You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Major lag after wake up from suspend

Author (Read 16619 times)

Re: Major lag after wake up from suspend
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
There was some mention in third (dell) link about problems not coming back at all from suspend because of of an nVidia video card.
This could be related... installing the nVidia driver was the first step but some command lines to manage hardware feature are also mentionned.

Also, in any case, I never tried it with Linux and this may be a questions for other member here.. I don't know how well Linux handles a Laptop with two videocards.
Some have special features activating the discrete (nVidia) card when using 3D/performance and using the "standard" integrated video card for "normal" desktop work.
This 'switching' even gave me trouble on a few Laptops with official manufacturer Windoze installations. :-S
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »

scottlovejoy3687

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i7-4710HQ

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated graphics/Nvidia GTX 860M
Thank you all for the suggestions and solutions. The first solution I tried was the one that involved changing the cpu mode from powersave to performance.  That didn't solve the problem.  Turning sleepsafe or whatever in the bios didn't work either.  It actually made the problem worse.  Turning swap off didn't work either.  I tried the msr solution and wrote a script for a service like they did in the solution, but that didn't work either.  I'm honestly confused why my computer is doing this in the first place.  If I don't suspend my computer at all, Linux Lite is just fine.  I might just back up my files and do a clean install and see if that fixes anything.

I don't know if this helps, but the specific model of my laptop is an MSI Apache GE70-2PE.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:18:35 PM by scottlovejoy3687 »

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Lots of different way to go.
Reading the links also mentions that turning off "SpeedStep" in my BIOS fixed the problem for some... but this seems to also disable TurboBoost I guess this would also consume more power because CPU would not clock down and stay at "default" frequency. I would try the other things first. ;)

Godd luck!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello scottlovejoy3687,

when you tried some solution on askUbuntu was this one of the ones you have tried yet? - https://askubuntu.com/questions/792605/ubuntu-16-04-lts-too-slow-after-suspend-and-resume

On this thread at reply #9 there is a different solution that you can try https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1548933#p1548933

and also some discussion in the same link of another way by turning swap off solving a similar issue.

For this problem these are the solutions on Dell community - https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Suspend-resume-problems-on-Ubuntu-18-04/td-p/6072410

A similar but going further solution is - http://nu-one.blogspot.com/2017/09/slow-cpu-after-resume-ubuntu-1604-lts.html

If you are unsure about doing any of these please await for one of the advanced members to look over and review the links (as I am not sure of the best route) but they will know which is more likely to be the one, or if there is a better way, and save you time.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:10:46 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »

scottlovejoy3687

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I said in the question that I do have the proprietary drivers installed.  I will try what you have suggested and report back if it works or not.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:56 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Hi,

Just in case the nouveau driver does not resume correctly and runs the video card at 100% on resume,
I would try installing the nVidia proprietary drivers first.
Second, I would go in the BIOS (using the DELETE, F10 or  F2 keys on boot, depends on computer brand) and checking the power options.
Either changing the S1, S3 / S5 powersaving mode and/or activating "Repost Video on resume" (lesser chance though) in the case the kernel/drivers are not able to handle the wake up process or the current configuraiton.

Good luck!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

Major lag after wake up from suspend
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »

scottlovejoy3687

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I’ve recently installed LL 4.4 on a circa 2014 gaming laptop. LL ran really smooth for the most part except when I would suspend the computer to put it to sleep.  When I woke up the computer, after unlocking, it becomes a lagging mess.  The usually smooth XFCE desktop lags when I try to switch between tabs and the mouse pointer is delayed when I move it around the screen. 

I’ve looked around the forums on askUbuntu and Ubuntu users have reported a problem with waking up from suspend.  It might be a problem with the kernel but I’m not sure.  The solutions on the forums have not worked for me.  One thing I have noticed though is that after waking my computer up, the fans in my laptop are running louder than usual and the xorg process is taking up more cpu than usual (15% - 50%).

I’ve installed the Nvidia proprietary drivers to play games, as the performance of Nouveau isn’t there just yet.  I don’t know if this might be the cause of the problem but I just wanted to give as much information as possible.  I hope I’m not the only one with this problem.

Thank you in advance.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section