You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

LL Uses all ram but not swap

Author (Read 4376 times)

Re: LL Uses all ram but not swap
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
These are the system requirements for the video game.
    •CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz.
    •RAM: 2GB.
    •GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1.
    •GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1.
    •HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files.
    •Java 6 Release 45. 
 :o 
Increasing the size of your swap, to 6 or 8 GB  may help. 
or installing CPU limit. In TERMINAL:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo apt-get install cpulimit 
The same package is in the synaptic package manager.
Then after it reaches the preset limit it will go to the swap.
I completely agree with JERRY....8 GB of RAM or more..
I have 8 GB of ram .. my mother board is capable of 32GB of RAM..
Every thing works better with the right coffee..Update your JAVA..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:51:07 PM by bernard stafford »
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,
Together we are LINUX...!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

This might be helpful:
Help! Linux Ate my RAM!

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 03:01:06 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x

What CPU do you have? Looking at Htop in your first post, you seem to have either a dual-core machine (without hyperthreading), or a single-core machine (with hyperthreading): from my experience neither of these types of CPU will be powerful enough to run Minecraft.

We tried Minecraft on the hardware listed below in my signature (except the Pi of course). The only set-up on which it worked satisfactorily, with a decent frame rate, was the Lenovo laptop - this machine has an i3-3110M chip, 4GB RAM (no swap) and an SSD. Though the CPU is a dual-core one, it is hyperthreaded and so it creates two further virtual cores, behaving a bit like a quad-core machine. Even if you upgraded your machine from HDD to SSD, I think the main weakness would still be the CPU: if you have less than an i3 chip, then the machine probably won't run fast enough for Minecraft.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:49:30 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »

Robert Junior

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near Minecraft without a mid to high end system and with at the very least 8gb of memory on any platform. 4gb leaves little room. Others may choose to guide you.

Tks for advice Jerry. But I have an similar notebook with LL 4.4 installed two days ago and running fine. Of course that fps stay at 25/30. but is enough for me see my little having some joy with me.

I just noticed that problem occurs with any program.. Ram fill up and Swap stay at 5Mb.

I need to find why swapiness setting is not working.This solve my problem

Regards

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:00:35 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near Minecraft without a mid to high end system and with at the very least 8gb of memory on any platform. 4gb leaves little room. Others may choose to guide you.

LL Uses all ram but not swap
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »

Robert Junior

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

Im using Linux Lite in a old notebook to play Minecraft with my little boy.

I made one machine install and every thing works fine, but second machine I suffer with a strange swap problem.

As I know Minecraft Java Edition uses a lot of ram and I can set the amount to reserve for java while starting game.

When I reserve 2GB for java the game loads and I can start play almost all Ram in use and only few mb used in swap.

Swap usage

Different from another machine that swaps grow im a way that seems normal to me like 600, 700, 900MB and keeps a secure amount of ram free. Already tried others swapiness combinations like 10 20 50 70 90, but nothing changes. A see a curious thing in Gparted the swap partition still off and I must enable it with swapon command

Partition boots like this: Swap off when boot

And then after right click swapon the swap is mounted and appears available in htop.

Noticed another strange info at Disks app. the swap allways show as unknow. mounted or umounted state. Unknow Partition

Btw I read something about this distro using a swap file instead partition, but I guess indifferent of type they should appears in use at htop.

Someone can guide me a direction. Im newby in linux but Im not give up a good fight. I really like that in linux.

Thanks you all.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section