for a printer :( It just pissed me off each time I had to reboot, in order to print something. I'm sure you tested the feeling!
What I recommend, is get a Samsung (seems they ditched the printer production, though...) or a HP. Those work. I have monochrome ones, but I know from my connections that they work fine.

Another choice that looks good, is Brother. Affordable, even here, in România. Never had one though, so I rely only on feedback. I checked the Brother support site and they provide a .deb package for the printers so I guess they work as expected. Again, this is my opinion based on indirect feedback and digging the net.

Besides, there are compatible cartridges that work also fine and they are cheaper than the manufacturer's ones.
For a Brother multi (BROTHER DCP-1510E), the compatible cartridge, is 70% off the original ones.

On Canon I tried to do the same, but had trouble: the compatibles are at about 90% of the Canon ones. Why bother, then?

I know it is your call. Just trying to provide the PROs and CONs.
I have some 20 years of printing practice, mostly graphics, both on ink and laser so I had to "do my homework". :)

A wise approach, is ask around the people you know. Maybe here is someone that uses other printers (including HP and Brother) and they are sure qualified enough to provide first-hand feedback. Since my HP 1018 works fine for already 15 years, I stand for Jerry's policy: "If it works, why change it?"

Another idea:

I never go for the price of any device. My eyes are on the TCO: Total Cost of Ownership.
That is: (Initial cost + maintainance + consumables) / year x years of (good...) service. A different approach, I admit it...
If the figures go down over the years, It's good. If they keep the same, it's toooooooo expensive.

Hope that is helpful! :)

Best regards!
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2022, 12:22:46 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

I've been dealing with this since March and I have the same problem with the printer driver, I went to Canon and and copied and pasted the command for removing the driver and printer and the terminal didn't recognize the command language.  I removed the printer from the printer set up or gui and I did a purge but the scanner is still there.  The command line language that is given by Canon says it is for Debian but it doesn't work.  So how am I to start over if I am unable to rid my machine of the driver?  I know that no one here can see what is going on but I have read a lot over the past 5 months and still haven't a resolution and I need my printer to work with LL in order to eventually ditch W7.  I need to have the correct command language to remove all traces of the printer driver files so I can start over with the install.  I also don't know how to log into CUPS to find out if the printer is there.  I will keep looking and reading but this is BS that I am having this much trouble installing a simple printer/scanner from a world wide known company.

Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2022, 01:40:37 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@vint 
yes just the USB - it can be powered on..

Specifically during the registration process... Step 2

For printers connected via USB
(1) Turn the main power of the printer ON → connect the computer and printer via USB cable → click [Refresh].
If the printer is displayed in the list, printer registration is complete.
If the printer is not displayed in the list, proceed to the next step.
(2) Disconnect and reconnect the cable with the main power of the printer ON → click [Refresh].
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2022, 12:59:12 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

@firenice03,
I assume that means just the USB being unplugged, do I need to remove the printer from the OS using the command Line?
Vint,
God Bless Texas

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section