You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] HP Laserjet connected to a USB port

Author (Read 14443 times)

Re: HP Laserjet connected to a USB port
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
I don't know if this is Ubuntu, Debian or L-Lite developer issue, but as far as possible, during installation the OS should detect the printer and then install things like hplip. Especially for newer users, these little things can be very frustrating, esp. if there are a dozen or so of them after installation. This little one is important because for many people, if they can't print they can't do their work, so they end up not switching over because it's too risky etc..

Hello!

AFAIK, NO OS does this. Besides, programs like that change far too frequently for an OS to keep up with them all.

Instead, HP should include HPLIP were included on the same CD as their Windows Installer. Of course, people misplace CDs all the time, so they will go online to get them anyway...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

Thanks Dave!

I will check out the Ubuntu doc as well.

Happy Holiday!

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Hi,

I think there is a step between 1 & 2.
On the PC where the printer is physically connected... You need to "Publish/Share it"
This may help.?
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/06/how-to-share-a-printer-in-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-lts/

GL
Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

Re: HP Laserjet connected to a USB port, more questions
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

I can certainly feel everyone's pain in doing something so (seemingly) straightforward as printing.  I have had a lot of issues with Linux and printing (at least with my network).  I do have to say though that it was nearly impossible to print to an XP connected printer on the Windows network with a Vista laptop, so it's not just Linux.  I loaded the HPLIP and by usb-connected printer works fine off that machine (Linux).  I have another Linux machine on the network I would like to use the printer for as well.  Some stupid questions I guess, but not having a lot of luck:

1) USB connected printer was set-up with HPLIP as a "usb" printer not network printer on the connected machine, is this correct?
2) Then I should install HPLIP on my other Linux box and set up that same printer with HPLIP as a Network printer, right?
3) Two Windows 7 laptops, what should I do with those (yeah, I know - other than burn them)? I go through the Windows printer set-up/Discovery thing and it finally sees it, load drivers, etc. prints the test page and than a document fine ... then two days later I try and use the same printer and it no longer works.  This happens over and over.

We had sort of thrown in the towel and were using Google Cloud Printing, which worked great for a few weeks, but today - no dice with that either.  Suggestions?

Chris

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 07:48:59 AM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
I don't know if this is Ubuntu, Debian or L-Lite developer issue, but as far as possible, during installation the OS should detect the printer and then install things like hplip. Especially for newer users, these little things can be very frustrating, esp. if there are a dozen or so of them after installation. This little one is important because for many people, if they can't print they can't do their work, so they end up not switching over because it's too risky etc..

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 07:11:37 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Hi,

Having been through a number of installs in my early days of LL
One of the first things I install after the normal LL updates is hplip
via 'Install/Remove Software' ("synaptic")

I then just use the regular menu > system > printers
Select add, and it "automagically" finds my printer, which is on "WiFi" connected to my router..!!
It then just adds the drivers/config.. (maybe I'm lucky, never had to use hp-setup, it takes about 2 minutes)
It does add in some other HP Fax/Address book stuff,
I just un-tick those in the menu editor to hide them.

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Happy to help.

Yes, HPLIP is in Synaptic (aka 'Install/Remove Software'), but the newest versions are always on the HPLIP website. HPLIP updates fairly frequently.

While I'm thinking about it, it's time for ME to download HPLIP for MY HP printer...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:11:04 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »

CaperAsh

• Occasional Poster
  • Retired
    • View Profile
I ran "  hp-setup run   " and it prompted me to install more hplip components. Went into Synaptic Package Manager and asked for the HP Gui and then ran setup again and then it went through some window prompts, downloaded some more firmware, and the printer works fine. Took less than 10 minutes. Thanks for the help above.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
My personal experience:

When a new peripheral comes out, it takes a few months for the driver to float on the internet unless the manufacturer releases a linux driver (for printers, HP does), and then, a few
more months for the linux driver to be included in distros.  Usually Fedora and Arch are "pioneer" distros - have a the latest drivers.   Debian is usually 1.5 years behind, but extremely
stable.  LL is behind ubuntu (correct, Valium?).

Sheng-Chieh

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:11 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

I'll have to try hp-setup on my next install that needs HP support. I generally download it so that I add the latest version.

It would seem that issues with HP printers come up frequently here. The fix is always the same: install HPLIP.

http://www.hplipopensource.com

IIRC, HPLIP is mentioned in the LL manual. Hopefully, one day, HP will also put HPLIP for Linux on the same CD...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:54:00 AM by N4RPS »

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »

ohjrson

• I know enough to get into trouble
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Quad core

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: internal

• Kernel: 6.x
Hey petesoderman, and bertil, I feel for you. I have run into that numerous times. Just remember that no OS is absolutely perfect. You will have a few headaches. Especially with HP. Its just the way they operate. I almost always have to use the HP Setup when I do a re-install on one of my machines, but when it is done in most cases it works better. The deal here is that when you have an issue on a LL 2.0 system you can get help without it costing you a fortune. In fact most of the time it is free. (They do ask for donations though ;D ) So if you run into a wall for some reason give us a try but be prepared to be patient.

bertil, try doing what petersoderman did, see if that does not solve your problems, if not come back here and we will be glad to help if we can.

Welcome to LL 2.0
Ohjrson
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:25:29 PM by ohjrson »
LL 6.6 Dell Power Edge T310 Quad core 32g
LL 6.6 Acer E5-722-49HD A4-7210 Quad core
LL 6.6 Acer AX3812-E9502 intel Quad core
LL 6.2 Dell Optiplex 755 intel Core 2 duo
LL 3.8 Acer Aspire 3000 AMD processor
Simple, Fast, Efficient, Free, and Beats Windows all to hell.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »

petesoderman

Well, I feel like a jerk! Turned out to be an easy fix. Just run "hp-setup" from the terminal, it installs the necessary plugin and the printer in about three steps. It's working fine. I apologize for my tough words above, it's been a long day.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:13:25 PM »

petesoderman

Yes, Linux might be the best free software in the world, but what good is it if you can't print what you write? I'm having the same issues as the gentleman above, LL sees my printer (1102) but will not print to it. I'm going to have to abandon LL. Just too many problems.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

Even with Windows, you still need additional software to run most of the newer HP printers. The only difference is that HP packages a CD with the printer containing the Windows drivers and software, where with Linux, you have to download it - which is what you have to do for Windows, also, if you misplace the CD.

Even though the printers come with a software CD, it's still best to download the latest software anyway. There's just no telling HOW many revisions have taken place since the printer was first boxed.

All things considered, Linux has become the best free operating system available, especially in the last few years. Microsoft's Windows has pretty much abandoned older hardware...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »

bertil

Thank you. I have downloaded the HP driver. I will try to install it.
An update: if the printer is connected to the USB port when booting Linux Lite,
the printer is found, but will not print. Some error with CUPS.
It should not be so complicated if you want to replace Windows with Linux on the desktop.
/Bertil

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section