You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Identical computers - different results

Author (Read 3735 times)

Identical computers - different results
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 06:20:53 PM »

Swamp Rat

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
I have two completely identical desktop computers (same make, same model, same CPU, same amount of RAM, same hard drives), both running LL5. They do have different login passwords. The ONLY other differences are the keyboards and the sound systems, neither of which should affect any operation, and the amount of usage of each: What I'll call the #1 gets used more often than #2, which I mostly use as a total backup of files, and as an alternate if something goes wrong with the #1.

The md5sum of the download came up perfect. I "burned" the ISO to a DVD, which I let  check every file before loading the OS. All came up correct. I used that DVD to load LL onto both computers on the same day. One would think that everything would work identically on them, but there are some differences that I don't understand.

A) The #2 gets to the login screen in about 2/3 of the time that #1 takes.

B) The #2 has the big yellow feather appear on and off during booting. The #1 never shows the feather.

C) In the annoying backgammon game, gnubg, #1 has that come up 9/10 of the time in less than full screen. On #2, it always comes up full screen.

D) The screen saver operates perfectly on # 1 - blackout screen. #2 often "forgets" that the screen saver is activated, although it shows up activated in Settings, and the monitor only goes to a dark gray, not black.

E) When updates are available, #1 usually has the notice show up within a few minutes, but #2 will take much longer for the notice to appear.

Now, none of this makes me want to abandon LL. It has been rock solid, in general, from day one. I just don't understand why anything is different on the two computers. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section