You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

i386 package entries

Author (Read 3907 times)

Re: i386 package entries
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 12:22:59 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Totally normal. Our 64bit builds are multiarch. Example, if there are only 32bit drivers for your Printer, bam, you got drivers.
Lots of annoying, yet relevant text - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchSpec

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:35:49 PM by Jerry »

Re: i386 package entries
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Just finished a clean install of 4.2...... no errors at all.

i386 package entries
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I'm getting update errors on and off on 4.2 because of i386 packages. Are i386 packages supposed to be showing up in /var/apt/lib/lists/ I have Debian on another disk on the same machine and nothing specifically i386 ever shows up there. On LL sometimes updates run okay and go through the i386 stuff with no effect. Other times it throws errors on the universe i386  repo. I've repaired it a couple different ways and got updates to run okay. I'm using the default mirror for the US. The system has no other PPAs installed than the LL defaults. No firmware except the standard AMD GPU package, and the RTL2800 package. There are no MII errors on the hardware either. The source list is correct as well, I think, unless AMD64 is supposed to be specified. It's not differentiated in the Debian /etc/sources list file, but I'm not sure if Ubuntu does differentiate. The LL system runs very well, but those i386 files should not be in the /lists/ files. 

one way complete reload:sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*sudo apt-get update
another way with fix:sudo apt-get install -f
another way just deleted all the i386 package entries in /var/lib/apt/lists/and then run updates, but they returned after reboot of a successful update.

They still return no matter how I fix the situation, which seems indicative of an installer error during the original installation which went unreported, if they're not supposed to be there. If the i386 packages are not supposed to be showing up in /lists/ I'd like to remedy that, perhaps with lock or a blacklist or adding amd64 tag to sources. I'm used to Debian so I'm a little perplexed, as I've never had to deal with this kind of error on LL. Don't bother suggesting re-install. I don't roll that way, and I have too much time in this current installation already, on a machine which would never even install the 3.x series at all. I know this can be fixed I just can't figure it out safely. It is not the UEFI build, and neither is the Debian on the other disk.   

TC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section