You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Requesting Help with Disable Hibernation / Remove from Power Options

Author (Read 6167 times)

Re: Requesting Help with Disable Hibernation / Remove from Power Options
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Mart,

there is a tutorial on the newly added feature, from LL 3.4 release, how to remove Hibernation from Log Out Menu in the first post of this thread. Using Lite Tweaks.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-3-4-final-released/msg30461/#msg30461

Alternative to Deepin, Kylin - http://cn.ubuntu.com/desktop/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:25:18 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:27:12 PM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify my reason for wanting to disable hibernation, my other dual boot distro is deepin, it does not have hibernation as an option whereas LL does.

Therefore, my concern is that by sharing a single swap partition I may hibernate LL  - possibly by mistake (since the hibernate option is in the LL log-out menu by default) - and then mistakenly boot into deepin and so lose the data already held in swap from the LL hibernation.

Please see -

"Are there any side effects when two distros share a swap partition?"

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5656/are-there-any-side-effects-when-two-distros-share-a-swap-partition

Therefore, alternatively, could a solution be just to remove the hibernation option in the log-out menu by using an xfce configuration tweak? - Which I don't know how to do, either.

If this xfce workaround is simpler, can someone explain to me how to do that (remove the hibernation option from the log-out menu).
Still running 3.8 and lovin' it  (running 5.0 as a triple boot)

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Distros like Ubuntu have gone to swap files because issues can arise on the bigger RAM and faster CPU machines of today under heavy RAM usage load. Dual booting can produce one or the other effect, either one system shuts down to slow, or the other system boots up to slow. Swap files rather than partitions partially solves that shutdown/startup issue. I have used both with multiple booted Linux OSs but for heavy load (outside of RAM limits) computing dedicated swap partitions are still better. This situation will never arise for daily users. Either/or is fine for normal users and swap files are more convenient for new OS installation in some cases. It used to be that you had to install Debian first or the installer would create another swap partition and the UIDs would get messed up in Deb. I've had as many as eight different Linux OSs including Deb using the same swap partition with no issues, other than changing fstab entries occasionally after new installations. You can install LL without swap and create a swap file afterwards, or use the existing swap partition on the drive. I doubt the hibernation issue could cause any issue for a normal user. Maybe if you have 64gig of RAM and do a lot of graphics work.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

I am unclear on the thought that disabling hibernation safely shares the swap partition.  The swap partition will only be used by one bootable operating system at a time.  But as far as sharing the swap partition goes, consider the following:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/377516/sharing-of-swap-partiton-between-linux-systems
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:36:36 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x

Requesting Help with Disable Hibernation / Remove from Power Options
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:12:52 PM »

Mart

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

I have an all Linux dual-boot set-up, with, of course, Linux Lite as my main daily driver.

To save disc space I would like both systems to share a single swap partition, but to do this safely I would like to disable hibernate and remove it from the power options (I have already removed hibernate from the log out menu through Lite Tweaks).

I found the following tutorial online -

https://sites.google.com/site/easytipsforlinux/disable-hibernate-and-suspend

- but could not get it to work. I have also found many similar tutorials to this one, with one or two variations, but have found that none of them work either.

I have also tried using both the /etc and /var directories and the  ”localauthority/50-local.d/ ”  folder for the hack, but still no luck.

So, does anyone have a strategy for achieving the same result (disable hibernate/ remove from power options) but in a clear and easy to follow tutorial for an intermediate Linux user like me?

If such an alternative strategy/tutorial exists and works, I might even consider creating separate swap files for my Linux Lite 3.6 install and my other dual-boot OS since this seems to be the general direction of travel for swap in Linux since the release of Ubuntu 17.04.

“ Ubuntu installs Swapfile during installation -

http://linuxbsdos.com/2017/04/18/swap-partition-out-swap-file-in-on-ubuntu-17-04/

- Jerry “
Still running 3.8 and lovin' it  (running 5.0 as a triple boot)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section