You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Is there a file manager that will preserve the original date and time .....

Author (Read 9046 times)

greenisland

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you both very much for your suggestions.  This has bothered me for quite a while but I let it just hang in the back of my mind as a mystery of linux without following up to track down the problem.  At least now that I know that this really is an issue with the operating systems, rather than the way I was using Thunar, I can get past the psychological barrier.

Thanks!

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
You could try a Thunar custom action. Call it something like 'Timestamp Copy':

Name: Timestamp Copy
Description: Timestamp Copy
Command: rsync -a %F `zenity --file-selection --directory`

On the Appearance tab, tick all boxes.

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
I have researched this somewhat for you, and from what I found it is a Andriod (fuze/fat32) and Ubuntu issue since 2008. The details on why are found by googling- "thunar preserve date stamp".
The best solution I found is to go to Terminal and type in-  cp --preserve=timestamp /path/to/your/photos/* /path/to/the/destination/folder
I hope that helps, it isn't a best solution but creating a script that would do it for you is most likely the best option.

Check out this thread on the issue- http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=186472
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 02:38:22 PM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

Is there a file manager that will preserve the original date and time .....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »

greenisland

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I am trying to use a file manager to get files off my android phone and copy them to a directory in my linuxlite PC.  The problem is that when using Thunar (for example) to copy a photo from the phone to the computer, the file ends up with a new creation date for the date/time it was copied, rather than the date it was created, and this makes sorting by creation date impossible on Linux Lite.

This problem is fully described here in regard to Nautilus http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2187432&page=1  and it is exactly what I am experiencing in Thunar and LL. 

I have used grsync to transfer files and that works to preserve the date, but I really want to use a file manager as I do this all the time. 

Does anyone know of a file manager that explicitly has the "preserve date stamp" option that grysnc offers?

thanks

I see THIS from that thread, but that doesn't help me now....  Any ideas for the present would be appreciated. 

UPDATE 2 October 2015: GREAT NEWS! THIS BUG HAS FINALLY BEEN FIXED in time for UBUNTU 15.10.
The gvfs package has been updated and contains a fix! Timestamps are now preserved.
See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1175947
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:04:47 AM by greenisland »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section