You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Canon all-in-one printer/scanner

Author (Read 9862 times)

Re: Canon all-in-one printer/scanner
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Thanks for the reminder, I'll do it immediately!

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@Just J
Make sure you make a restore point should something occur later you can revert to when everything worked.

- Think you're on LL4.0
LL4.0 Timeshift
LL3.x Systemback

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:08:55 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I finally got the printer to work but can't tell you exactly how I did it!  All i know is that a new selection showed up when I went to the window to install a printer.  I figured I didn't have anything to lose by clicking on it but it took me a couple of tries to actually get it to work.  I think there was something about Gutenburg, maybe driverless printers but i don't know for sure and I'm not about to uninstall the printer to find out!  lol

Will eventually try to get the scanner working but for now, I'm very tired of trying to get stuff to work.  I'm sure I'll get my enthusiasm back in the days to come though.

Thank all of you for your help!  You're the greatest!

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 07:12:27 PM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you, Firenice3, you've given me more stuff to try and I appreciate it as I've spent most of the afternoon scouring the internet and trying different things to no avail.

I really appreciate the help everyone has been so quick to give here.   Thank you all!

I'll work on your links first thing tomorrow and will keep you posted.  Oh, I did find out about the file manager so am making progress!

J

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Maybe some additional things to try/research..
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html#printer

Driver from Canon: Choose correct bits (32/64)
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-series-inkjet/mx922

Fixes/Workarounds:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/994094/i-get-a-cups-server-error-server-error-internal-error-when-i-try-to-connect-a

Following in the same manner: can you access the cups web admin page - http://127.0.0.1:631
  may need to start or restart cups:
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl start cups.service
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl restart cups.service
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 01:21:04 PM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, I've spent most of the morning trying to follow the tutorial from Jocklad but no joy as of yet.  I'm taking a break right now.  I think one problem is that I can't find a 'file manager' in LL although I can get the downloaded file into the tmp file.

mdiemer, the printer doesn't work with any of the distros I've downloaded although your idea was a good one.

The good thing about all this is that I'm learning lots about LL and Linux in general!

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
You certainly can get ideas from another distro, even one not of the Ubuntu family. All Linus OS's are based on the linux kernal, so there is some similarity across the board. But in general, probably safer to stay close to home, so to speak.

Here is kind of an unorthodox approach to your problem: Install a different Linux OS, preferably on the same computer, or even just run the live version, and if the printer works, make a note of all the settings. Then try transferring them to Linux Lite.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you so much!  It looks complicated so I'll try it first thing in the morning while I'm fresher!

May I ask what might be a really stupid question?  How do you know what will work to fix something?  I know LL is based on Ubuntu & I can sort of see why fixes in  that distro would work, but would something from an entirely different distro also work?  Do you just have to try something to see if it's the right solution?

I have a LOT of questions like the above (we need a Newbie Questions forum!).  Questions that don't ask for specific help but are more general. 

Anyway, thanks again for the link, I'll let you know how it goes!

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you so much for continuing to try to help me.  This printer thing is becoming very frustrating!

Yes, the printer works in both my Win 10 desktop and Win 7 laptop and was installed on both before I installed LL 4.0 on an old desktop.

I have tried to install via Menu/System/Printers but that's where I run into the error message.

I click on the add printer then network printers & can see my printer listed under 'network printers'.  I click on it and a search for drivers begins.  I guess it finds them as it quits and I can go to the next page where it asks for the printer name, location, etc.
My printer shows up in all the appropriate places but when I click 'Apply' I get the error message  'server-error-internal-error'

I've been all over the internet looking for a solution and have even uninstalled the printer from both my windows machines then tried to install on LL.  I still get the same error message.

I found what seems to be a solution at https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/server-error-internal-error-with-cups-configure-printer-216157/
but I have no clue as to what they're talking about or how to go about implementing!

I know everyone started out not knowing Linux but it really irks me not to be able to figure this out!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Does the printer work on Windows? If so, then at least we know the printer works. Try disconnecting and reconnecting it, while you have Linux Lite open. It may "rediscover" it. And hopefully it will proceed to configure it correctly.

When you click on "Printers" (Menu/System/Printers), you should get a screen that lets you add a printer. You have to unlock it first by putting in your password. It should then add and configure the printer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:40:52 PM by mdiemer »

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 01:41:01 PM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The printer isn't there to troubleshoot.  Setting it up stops when I get to the error I referenced earlier so I never actually get it connected. 

I've done some searching but I don't understand much of what I read.  However, I gather it's a network problem. 

I've tried to use Samba but don't really know what to put in the blanks in the setup windows.  I don't even know if I'm supposed to use Samba but do want to network all of my computers. 

It's difficult to ask the right questions or explain the problems as I don't know the proper terminology!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Did you try the troubleshooter? 

Menu/System/Printers
highlight your printer, then under "Help" choose troubleshooter.

As far as settings, mine look like this: (double-click on your printer to bring up this screen in /Menu/System/Printers)

Description:        Canon mp210 series
Location              michael GT5656
Device URL:         usb://Canon/MP210%20series?serial=6191F2&interface=1
Make and model:  Canon MP210 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13
Printer Status:      Idle

Canon all-in-one printer/scanner
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:49 AM »

Just J

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have a Canon MX922 all-in-one printer that I'm trying to make work with LL, along with a Win 10 desktop and a Win 7 laptop but I've been trying to set it all up for 2 days and have gotten nowhere.

The printer was originally set up in Windows 10, then the Win 7 laptop was added and file and printer sharing is enabled on the Win 10 machine.

The printer shows up under network printers and I can click on it and proceed.  The drivers are found, etc.  However, when I get to the page where asked to describe the printer, printer name, location and click 'Apply', I get the following error: 'server-error-internal-error'

Quite a bit of my hair has accumulated around the computer desk so I've come to beg for help in making this printer work before i lose any more!

Please remember I'm very new at Linux so very specific instructions are needed.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:23:04 AM by Just J »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section