Software - Support > Other

Plugging In Iphone Disables Wifi

<< < (2/3) > >>

Clean:
@trinidad Thank you for the reply!!!

I appreciate the Bluetooth advice.  I will definitely try and implement that in the future.

Here are the results of your terminal queries:

--- Quote ---
--- Code: ---sudo iwconfig
--- End code ---
lo        no wireless extensions.

enp9s0    no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=off   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

--- Code: ---sudo ifconfig wlan0 IEEE 802.11 down
--- End code ---
   IEEE: Host name lookup failure
   ifconfig: `--help' gives usage information.

--- Code: ---sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
--- End code ---
   SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
--- End quote ---

As you can see I entered it wrong the first time.  But I do believe that it was entered in correctly the second time, using "wlan0."
If I did not enter it correctly let me know.

"operation not possible due to RF-kill?"  So are you saying that hooking up my iphone installed RF-Kill on my LL laptop?
Is RF-Kill an installed application on Ubuntu based Linux distros?
If it's Apple that's pretty screwy if you ask me.  I have used this program for something in the past.  But it has been years ago.

What are my options here? 

Clean:
@ stevef Thank you for the reply!!!

--- Quote ---Yes, the restore point tool is called 'System Restore Utility' and uses a program called Timeshift.
Found under Menu-> System->
However it only runs on demand (not automatically) so unless you have run it fairly recently it won't help here.
--- End quote ---

Evidently I do not have enough SSD space to run this program and have not run it manually so I doubt I even have a usable restore point.  Something I should probably maintain in the future once I reformat my OS.

I do have a wifi symbol at the bottom right-hand side of the screen.  It looks like a monitor but has an "x" indicating no network.
I am unable to turn on wifi via network manager, it is grayed out and not selectable.  Enable networking box is selected.
My version of LL does not have "Advanced Network Configuration."  It does have network manager, which just shows the WiFi newtworks I've been previously connected to and a bit of their information.  It does not show available networks, nor does it show my neighbors' wifi, which is always listed.

--- Quote from: stevef on April 28, 2022, 03:08:19 AM ---

--- Code: ---sudo lshw -class network
--- End code ---

at the prompt followed by return and your password when asked.  Use the mouse to select and copy the result and post it back here using another machine if necessary.
--- End quote ---

Entering that code into the terminal results in:

--- Code: ---*-network                 
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
       logical name: enp9s0
       version: 12
       serial: 00:1d:09:52:23:85
       capacity: 100Mbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.30 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
       resources: irq:24 memory:fe8fc000-fe8fffff ioport:de00(size=256)
  *-network DISABLED
       description: Wireless interface
       product: BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
       vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 01
       serial: 00:1f:e1:1b:8c:82
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=4.15.0-176-generic firmware=666.2 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
       resources: irq:17 memory:fe7fc000-fe7fffff
--- End code ---

I did have to copy and paste to another machine I did my best to keep the layout as it was in the terminal.

Let me know if you see anything from that.  It shows my Wi-Fi network has been disabled. 

trinidad:

--- Quote ---I cannot tell you how often the Wi-Fi of an older model laptop/desktop goes down from plugging in an iPhone
--- End quote ---
Yeah it's a bad network manager in the phone which has been forced on Apple users via itunes and some other apps. It actually changes settings because it uses USB root on the phone connection. First off from now on connect with bluetooth instead of plugging in and/or shut off the phone while it's plugged in to the computer before unplugging it.

Unplug the phone and shut down your LL computer. Start it again and see if the netwrok manager returns. If not open a terminal and run the following code.

--- Code: ---sudo iwconfig
--- End code ---
If your wifi interface (probably something like wlx... and a bunch of numbers) is not listed as managed run the codes below in order.

--- Code: ---sudo ifconfig yourinterfacename down
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---sudo iwconfig yourinterfacename mode managed
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---sudo ifconfig yourinterfacename up
--- End code ---
Not a Linux Lite error. Just a little joyful piece of Apple spyware.

TC

stevef:

--- Quote ---My question is, is there a restore point on Linux lite?
--- End quote ---

Yes, the restore point tool is called 'System Restore Utility' and uses a program called Timeshift.
Found under Menu-> System->
However it only runs on demand (not automatically) so unless you have run it fairly recently it won't help here.

Do you have a network icon in the taskbar (lower right) near the date/time and speaker icon ?

This may look like a bar graph or two shapes representing a plug/socket on a diagonal.
I'm guessing this is where you are looking when you report seeing no Wi-Fi networks.

Does right clicking on it show both Enable Networking and Enable Wi-Fi ticked ?  If not enable both and try again.

If that doesn't help try

Menu-> Settings-> Advanced Network Configuration

Is there a Wi-Fi connection listed ?  If so let us know the details.

If neither of the above help, open a terminal session by pressing the three keys 'Ctrl' 'Alt' and 't' at the same time.  Maximise the resulting window and type

--- Code: ---sudo lshw -class network
--- End code ---

at the prompt followed by return and your password when asked.  Use the mouse to select and copy the result and post it back here using another machine if necessary.

JanetBiggar:
So I may not be much help here as this situation has not occurred with me despite using LL 3.8 and 5.0 with more than 2 dozen old and even older laptops.
However, my suggestion until,someone more knowledgeable replies, is what about picking up a WiFi USB?

I have resorted to using these on occasion when the WiFi stops working on some of my student placed laptops. The majority are plug and play, just make sure they are linux compatible, and they are very reasonable cost wise. I haven’t bought one recently, but in Canada they are probably between $10-15 Canadian so converted to USD they might be free (lol  :011:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version