You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

New to LL 5.4 - So Upgrading to LL 6.x Will Never Be Possible?

Author (Read 5801 times)

Re: New to LL 5.4 - So Upgrading to LL 6.x Will Never Be Possible?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 03:22:55 AM »

CP_ PDN

• New to Forums
  • NewBie LL
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual Xeon

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVidia

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you.
Closed.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@CP_ PDN

Hi ... replies below ...

But the series are still supported  for some time, LL3.8 just went EOL... So if a series is working well you don't or not forced to upgrade.

Nice... so it still gets new versions of Firefox, LibreOffice etc ? That is if 6.x come out, 5.x will still get  package updates ( not just security updates )

Correct, the apps as they are made available thru the repo, just as the current series. Same with kernels.

As to the philosophy, and Jerry would phrase it best, but if it fits, works well and can be done with ease, then it likely could be considered in the future as to when?? Likely not as soon as 6...

Understood. So say that 6.x comes out and I want to move to that, I would have to reformat the entire disk  and lose all the partitions,  folders, subfolders ( data ) on it ? So if i have a 8TB disk ... I would need to have another 8TB disk for a backup ?

Thank you in advance.

Depending on how you're partitions are set up, not necessarily.
Say you have root and a data partitions, only root would need formated.

Say a root, home, swap and data...
Only root would need to be formated, although my preference is to do home too, just due to configs from series to series.. but thats me... the others no..
Choose the Something Else when installing, verify you know your partitions prior, as to not accidentally select a partition you want to keep.

No problem.. Never hurts to post/ask a question.. Especially before hand rather than afterwards  ;D
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 03:02:05 AM »

CP_ PDN

• New to Forums
  • NewBie LL
    • View Profile

Hi ... replies below ...

Right now, you are correct it is not possible to upgrade from one series to the next

Noted. Thanks.

But the series are still supported  for some time, LL3.8 just went EOL... So if a series is working well you don't or not forced to upgrade.

Nice... so it still gets new versions of Firefox, LibreOffice etc ? That is if 6.x come out, 5.x will still get  package updates ( not just security updates )

As to the philosophy, and Jerry would phrase it best, but if it fits, works well and can be done with ease, then it likely could be considered in the future as to when?? Likely not as soon as 6...

Understood. So say that 6.x comes out and I want to move to that, I would have to reformat the entire disk  and lose all the partitions,  folders, subfolders ( data ) on it ? So if i have a 8TB disk ... I would need to have another 8TB disk for a backup ?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:04:12 AM by CP_ PDN »

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Right now, you are correct it is not possible to upgrade from one series to the next.

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

New to LL 5.4 - So Upgrading to LL 6.x Will Never Be Possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »

CP_ PDN

• New to Forums
  • NewBie LL
    • View Profile

Guys,

I am new to LL 5.4.
The Distro looks great. Thanks to the Team.

I am just wondering ... as and when LL 6.x comes out, we will not be able to upgrade to that version ?
Is this a possibility or this will never be worked on bcos its not part of LL philisophy, etc ?

I am planning to upgrade more of home machines.... They are currently opensuse xfce and i upgrade from one version to the next.
Mostly the upgrades are seamless ( no issue with data loss ) but sometimes you have to re-init your home folder for some apps etc.

Pls advice.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:23:23 AM by CP_ PDN »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section