You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Screenshots

Author (Read 3408 times)

Re: Screenshots
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
You don't have to be technically proficient at anything. People often over think or are intimidated by new tasks, especially in computing. All you need is the ability to follow clearly laid out steps, one by one.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
As it turns out, I'm a very sound-oriented guy. I write classical music, for example, which most people can't even imagine doing. But I'm talented that way. not so, at all, in the visual world. I can't draw the proverbial straight line. and learning to do something well that is so foreign to me, at this point in life, would only take time away from composing.

I'm afraid I'll have to just stumble along, and try as best I can.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »

smhardesty

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-6410 APU

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics × 4
Yep. Just like Moltke stated, you need to get out of the habit of "Save" or "Save as" if you intend to post the image online or share it wit others. Those two options save the file in Gimp's default format. You'll kind of need to "retrain" your way of thinking when wanting to save an image after editing it in Gimp. Start thinking "Export as" every time you edit a photo to post or share. Gimp offers the options of pretty much every file type there is and includes all the usual formats like .png, .bmp, gif, .jpg, etc, etc.

May I ask some questions to maybe assist? First, is there a reason you open your screenshots in Gimp? Are you doing a fair amount of editing before you post or share the image?  If you're not doing a considerable amount of editing, you might want to consider using a different viewer or image editor. I personally have installed Mirage for use as my quick image viewer, Pinta for editing when I don't need the power of Gimp, and then XnView for other reasons. Pinta is available in "Lite Software" so it's very easy to install. All three of these are available via Synaptic if you are familiar with it's use, so are easily installed. If you are new to image editing software, you might want to consider alternates to the Gimp. I love Gimp, but there can be a pretty steep learning curve associated with it. It is a powerful tool so I would recommend it be something you try and learn, especially if you intend to do image editing on a regular basis. If you're just learning, Pinta offers a "similar" experience, but not nearly as powerful as Gimp. I would also probably recommend you leave Xnview for "down the road" since it can be kind of intimidating to new users.

There are some other really great software choices for image viewing and editing. Some of the other guys on here will probably be more than happy to share their favorites and why they like them. Don't hesitate to ask. Also, I have the 4 pieces of software I have mentioned installed on a Lite ver 3.8 install and also on a ver 4.2 install and have never experienced any trouble with any of them. Just looking at your hardware info it doesn't seem like you would have any trouble at all running any of the 4.

Hope this kind of helps. Don't hesitate to ask me or anybody else questions. Somebody will have an answer for you.
Steve

If I was able to help, click my "Thank" link.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 05:43:45 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

My skills as far as posting screenshots are not good. I have done it successfully, but recently when I tried, I had a problem. I took the screenshot, opened it in Gimp, which saved it as an xcf file, and I then tried to upload it to Box.com. However, Box doesn't accept that kind of file. I tried to convert it one they did accept, but I don't seem to have a tool to do with.

Can someone tell me the best way to upload a screenshot to the forum? I have searched the manual on this, as well as tutorials, but came up with nothing.

Thanks  :-[

XCF is Gimp's default extension, just like PSD is for photoshop. You can convert the image with Gimp; open it with gimp, once it's open go to the menu bar and click on file, in the drop down menu look for "export as", click on it and a new window will open, in that window look for "select file type" at the bottom and click in the "+" symbol which will open a drop down menu where you can select the new file type; i.e jepg, png, gif and so on. Select the extension you want the file to be saved with and click on "export",  a new dialog box will open where you can select some settings to apply, simply click on "export" and the image will be saved with the extension of your choice. Next, you can upload that image using the service you want.

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:52:55 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Good luck :)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 10:48:15 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you Jerry, I'll do some practicing with it.

When you're 67, it can be easy to miss things ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 05:12:04 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/introductions/forum-posting-guidelines - not sure how you missed that one. Don't use box.com or any other upload site other than Imgur please.

Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:49:32 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

My skills as far as posting screenshots are not good. I have done it successfully, but recently when I tried, I had a problem. I took the screenshot, opened it in Gimp, which saved it as an xcf file, and I then tried to upload it to Box.com. However, Box doesn't accept that kind of file. I tried to convert it one they did accept, but I don't seem to have a tool to do with.

Can someone tell me the best way to upload a screenshot to the forum? I have searched the manual on this, as well as tutorials, but came up with nothing.

Thanks  :-[
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:14:38 PM by mdiemer »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section