You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Select laptop options not showing...

Author (Read 7384 times)

Re: Select laptop options not showing...
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2022, 09:55:11 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks for all the help, guys! Using the mouse instead of touch pad was not an acceptable option, so I installed Ubuntu 20.04 instead.

Everything seems to work there except for the screen brightness -/+ F keys (F11/F12 on my laptop) still and logging out/locking/closed lid disconnects the WiFi, but both are not big deals. I hope the next Ubuntu version will fix them, though.

This might of interest to you: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.18-DRM Linux 5.18 introduces new hardware support for Intel.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 03:00:09 PM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the help, guys! Using the mouse instead of touch pad was not an acceptable option, so I installed Ubuntu 20.04 instead.

Everything seems to work there except for the screen brightness -/+ F keys (F11/F12 on my laptop) still and logging out/locking/closed lid disconnects the WiFi, but both are not big deals. I hope the next Ubuntu version will fix them, though.

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 03:21:24 AM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ok, wow. I just found out that the touchpad manufacturer in my laptop is a Precision brand. I was going to put the original hard drive in to check, but I didn't have to after I read this article:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-11-requires-precision-touchpads-and-thats-good-most-laptops

My Lenovo (manufactured last December) is Windows 11. So it seems that Microsoft is forcing ALL PC makers to use their Precision touchpads if they are going to use Windows 11. How authoritarian and Mac-like... and a headache for us Linux laptop users.

Given this newly-found information, I guess the next logical thing to ask is if there's a way to install a Precision touchpad driver using terminal? Remember, I'm new to Linux, so I might new someone to get me the sudo code. I'll try Googling it, but I might need someone here to provide that command prompt, if one exists, that is.

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2022, 11:16:44 PM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I looked through the online specs guides of my laptop (https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_3_15ITL05/IdeaPad_3_15ITL05_Spec.pdf) and it seems like either, according to some other sites I looked at on Google, Linux Lite only supports Synaptics touchpads (I think mine is Precision, according to page 4 of the pdf I posted) or I need to just wait for Linux to make a driver for my touchpad, seeing as my laptop might be a little TOO new, lol.

Anyone know for sure which it is?

If it only supports Synaptics touchpads, is there any to use a Synaptics driver for my laptop? This site (https://mspoweruser.com/enable-precision-touchpad-drivers-non-precision-pc/) says you can use Precision drivers on non-precision touchpads, so I'm wondering if you can do the opposite and use Synaptics drivers on non-Synaptics touchpads. If it is possible, I need a step-by-step walkthrough of how to install the Synaptics driver... or any touchpad driver that will work! Lol.

Read here https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000150104/precision-xps-ubuntu-general-touchpad-mouse-issue-fix?lwp=rt Instructions are clear and the process seems fairly easy to follow. One thing, where it reads sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 change that for
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-20.04 since that's the current version. Also, before doing any of this, I highly recommend performing a backup; better safe, than sorry.  :55:

This looks like a bit much for me since I'm still pretty new to Linux OS. Maybe I'll just wait until there's a new kernel. Thanks, though!

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2022, 07:41:43 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I looked through the online specs guides of my laptop (https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_3_15ITL05/IdeaPad_3_15ITL05_Spec.pdf) and it seems like either, according to some other sites I looked at on Google, Linux Lite only supports Synaptics touchpads (I think mine is Precision, according to page 4 of the pdf I posted) or I need to just wait for Linux to make a driver for my touchpad, seeing as my laptop might be a little TOO new, lol.

If it only supports Synaptics touchpads, is there any to use a Synaptics driver for my laptop? This site (https://mspoweruser.com/enable-precision-touchpad-drivers-non-precision-pc/) says you can use Precision drivers on non-precision touchpads, so I'm wondering if you can do the opposite and use Synaptics drivers on non-Synaptics touchpads. If it is possible, I need a step-by-step walkthrough of how to install the Synaptics driver... or any touchpad driver that will work! Lol.

Read here https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000150104/precision-xps-ubuntu-general-touchpad-mouse-issue-fix?lwp=rt Instructions are clear and the process seems fairly easy to follow. One thing, where it reads sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04 change that for
sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-20.04 since that's the current version. Also, before doing any of this, I highly recommend performing a backup; better safe, than sorry.  :55:

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2022, 01:35:22 AM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:42:49 PM by JaymzRG »

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2022, 12:38:06 AM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@JaymzRG
I didn't wanna try this Ire Xe solution because it says it's for Ubuntu 20.04 (I'm using Linux Lite) and already messed up one OS trying another "Tear-free" tweak I found on other sites. I really don't wanna reinstall the OS again, lol.

Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu.  :55:

Oh. ok! Lol. I was able to get rid of the screen tearing but upgrading the kernel to 5.16.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 12:39:37 AM by JaymzRG »

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 11:41:55 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@JaymzRG
I didn't wanna try this Ire Xe solution because it says it's for Ubuntu 20.04 (I'm using Linux Lite) and already messed up one OS trying another "Tear-free" tweak I found on other sites. I really don't wanna reinstall the OS again, lol.

Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu.  :55:

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Good news! I figured out what the problem was with the newer kernels not loading on startup. I had to disable Secure Boot in BIOS/UEFI. No more screen tearing and I can connect an external screen via HDMI for screen mirroring.

I'm using Linux Lite 5.8, Kernel 5.16 now.

The F11/F12 screen brightness buttons is still not working and the touchpad is still not showing up in "Mouse and Touchpad." Hopefully, those are minor adjustments that I have to find. Does anyone have any suggestions for these?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 09:04:21 PM by JaymzRG »

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 03:52:35 PM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@JaymzRG

1st thing to check is after installing updates, is to check "Install Drivers"
You can find this on the Welcome Screen, Menu (type the name)..
Under the Additional Drivers you may see additional drivers for your system...

Under Control Panel:
Also for video - you may want to check "Display" and can try different resolution/refresh configurations.

"Mouse and Touchpad" also listed - Under devices, next to device on the far right ensure button is enabled.

"Power Manager" which you've found, you can adjust the settings in the tab.
My laptop is still on LL4.8 but I believe the screens/functionality are the same...

Any of the programs listed or on the system can also be searched - click the menu button and type the name... i.e. type Lite and all the programs specific will resolve.

One other piece of advice - I would make a backup via TimeShift, is like a Last Know Good Config..
Should you attempt to install drivers or apply fixes to correct the hardware - you can easily revert back to the current/pre state.
Then once you're happy - you can delete the old and make another back up...

Keeping in line with easy fixes or those easily reverted...
What I would try next, is a newer kernel.. Your using 5.4 perhaps a newer kernel..
Search for "Lite Tweaks" then "Kernel Installer".. I would maybe try 5.8 then 5.10 or 5.12 .. you dont have to try each one.. BUT I would try the lower then next higher = so when you reboot (you'll have to) you will automatically boot to the HIGHEST...

You can remove old kernels with "Kernel Remover" in tweaks...
FYI WHEN REMOVING...
You cannot remove the in use kernel - safety net as to not break system...
IF the new kernel does not work or the system does not like it (say things stop working)..
Return to the last working kernel by rebooting - then on the "Grub Screen" - choose "Advanced" then choose the desired kernel (5.4) ...

To confirm what kernel you're using/booted to
uname -r

If you want to try an older kernel = same as above but you'll want to choose the "Advanced" on grub to select the older..

If joy is found - you can use "Kernel Remover" to any other tested kernels... But I'd keep 5.4.xxx -- I like to keep the previous kernel or 2 just to make sure all is good :)

** This sounds like a lot - but its not really **
LL has simplified a lot of this functionality and is all GUI based (less the 1 command I provided)

And every listed here is easily recoverable.

It says "no additional drivers available" in Additional Drivers.

Mouse and Touchpad only lists the external mouse I'm using in the drop-down menu.

All newer kernels I installed with the Kernel Installer say that is has an "invalid signature" and that I need to "load the kernel first" at start-up.

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ITL05 laptop

Is this your laptop? https://www.coolblue.be/en/product/878441/lenovo-ideapad-3-15itl05-81x800cvmb-azerty.html Well, if that's the case, it uses the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics processor and you might want to read here https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/iris-xe-max-graphics/index.html An excerpt:
While support for the Intel Iris Xe Graphics processor has already been integrated into Linux* and integrated into Linux-based distributions such as Ubuntu 20.04.1, enabling work for the Intel Iris Xe MAX graphics processor in Linux* is ongoing.
In that same link, they
provide early access to that software and instructions to configure an Ubuntu 20.04.1 system so you can take advantage of both graphics adapters today.
Which are not trivial. I think that's the issue; the driver for that GPU isn't being loaded, and your inxi output kind of confirms that cause it says:
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A bus ID: 0000:00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev
  unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6
  direct render: Yes
It should list the driver as:
driver: i915
At least according to that link I shared above. Instead, it's using the fbdev driver https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/4-fbdev/
fbdev is an Xorg driver for framebuffer devices. This is a non-accelerated driver, the following framebuffer depths are supported: 8, 15, 16, 24. All visual types are supported for depth 8, and TrueColor visual is supported for the other depths. Multi-head configurations are supported.

I would try a new kernel, 5.11+ and see if that makes things better.

------

Some have said that if you switch from Xorg to Wayland, that can also fix screen-tearing, but have no idea where to go in Lite.

Also, can anyone help me figure out hot to do the following:

- Figure out how to install the Synaptics driver. It seems to be missing and is what the problem is with the touchpad not working at all.
- How to use the HDMI output to connect to an external screen. I was able to mirror it with Windows 11 with ease, but get "no input" with Linux.
- Enable the F11/F12 buttons to adjust screen brightness.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:56:25 PM by JaymzRG »

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Lots of solutions being thrown at me. Thank you all, first of all, lol.

I'll try these and let you know which work! See you all soon!

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 02:42:51 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I just bought a Lenovo Ideapad 3 15ITL05 laptop

Is this your laptop? https://www.coolblue.be/en/product/878441/lenovo-ideapad-3-15itl05-81x800cvmb-azerty.html Well, if that's the case, it uses the Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics processor and you might want to read here https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/devices/iris-xe-max-graphics/index.html An excerpt:
While support for the Intel Iris Xe Graphics processor has already been integrated into Linux* and integrated into Linux-based distributions such as Ubuntu 20.04.1, enabling work for the Intel Iris Xe MAX graphics processor in Linux* is ongoing.
In that same link, they
provide early access to that software and instructions to configure an Ubuntu 20.04.1 system so you can take advantage of both graphics adapters today.
Which are not trivial. I think that's the issue; the driver for that GPU isn't being loaded, and your inxi output kind of confirms that cause it says:
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A bus ID: 0000:00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev
  unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6
  direct render: Yes
It should list the driver as:
driver: i915
At least according to that link I shared above. Instead, it's using the fbdev driver https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/4-fbdev/
fbdev is an Xorg driver for framebuffer devices. This is a non-accelerated driver, the following framebuffer depths are supported: 8, 15, 16, 24. All visual types are supported for depth 8, and TrueColor visual is supported for the other depths. Multi-head configurations are supported.

I would try a new kernel, 5.11+ and see if that makes things better.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 10:54:42 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

The Tiger Lake 11 gen (1st rel 12/20) released code to the open 5.10 kernel first. Older kernels may or may not be full featured.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 10:14:46 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@JaymzRG

1st thing to check is after installing updates, is to check "Install Drivers"
You can find this on the Welcome Screen, Menu (type the name)..
Under the Additional Drivers you may see additional drivers for your system...

Under Control Panel:
Also for video - you may want to check "Display" and can try different resolution/refresh configurations.

"Mouse and Touchpad" also listed - Under devices, next to device on the far right ensure button is enabled.

"Power Manager" which you've found, you can adjust the settings in the tab.
My laptop is still on LL4.8 but I believe the screens/functionality are the same...

Any of the programs listed or on the system can also be searched - click the menu button and type the name... i.e. type Lite and all the programs specific will resolve.

One other piece of advice - I would make a backup via TimeShift, is like a Last Know Good Config..
Should you attempt to install drivers or apply fixes to correct the hardware - you can easily revert back to the current/pre state.
Then once you're happy - you can delete the old and make another back up...

Keeping in line with easy fixes or those easily reverted...
What I would try next, is a newer kernel.. Your using 5.4 perhaps a newer kernel..
Search for "Lite Tweaks" then "Kernel Installer".. I would maybe try 5.8 then 5.10 or 5.12 .. you dont have to try each one.. BUT I would try the lower then next higher = so when you reboot (you'll have to) you will automatically boot to the HIGHEST...

You can remove old kernels with "Kernel Remover" in tweaks...
FYI WHEN REMOVING...
You cannot remove the in use kernel - safety net as to not break system...
IF the new kernel does not work or the system does not like it (say things stop working)..
Return to the last working kernel by rebooting - then on the "Grub Screen" - choose "Advanced" then choose the desired kernel (5.4) ...

To confirm what kernel you're using/booted to
uname -r

If you want to try an older kernel = same as above but you'll want to choose the "Advanced" on grub to select the older..

If joy is found - you can use "Kernel Remover" to any other tested kernels... But I'd keep 5.4.xxx -- I like to keep the previous kernel or 2 just to make sure all is good :)

** This sounds like a lot - but its not really **
LL has simplified a lot of this functionality and is all GUI based (less the 1 command I provided)

And every listed here is easily recoverable.

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 01:28:10 AM »

JaymzRG

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I tried the newest Mint, Ubuntu 20.04 and a clean install of Lite 5.8. None fixed any of the problems. On Lite 5.8 right now.

Upon further research, I think I might just not have a Synaptic touchpad driver. Is there any way to install it instead of whatever I have now?

I still don't understand why Linux has such problems with screen tearing, too. I'm really considering giving up on Linux entirely and going back to Windows and just cloning the original Windows drive to the new 1TB drive.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section