Software - Support > Other

Problems with apt-get/apt when installing or removing packages.

(1/2) > >>

Moltke:

--- Quote ---No bro! I wasn't doing that. By the way, what do you mean with modify/remaster Linux Lite .iso file?
--- End quote ---

I thought you were trying to do that since you removed/installed whisker-menu which is already installed by default, that and the fact you were using root to do such basic things. Remaster means modify the original .iso file; remove/install pkgs, make your own customizations, so it's a bit different.

--- Quote ---What do you mean with wrong path? I used sudo -i for root. I'm not an expert! Is there any problem when I'm running everything in root?
--- End quote ---

Usually once should not use/become root unless strictly necessary, i.e. modify certain system files the regular user can't. It's a bit risky since you could damage your system beyond repair; root can do anything and that includes break things.

alexander06_1:

--- Quote from: Jerry on December 19, 2020, 11:30:44 PM ---In 3.8 xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin is a dependency of xfce4-goodies. To remedy the problem, only install the xfce4-goodies features you will actually need.

Fix:

1. DON'T DO ANYTHING AS ROOT
2. REFER TO RULE 1

now:

1. Open a Terminal, do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get remove xfce4-goodies
--- End code ---

or:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get remove xfce4-goodies xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
--- End code ---

go here - https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/xfce4-goodies

install the actual software you need, eg:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get install xfce4-weather-plugin
--- End code ---

3.8 will no longer get updates and be secure, consider moving to Series 4.x or 5.x soon.

--- End quote ---

That actually worked bro, thank you!! ;)

alexander06_1:

--- Quote from: Moltke on December 19, 2020, 06:15:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: alexander06_1 on December 19, 2020, 11:40:18 AM ---Hi there guys!  :)

I'm a newbie in Linux world and since a days ago I've had the following troubles when I want to install or remove packages:

I don't know what
--- Code: ---xfce4-goodies : Depends: xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin but it is not going to be installed
--- End code ---
is or means. And I neither know what is the
--- Code: ---apt-get -f install
--- End code ---
command use for.

When I run
--- Code: ---apt-get -f install
--- End code ---
I have the following response:

By the way, I'm running Linux Lite 3.8 for 32bits. Thanks!! ;)

--- End quote ---

Are you trying to modify/remaster Linux Lite .iso file? Looks like it. Mind you, everything is hard-coded and making a custom one might prove to be real difficult to achieve.

--- End quote ---

No bro! I wasn't doing that. By the way, what do you mean with modify/remaster Linux Lite .iso file?

alexander06_1:

--- Quote from: trinidad on December 19, 2020, 04:32:25 PM ---Your terminal prompt looks like you're in the wrong file path. What command did you use to get to root and why are you running root at all?

TC

--- End quote ---

What do you mean with wrong path? I used sudo -i for root. I'm not an expert! Is there any problem when I'm running everything in root?

Jerry:
In 3.8 xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin is a dependency of xfce4-goodies. To remedy the problem, only install the xfce4-goodies features you will actually need.

Fix:

1. DON'T DO ANYTHING AS ROOT
2. REFER TO RULE 1

now:

1. Open a Terminal, do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get remove xfce4-goodies
--- End code ---

or:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get remove xfce4-goodies xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
--- End code ---

go here - https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/xfce4-goodies

install the actual software you need, eg:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get install xfce4-weather-plugin
--- End code ---

3.8 will no longer get updates and be secure, consider moving to Series 4.x or 5.x soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version