You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Windows mgr and/or thunar problem. Windows chopped non functional

Author (Read 5325 times)

Re: Windows mgr and/or thunar problem. Windows chopped non functional
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »

mountainhick

Consider this unsolved within Linux Lite, but

Solved by instaling Linux Mint

Best to you all, it's been grand!

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

sonic

I think you have to extract them manually

As a last option, you can try to change the window manager itself, for example, install GNOME and login with this environment.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »

mountainhick

Thanks,

Sounds like it is time for ver 2.

If I install ver 2, will it save things like my firefox bookmarks and Tbird email and contact files? Or do I have to find out how to do this without available access through the mozilla apps themselves? (I can not access either due to the display and functionality problem through the programs themselves.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Mountainhick

Have you updated the default kernel? Support for the kernel and the graphics drivers in LL108 ended on Aug 8, 2014. See here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=645.0

Since I don't know for certain that the kernel is the problem two troubleshooting steps come to mind.

Boot on a live LL 2.0 CD/DVD/Flash Drive
If the window issue is fixed you have the option to backup any data in the live environment and reinstall the OS.

Boot on a live LL108 CD/DVD/Flash Drive
If the window issue is fixed you have the option to backup any data in the live environment and reinstall the OS. Note since this is LL108 the problem may happen all over again but at least you have the option to troubleshoot and attempt to narrow it down to the cause.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »

sonic

Did you messed up with something before this? Or happened all of a sudden? LL 1.0.8 comes with Xfce 4.08 if I remember correctly. Maybe try to update to 4.10 manually.

This is a link for Ubuntu 12.04 to update the Xfce from 4.08 to 4.10. It will be exactly the same with LL 1.0.8 because it's based on this version.
http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/05/easy-way-to-install-xfce-4-10-desktop-environment-in-ubuntu-12-04.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:52:48 PM by sonic »

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »

mountainhick

md5sum check. is new info to me. I searched and found info about this.

No, I did not md5sum check on installation. I was not even aware of it. I trustingly downloaded LL 1.0.8 from the linuxlitreeos downloads page.

It has been installed for months and working fine. Until now.

Seems the windows mgr may be part of the desktop envirtonment. Is it possible to just uninstall reinstall the desktop? I am quite sure it is xfce on this OS

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Something is definitely wrong. The only time I had a problem was having the top tool section transparent and losing the close,max,minimise, buttons. I had to close and control open windows with the toolbar instead. System tweaks in Settings worked for me though which you say is a no go for you.

This makes me wonder if you did a md5sum check of the Linux Lite 1.8 iso before making the installer (usb,CD)
Because this problem is a catch-22 type of problem for me. Settings don't work and open windows a kinda fubar.

Maybe a more knowledgeable member than me can tell you what to remove and the regenerate.

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:50 PM »

mountainhick

EDIT: If you go to Settings > Main Menu, follow the tree and find "Window Manager" or "Window Manager Tweaks". Then click properties and tell us what you see.

Please see post just above. Windows mgr and tweaks do not open from settings menu. Nothing.

Seems windows mgr program is not running or corrupted. I want to try uninstalling/reinstalling, but don't know how
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:18:45 PM by mountainhick »

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »

mountainhick

typed url into firefox then tried to copy to paste into this post. No go. copy function in url box not working either

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »

sonic

press the PrtScn button on keyboard and will open the screenshot tool.

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »

mountainhick

I'd prefer uploading images to my own server. Not sure I can with the current problem, but I will try.

How do I capture a screenshot and save as image to upload?

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »

sonic

http://imgur.com/ Go here and upload some screenshots to help us understand better what you see. That's weird in my opinion.

EDIT: If you go to Settings > Main Menu, follow the tree and find "Window Manager" or "Window Manager Tweaks". Then click properties and tell us what you see.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:57:14 AM by sonic »

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

mountainhick

Also, windows manager and windows manager tweaks in Settings menu are showing but not available. Clicking on them does nothing.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:51:47 AM by mountainhick »

Windows mgr and/or thunar problem. Windows chopped non functional
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »

mountainhick

Not sure what part of the OS or packages are malfunctioning here. Running LL1.0.8

All windows are chopped off such that the right side of the window is gone. This includes the maximize, minimize and close buttons. This is happening on all windows. File mgr, terminal Tbird, firefox, filezilla... everything. I can not access menu functions on R side of windows like the mozilla stuff. 

I tried starting in recovery mode and ran repair packages. Didn't work. I tried a system update didn't work. I am wondering if uninstalling and reinstalling windows mgr and or thunar might do the trick, but I don't know the commands to do this.

I also though about reinstalling the OS and ugrading to ver 2, but I don;t know if I have to backup files, which is a problem because I can't see the files that would be displaying on the right side of the file mgr windows.

Please help! I have work to do today and can't

Thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section