You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

I am locked out of Linux Lite 5.2

Author (Read 5682 times)

Re: I am locked out of Linux Lite 5.2
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@firenice03     "but when you create your VM use a dynamic disk"     Nice catch. I forgot about that as qcow images are normally dynamic. I wonder if the Vbox image from the link below is too?

https://www.osboxes.org/linux-lite/

Not enough info to tell without downloading it.

TC 

:)  @trinidad
and qcows can be easily shrunk back down (as long as host has enough to work with) - to recoup space from deleted files
I haven't in VB yet - might have to peek at that hhhmmmmm

:)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 09:43:33 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

@firenice03     "but when you create your VM use a dynamic disk"     Nice catch. I forgot about that as qcow images are normally dynamic. I wonder if the Vbox image from the link below is too?

Not enough info to tell without downloading it.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 06:21:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@RogerPanza
I didnt see which VM your're using -- but when you create your VM use a dynamic disk - it will be the smallest size unless you use the max...
i.e. a 40gb disk for LL will only be as big as its installed at say 10gb(ish) adding files the disk would grow.
I do this with my VM's and I have quiet a few, and with 8gb in your host, if the host isnt doing anything in the background you could ramp up the VM to 6 or more. Too much and you'll get a prompt that you could be over allocating :)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »

RogerPanza

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5-8265U (VirtualBox)

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 620 (VM)
I know I am not limited to the disk space, but really I don't like using 20Gb just for a Vm, I will try with the 4Gb, I just installed it with 16gb rom and 3gb ram and it works perfectly
I used the ISO fro linuxliteos.com
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:23:10 PM by RogerPanza »

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 02:18:18 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

If your host system has 8gig RAM you can give a virtual system 4gig RAM which it will hardly ever use anyway. You're certainly not RAM limited. LL 5 idles around 600mb. Also I'm not sure why you feel your host system can't handle a 20gig VHD. It's just virtual. Have you used an image from the link below to install LL?

Or are you installing from the standard ISO?

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:52:57 PM »

RogerPanza

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yea I know 2gb RAM is very low, but I have to put 2/3 gb because on my host system I have 8gb, I will try to make the disk bigger
EDIT: I just created another VHD with 16Gb disk and 3Gb RAm, I'll tell you if it works
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:58:12 PM by RogerPanza »

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

My VMs running Linux Lite are all 20G disk space and 4G of RAM but I use Qemu not VMware or Virt Box. From a terminal run fsck. I believe it's CTRL+ALT+F2 on Linux Lite. That should tell you what's up. If fsck doesn't run you may be out of disk space or memory and facing uncompleted updates with no disk space or RAM space to run. You could try adding disk space since it's Vbox. Also 2gig RAM is cutting it really close with UBU 20 unless you configured swap space which remember uses disk space as well.
Also if your base system is only 3gig of RAM, and it's Windows you are out of RAM.

TC
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:42:56 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:33:10 AM »

RogerPanza

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've already restarted like 5 times, but the screen still appears, I found a post about this from 2014 on LL 1.0.8 but it doesn't work.
The only thing that I think could be the problem is that the system thinks that 9.0gb out of 9.0gb are in use, while I haven't installed any packages, the system is 3gb, and my VHD is 10gb
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:41:37 AM by RogerPanza »

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 09:22:29 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

When it returns to the login screen click the button for shutdown and select restart. Sometimes you can't login until the system is done updating i/e requires restart to complete updates.

TC

I am locked out of Linux Lite 5.2
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »

RogerPanza

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello, I use Linux Lite in a VM with 2gb RAM. Today I was booting up the VM, but when I log in to my user with the correct password, instead of showing me my desktop, it shows my wallpaper, then a black screen, then a red screen, then another black screen, and then back to the log in page. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
ADDITIONAL INFO: Yes, I tried remounting the drive, it doesn't let me do it even in root, I tried fsck, doesn't work.
UPDATE: I just tried logging into root, but it just freezes with an image of the wallpaper, and there are no buttons.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:08:18 AM by RogerPanza »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section