You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

please help, cant download a 4.4 GB ISO file

Author (Read 10706 times)

Re: please help, cant download a 4.4 GB ISO file
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:37 AM »

Alaughingclow

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 24Gb
Microsoft will give you what you want,it is free,i downloaded 2.2gb Windows 10 iso file.
From here;
https://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/download-windows-10-iso.html
https://official-kmspico.com/windows-10-iso-download/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:32:43 AM by Alaughingclow »

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 03:05:45 AM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1.4 GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: on board

Hi Kissbaby3

I was able to successfully download the iso using the standalone download manager-uget. The d/l link in your previous posts no longer work so I had to create a new one.

Uget is in the repository so it can be easily installed. I'm testing this on LL 3.x with a wireless connection.

To d/l the iso using uget - right click on the Microsoft download button and use the "save link as" to save the link and now paste that link into uget to start the d/l. If you have more questions ask here and I'll do my best to elaborate.

Scott

very interesting , i will install this "Uget" and try it out.
His windows machine upstairs download the file using the windows 10 media creation tool, the file size was just under 4 GB(windows 10 home 64bit) .
some good suggestions here , also another commenter suggested "DownThemall" , i have tried that once way back , might look at it again.

i want to thank every one for the help, so even tho i now have the ISO file in question, i am going to test downloading files this big when i have the chance or the time.
this is the kind of stuff i like, if i run into a bump, i like to see if i can jump over it , "happy happy" . so i will call this post "open for the fun of it", if you want me to label it something else , let me know and i will.

again, thank you , hugs ,

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 06:09:22 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
Also when I know you're using Firefox I would have choosed to use the addon DownThemall. Thing about that one is if a download halts, you can resume download again.

Haven't tried the download manager as mention by Scott so I can't compare.
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 07:36:04 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics

Hi Kissbaby3

I was able to successfully download the iso using the standalone download manager-uget. The d/l link in your previous posts no longer work so I had to create a new one.

Uget is in the repository so it can be easily installed. I'm testing this on LL 3.x with a wireless connection.

To d/l the iso using uget - right click on the Microsoft download button and use the "save link as" to save the link and now paste that link into uget to start the d/l. If you have more questions ask here and I'll do my best to elaborate.

Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 06:01:31 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

I agree with @trinidad , if the ISO is compressed using an external program (ZIP or something else) it could shrink a lot. Windows ISOs now have 3-4+ versions of Windows, if everything similar is compressed efficiently, the final file size can be quite smaller. If it's the straight *.ISO file though, it should be between 3GB and 4.5GB for standard Microsoft downloads. OEM images, like DELL can be quite bigger, 6.6GB for Win10Prox64 for example since I downloaded it today. Getting files in torrents can vary wildly in size and be risky business.

Maybe a good time to push your husband in Linux Lite (+ Wine maybe) ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
The downloaded ISO file is around 1.5 gig but the burned ISO size is about 4.5 gig. It's Windows which means it's compressed differently than a Linux ISO with a squash system. You will need 4 gig of Ram to burn it efficiently in Linux and your disk writer probably won't recognize the 4 gig size at first. You will have to adjust it manually to burn. I have burned W10 pro from Linux with Ubuntu disk writer with 4 gig of Ram on a core two duo Dell. It can be done.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Can you say something about what medium you're trying to download into, and what web browser you're using.

It may just be the file server that disconnects, and the normal reaction in most web browsers is that you need to restart the download and hope it finish next time.

i am using firefox 59.0.2 , i have tried  downloading the file on my desktop in a folder i have on my desktop (so i can find it easy) .
normally when a file cant completely download, it tell so , something like "failed of download cant be completed, or session expired" something like that.
but instead it say "download is complete", but its not, the windows 10 1803 , 4.4 GB iso file , says 1.4 GB, when its supposed to be a 4.4 GB big.
i am on a slow internet speed, its all i can afford at this time, but on his  windows machine, i have no problem downloading a file this big....it just takes a really long time.
i am using windows to download the file right now, and when its all done, i will tell you or everybody how big the file is on that machine.....
i still like  linux.  :-*
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:31:05 PM by kissbaby3 »

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
Can you say something about what medium you're trying to download into, and what web browser you're using.

It may just be the file server that disconnects, and the normal reaction in most web browsers is that you need to restart the download and hope it finish next time.
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

:-\ i use linux now 100% of the time, the windows 10 is my husbands PC, i keep it updated just for him.
i just dont want to update that PC through the windows update method is all, right now MS is rolling out the April update(windows 10 1803) version, its a 4.4 GB ISO file size.
i dont want to update his PC yet , i want to download the ISO file and first create a windows 10 1803 DVD encase i have to do a clean install someday.
linux lite 3.8 cant seem to download a file 4 GB or larger. am i wrong ?.

to test this , i went upstairs , and set his windows 10 to metered connection(he has windows 10 home) .
i then went to the MS site and downloaded the windows 10 media creation tool, and only having it download the ISO file.
when done, i will tell you how big the file size is when completed.
that will confirm whether or not Linux Lite 3.8 has a problem downloading a file that big.
in the mean time, i hope the link i provided will give a Linux user a chance to test the download , and see if the problem can be tested at their end.
i think this is helpful because , Linux Lite 4.0 is in beta testing , sure dont want the final 4.0 release to have this problem, that will frustrate alot of linx users and people who use both windows and linux..... wouldn't be irritating trying to download any file 4GB or larger using Linux ?.... and then having to turn on a windows machine just to download a 4GB  or larger file size , whether it be a ISO file or any file that size ?, it irritates me , it might irritate others .....
i keep calling his windows PC , my PC, i work on it , thats why, ha ha .

again here is the download link for testing purposes, so what is the size of the completed downloaded file at your end.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

please help, cant download a 4.4 GB ISO file
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

my computer upstairs is windows 10 home 64bit,
i need to download the ISO file for windows 10, the iso file is the windows 10 April update(they are calling it that)
i tried to download the 4.4 GB iso file using firefox 59.0.2, on Linux lite, so i can create a windows 10 DVD.
but it keeps only downloading 1.4 GB and says download complete.
does any one else have this problem ?, on their linux machine.
can some one please test this out for me ?. and then tell me what the ISO size is at their end ?.
here is the link. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
 :o
P.S.
i can download the iso file from my windows machine using their media creation tool, but i wanted to download the file  using my linux machine.
please help, if you click on the link, it wont give the media creation tool, it will only do that if your on a windows machine.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section