You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Not allowed to open disk

Author (Read 35744 times)

Re: Not allowed to open disk
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Simply put -- when you plugged the disk into the other machine it wrote to the disk. You should have reset the BIOS before plugging the disk back into the original machine and run fsck on the disk before booting which would have allowed you to use apt to change any firmware or system configurations that had changed from original ahead of new boot. Swapping disks between machines is not always automatically configurable. --
* Also for future reference if you are content to keep swapping the disk between machines --ordinary user files that you copy to the disk should be on a separate partition, as well as backups, and any OSs on the disk -- each on their own partition. Then you will not have permission errors to open and copy files or access backups. As far as a disk with an OS installed I/O usually takes ownership of any drive you plug into SATA 1 or 2 because of RAM type differences and -- depending on the MOBO after boot changes will write to the disk.
* Also Linux maps external drives in a disk caddy differently, either via USB or your network card under ethernet,  which allows you to plug in multiple machines to external drives without permission errors.   
TC

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:58:57 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I decided to wipe the drive and reload LL. There are too many options that are now no longer working. something has corrupted the OS.

Let us know how it fairs with a restore of the OS - its possible something had, as you mentioned other apps wouldnt open...
Once you have it installed and happy :) Make a backup .. TimeShift - should you need to restore you can...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I decided to wipe the drive and reload LL. There are too many options that are now no longer working. something has corrupted the OS.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm not longer able to do a screen shot on ANY error that pops up! As soon as an error shows up the screen is locked,nothing happens. No right click is active
I may have to wipe the drive and reload LL.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Welcome to Linux Lite 4.8 rapidrob

Tuesday 24 March 2020, 07:40:51
Memory Usage: 376/7975MB (4.71%)
Disk Usage: 22/458GB (5%)
Support - https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ (Right click, Open Link)

rapidrob  ~  sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
[sudo] password for rapidrob:
 rapidrob  ~  Greyhound01!
Greyhound01!: command not found
 rapidrob  ~  sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
mount: /mnt: /dev/sdb1 already mounted on /mnt.
 rapidrob  ~  ls /mnt
'Backups 2019'   Documents   lost+found   Music   Pictures   timeshift
 rapidrob  ~  #

The files are in my "files " folder in LL under 500 GB Hitachi HDD as well as a GUI icon of a hard drive. Normally I just click on either and the files are shown as a thumbnail menu.
Now the GUI is slightly grayed out. If I double-click the GUI icon the file opens and starts to loads the thousands files all at once locking up my computer.
This has never happened before. No idea why the HDD is locked down. I do not use a pass word to open the HDD the files are in a normal format.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 07:00:17 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

"I pulled it ( hot swap-able ) and tried it in my other LL computer and all files popped-up as you'd expect them too"

Did you run the computer that the disk came out of while the disk was missing? If so you may need to reset your BIOS after plugging the disk back in. Not all SATA connections are hot-pluggable with some BIOS. As @firenice03 suggests that can effect Linux mapping of the drive.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 07:01:19 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Rapidrob So I dont think any of the programs you installed/removed caused the issue..

Just to make sure - this disk is not encrypted??

I don't see a mount point for sdb1 in the fstab..
How is the file system typically accessed? What directory (i.e. thru /mnt or /media or /data) ??
Did it show up automatically after boot to the directory? or do you issue mount commands or disks GUI?

Thus far.. I think it lost it mappings..
lsblk - shows the disk and partition which fdisk and the other commands confirm...

Assuming you don't already have anything mounted to /mnt (confirm with ls /mnt) - do you get the same error with
Code: [Select]
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
If no error or ouput... do
ls /mnt
**Update**
Oh - maybe easier to copy and paste the output into the post..
Once you have it pasted - highlight the text and click the "#" icon... To surround it in code context..

If the above works - I may have you repost the output of blkid - it'll be easier to copy/paste UUIDs.. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 07:08:05 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

computer info:

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The HDD.....sdb1 has been there since the get go. Has worked for two years. I pulled it ( hot swap-able ) and tried it in my other LL computer and all files popped-up as you'd expect them too.
This just started to happen today after I removed Virtualbox to speed up my boot time ( more than two minutes)
Now I no longer have permission to open the HDD. It will not mount. It holds backups and my music/photo files.

I did add DeadBeef to play music as VLC's quality is not up to par yesterday, and the software worked just fine.
As I posted, I shut down last night, re-booted this morning and the sdb1 HDD cannot be opened in this computer anymore.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 03:44:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Some added info - this may help those who may be looking on..

Is this the same disk that LL is installed? or is this a secondary "data" disk?
How was it added?
- Was the disk there during install or added after the fact? Was the disk "removed" either physically or via commands (if so what?)

How was this disk formatted - # partitions and Format (NTFS/EXT4 etc) is it an LVM?

Did you during the time the disk was mounted, set up or add disk encryption?

Is this an internal (SATA) or external (USB) connected disk.
Have you tried mounting the disk as a USB (mass storage) device?

perhaps posting the output of the..
lsblk
sudo fdisk -l

Maybe worth a check if UUID's match if it was added to fstab
cat /etc/fstab
blkid

As much info as you can provide about the disk/system will ensure those to help have the necessary info..

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Now, none of the ADD/Remove Software Apps in the pop-up menu will open! No error or password question, nothing happens!

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Disk is no longer mounted and the original error is now back. PLEASE HELP!

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 12:41:19 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

This has become a real problem. The disk is now mounted but NEVER shown in FILES and it cannot be opened if clicked on.
It is listed under DRIVES but it will not open. " cannot mount file" is shown.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 12:29:51 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

edited-problem came back.see below
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:34:04 PM by Rapidrob »

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »

Rapidrob

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

This morning I disabled VirtualBox to speed up my computer, could this cause the problem?
If so how do I restore VirtualBox?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section