Software - Support > Other

restore duplicity backup

<< < (3/3)

MarRic:
Minesheep,

These are personal files (receipts, statements, spreadsheets, graphics files I like to work with and photos). So not a lot of "quantity" but the spreadsheets have data from crafts I make to sell, so they are important. I thought I was doing what I needed to do by running a backup when I had made multiple changes in things or added more photos to my library. The last time I deleted the old backups and ran a new full one. But believe me, after this experience, I will never bother with a backup again. Going forward I will just make more than one "copy" of my files/photos on the a couple of external hdds. Linux Lite is so easy to install and set up like I want, I really don't need the "system" backed up anyway.

I don't see how to tell what the sizes of the files were, but the largest photos were probably 2-3MB. A little more than half the volumes are photos, and lol I don't know how many there were. It literally was 2 years of files - since I had gotten the xps laptop. I am grateful that I have a couple of USB drives with my photos from before the laptop. This is the name of the manifest:

"duplicity-full.20200805T052212Z.manifest"

I'm just getting ready to try some different commands. It amazes me how many different ways there are to attempt to do something in Linux. It would help if I understood it all better, but I muddle through, because I refuse to use MSW.

minesheep:
You have non encrypted backup on your external hdd? 416 volumes gives you total backup size of 10400MB or about 10GB is this correct? Did you only have 10GB of data to backup? When was your last full backup (the backup starting with duplicity-full)?

MarRic:
Thanks stevef, looking through both links, very similar to other things I've tried, but will try some more. I will try asking some questions there.

stevef:
Have you tried the instructions given in this link ?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Help/Restore/WorstCase

That web site also has a support option

There is also a forum on

https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup

Good luck

MarRic:
 Motherboard failed DELLxps13 :'( . I had done a full backup 2 months prior with deja-dup (duplicity). I am unable to restore from deja-dup. When I select the external drive and folder from the restore button it says “No backups to restore”. There are 416 volumes listed in the manifest (opened with text editor). Everything is there – I just can’t get to it. Also tried several terminal commands found on the web from different sources but nothing is working – possibly because I am not replacing things in the command correctly – it is 2 years of data I would like to get back. 
I also pulled the hard drive from xps13 and used a usb SSD case hoping to be able to pull my data that way, but it doesn’t “load” and if I use the “disk” function, it sees it but says “no Media”.
Can anyone help? Or if there is another forum that would be better to ask on, please advise. Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version