You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite freezes up

Author (Read 12769 times)

Re: Linux Lite freezes up
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 10:46:58 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Erm... he said :
"One final freeze killed my computer. It was the SSD all along."
So changing the SSD hardrive fixed the problem, I guess.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

Steven Mason

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I just noticed when you first posted this question, in 2018. No wonder you installed LL 4.2! :-)

This is an old question, so if you're still here it would be nice to know if your problem is fixed.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 03:30:01 PM »

Steven Mason

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
So you installed a dual-boot system with Windows 10 and LL 4.2. You have no problems when using Windows 10.

When you installed LL 4.2 I assume you did all the updates? In my experience a fresh install of Linux has always been a little buggy until the first big batch of updates are installed.

I'm curious why you decided to install LL 4.2. If you want to install 4.X, why not 4.8? Or why aren't you installing LL 5.0? A newer version of LL might work better.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »

jack action

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
My brand new computer also freezes up.  First time with Linux also, so everything is new and got nothing to compare with.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or if it is related to this one as, in my case, only the mouse buttons and the keyboard are frozen.  I can still move the mouse pointer (but cannot click on anything).  The only option is to press the reset button on the computer and loose anything that wasn't saved.  It happens randomly with no particular programs (sometimes just the desktop), so it feels like a desktop problem.

UPDATE, March 20, 2019:

I still have the problem and learned to live with it, but I can now say that it is NOT a Linux problem.  My computer froze while I was in the BIOS, so the operating system has nothing to do with it.

I have two RAM slots and a single 16GB RAM memory module, so I switched it from one slot to the other, hoping it might be a simple hardware mismatch.  It feels like it freezes less often, but it still happens from time to time.

One final freeze killed my computer. It was the SSD all along. It froze and I couldn't write to or read from the SSD, therefore the OS couldn't start and the SSD couldn't be formatted. It was still under the 3-year warranty and it was honored by the company. But, without a SSD or HD, I had to run LL from a USB key while waiting for the new one through the mail.

Just another experience to recall this important step: BACK UP YOUR FILES! Thank God I did, otherwise I would have lost everything.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

If it's brand new hardware, and you think it's not a hardware issue, I would experiment with different kernels until I found the right one.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
I had 3 freeze-ups in about 3 days after installing LL4.2. I'm wondering if some of it had to do with the fact that my Wi-Fi card was in the process of failing as a hardware issue (this was happening even before installing 4.2, and so the Wi-Fi card sometimes worked and sometimes didn't - not sure if that caused issues for LL). My freeze-ups were the same way @jack action described.

UPDATE:
I later found out that my freeze-ups were due to hardware problems (bad sectors on hard disk). I made a separate post showing what I did for a (temporary) fix to make the computer stable and workable for now. https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/off-topic/update-about-my-system-hard-drive-issues-and-the-(hopeful)-solution/ So, if your system freezes up, you might want to take a look at that post in case it applies to your system.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:34:43 PM by Vera »
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

My brand new computer also freezes up.  First time with Linux also, so everything is new and got nothing to compare with.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or if it is related to this one as, in my case, only the mouse buttons and the keyboard are frozen.  I can still move the mouse pointer (but cannot click on anything).  The only option is to press the reset button on the computer and loose anything that wasn't saved.  It happens randomly with no particular programs (sometimes just the desktop), so it feels like a desktop problem.

THats what happens to me too.
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »

jack action

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

UPDATE, March 20, 2019:

I still have the problem and learned to live with it, but I can now say that it is NOT a Linux problem.  My computer froze while I was in the BIOS, so the operating system has nothing to do with it.

I have two RAM slots and a single 16GB RAM memory module, so I switched it from one slot to the other, hoping it might be a simple hardware mismatch.  It feels like it freezes less often, but it still happens from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:45:01 AM by jack action »

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi,

Random problems are the worst :(
Even if it's a new laptop, bad HDD or RAM can happen. Also, shipping can be a little rought for laptops.

If applicable, remove everything plugged-in except the power adapter to see if the problem still occurs.
We wouldn't want that Internet connected USB coffee mug heater be the culprit ;)

A lot of BIOSes have embeded harddrive tests, do a short test first (minutes) because the long one is... long (hours).

Windows "could" be able to deal differently with a memory problem, or, it just hasn't access the bad RAM portion.
When booting from a live Linux DVD/USB you have the option to "Test memory". This could tell you if memory is defective.
I have seen a quite a few times that just removing, cleaning connectors (with a white Steadler eraser) and reseating them solved problems.

Bonus question : Have you upgraded the RAM or added a memory module from original config? Different modules could also cause conflicts.

Cheers!

I havent upgraded the RAM, laptop has 8GB out of the box.
THe only things that are plugged in are the mouse and the ethernet cable.

I will run the memory test tomorrow. My Bios doesnt have a harddrive test embedded.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:26:17 PM by TMG1961 »

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

Random problems are the worst :(
Even if it's a new laptop, bad HDD or RAM can happen. Also, shipping can be a little rought for laptops.

If applicable, remove everything plugged-in except the power adapter to see if the problem still occurs.
We wouldn't want that Internet connected USB coffee mug heater be the culprit ;)

A lot of BIOSes have embeded harddrive tests, do a short test first (minutes) because the long one is... long (hours).

Windows "could" be able to deal differently with a memory problem, or, it just hasn't access the bad RAM portion.
When booting from a live Linux DVD/USB you have the option to "Test memory". This could tell you if memory is defective.
I have seen a quite a few times that just removing, cleaning connectors (with a white Steadler eraser) and reseating them solved problems.

Bonus question : Have you upgraded the RAM or added a memory module from original config? Different modules could also cause conflicts.

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Its a new laptop and i do not experience the freezing up when i am using windows 10
I had it again earlier today and nothing did help.

Using CTRL-ALT-F1 ... nothing happens
Using CTRL-ALT-DEL ... nothing happens

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:58:11 AM »

Amit Gholap

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Most probably hdd or mem has gone bad. Hardware failure. OS freeze (windows/linux) = majority times hardware failure.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 03:44:17 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I did go back to an earlier timeshift backup but didn't fix it. Seems the problem exists in that too. As the freezing up happens most of the time when using Chrome i installed chromium through Lite Software and see if that fixes the problem. If not then i have a go at a complete fresh install. Got all the Data backed up on 2 separate external drives.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Try an earlier restore point.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Will have a try at  that later this weekend.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Try an earlier restore point.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section