Software - Support > Other

Very slow data transfer to USB memory stick

<< < (2/2)

Jerry:
Removed caps from thread title, PLEASE DON'T SHOUT AT US :)

Ean:
This is a query regarding very slow data transfer from hard drive to a USB memory stick for the last few percent of the transfer of large files. The filetypes I've tried are .ISO and .MP4 of about 80Mb or so upwards. It's possible the same happens to small files, but I don't see it. What happens is that the transfer starts and continues at a "normal" speed, then slows to a crawl towards the end. This has caused apps, such as VLC, to crash.

The PC is a 2.7GHz dual core AMD 2 x2 22, 4Gb RAM, single boot, running LL 5.6. It takes about 2min 35 secs to boot up, and according to BTOP uses around 0.7Gb RAM and a few % CPU when idling. When I look at Task Manager, these figures are broadly agreed with. The real-time (I think) CPU usage display spikes a great deal to 100% from the time I run Task Manager during the time of slow file transfer. This seems to tie up with apps crashing. I've tried different memory sticks with the same result.

I'm new to Linux and have only been using LL for about 12 days and have no programming experience whatsoever. Although I'm posting this, LL is working very well for me. Please provide a simplistic response if possible.

Ean.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version