You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Very basic question

Author (Read 4072 times)

Re: Very basic question
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: e5300

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you! That does work, at least for the items that give shortcuts, so it's worthwhile. Not all of the options show up, though; for example, the Properties item does not. In other words, the options available when using the Alt+E are different from what you get when you simply right-click a file. In the latter case, the underlining still seems non-functional to me.

But what you pointed out is still useful. Thanks again.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 11:31:48 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

But I can't figure out how to find the answer via Search. How do I use the underlined right-mouse-button shortcuts in Thunar? For example, the Rename function has an underlined shortcut of "R", but using lower or upper-case R just opens up what looks like a search field in the bottom of the pane. Ditto for Properties, etc. I have searched for tips on using Thunar in general but still haven't found this, so I must be looking in the wrong place or using the wrong search terms.

Thanks!

@Tyrannocaster
The underlined letter work just as a typical keyboard shortcut... At least for me..

Try...
In Thunar.. Say your home directory..   below all letters are lowercase (not shift)..
Don't click on anything - Use ALT+E  --- Edit should open now with all those underlined.. Since nothing was selected prior - available options will be selecting..
So.. now type the key..  --- All items should be selected...

Click off and select a single file/folder... press ALT+E (opens edit) then type R - you can rename it..

Think maybe you were trying a 2 key combo... just 1..

ALT+key (1st letter) seems to work for most menu items and a single key (underline) letter for the option if the menu is open/present.

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Tyrannocaster   

Have you tried this:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-assign-a-hotkey-to-thunar-custom-actions-and-menu-items/

Hope this helps :)
Sorry for the late reply; I didn't see this until now. Thanks for the response. I don't have any trouble creating custom actions, I'm just wondering why, if the underlined shortcuts don't work, they are included in the release.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:04:59 AM by DeepThought »
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

But I can't figure out how to find the answer via Search. How do I use the underlined right-mouse-button shortcuts in Thunar? For example, the Rename function has an underlined shortcut of "R", but using lower or upper-case R just opens up what looks like a search field in the bottom of the pane. Ditto for Properties, etc. I have searched for tips on using Thunar in general but still haven't found this, so I must be looking in the wrong place or using the wrong search terms.

Thanks!

Have you checked here https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/start ? Also, a youtube  search provides quite a few results.

Last but not least, visit the xfce forum read their wiki and their blog

Hope this helps! :)

Yes, I did look there (in both places). I didn't find the answer; I thought maybe somebody might know. I can try YouTube, though.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I looked all over the place yesterday and can't find any explanation at all of these underlined apparent shortcuts. What is their purpose? Some examples:

Open with [whatever]
Cut
Copy
Move to Trash
Delete
Rename
Create archive
Properties

Long ago in a galaxy far far away mice were small furry rodents that squeaked and ran around a lot.

This meant that there had to be a way for computer users to access menus and do things. This was done using key combinations with varieties of Ctrl + key or Alt + key.
The relevant key was and is displayed with and underscore. Hence copy and paste are Ctlr+c and Ctrl+v. Strl+s is usually Save, Ctrl+p is usually Print ....... etc.

The Alt + key functions are for grander operations such as closing an app or window with Alt+f4.

These underlined letters appear to be meaningless; perhaps they are vestigial, as you say. if so, why are they there? There is no shortcut key that when pressed with P will open the Properties window. R will not rename a file no matter what ctrl key you try it with. All of these underlined examples were taken from the menu you get when you right click a file. The standard Linux key combos ARE listed in the regular menus, but those are different.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 01:58:10 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

I looked all over the place yesterday and can't find any explanation at all of these underlined apparent shortcuts. What is their purpose? Some examples:

Open with [whatever]
Cut
Copy
Move to Trash
Delete
Rename
Create archive
Properties

Long ago in a galaxy far far away mice were small furry rodents that squeaked and ran around a lot.

This meant that there had to be a way for computer users to access menus and do things. This was done using key combinations with varieties of Ctrl + key or Alt + key.
The relevant key was and is displayed with and underscore. Hence copy and paste are Ctlr+c and Ctrl+v. Strl+s is usually Save, Ctrl+p is usually Print ....... etc.

The Alt + key functions are for grander operations such as closing an app or window with Alt+f4.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Thanks!

Have you checked here https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/start ? Also, a youtube  search provides quite a few results.

Last but not least, visit the xfce forum read their wiki and their blog

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:37:30 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Open with [whatever]
Cut
Copy
Move to Trash
Delete
Rename
Create archive
Properties

Very basic question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section