You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Virtual machine no longer works after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.1.34

Author (Read 5426 times)

Re: Virtual machine no longer works after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.1.34
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:41:23 AM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp 82915G//910GL
Found that the USB devices error with #2, so set to #1 and the system would run.  Also found the guest extensions as out of date.  I was using 5.0.4 and need to update to 5.1.xxx.  5.2 is out but unstable.  Working on it, but at least the system is again usable. ::)

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »

BarryVG

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Corp 82915G//910GL
I too have the same issue.  Was running Win7, WinXP, Zoin, Debian 9.2, Emmabuntu, Manjaro 1705, Linspire 7.0 and Mint 18.3.  All have failed and slowly working out why.  The update at time was 37 units and took over 30 minutes.  Normally do updates about every 3-5 days, so this was a wonder.  System is Dell M4500 with 8gb ram and i7 processor.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »

GatesHater52

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks for your quick reply. A clarification. AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor & onboard VIA Chrome3 graphics.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Bug reports and documentation on some of these newer issues with virtual environments in Linux are not really correlated yet. Many are  because of kernel level mitigations in response to S/M and there are problems with older hardware and OSs. I have an older Debian AMD server, and a newer Debian AMD desktop as well. When qemu S/M mitigations began to roll out I ended up with an endless load loop precisely at the plymouth handoff point that loads lightdm on both of my virtual LL 3.8 systems on those machines. I had no issue with LL in gnome-boxes on my old Dell core2 duo running Ubuntu on the 4.13 kernel. The problem with AMD is definitely graphics firmware related. You may have to move off the retpoline kernel on your base system for now, or run Windows 7 instead of XP.

TC
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:37:20 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Virtual machine no longer works after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.1.34
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »

GatesHater52

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
After updating from v5.0.40, my windows xp virtual machine stops with an error dialogue during boot, and when I click 'OK', linuxLite locks up. Everything I can find about the error is on Intel based systems, but mine is AMD.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section