You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How to restore a messed up desktop?

Author (Read 9059 times)

Re: How to restore a messed up desktop?
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@CapraDemon 

Most of the GUI elements like taskbar, panel, whisker menu, etc. in the  XFCE DE have traditional right click menus. The rest of the settings are in the GUI settings menu. The LL XFCE DE is designed to make the user experience simple and intuitive, and in Linux user-land it is relatively durable and forgiving. The LL help manual is one of the best available online for a Linux distro and is the best place to start. Of course your situation is somewhat unique i/e the CRT monitor, but I expect you are happy with the results now, and happy with your own learning experience re-configuring the DE. LL is focused on precisely those things and succeeds exceedingly well there, better than any other Linux distro in my opinion.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »

NN

• a Xubuntu 16.04.4 LTS user
  • Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

• CPU: Muted

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Muted
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:25:17 AM by NN »
... let the dead bury their dead (Matthew 8:22)

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 08:02:04 AM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Thanks, CapraDemon, for including those pictures. Never had this problem, but should it arise,
I will remember how to fix this, thanks to your sharing. Cheers.  :)

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
I solved it! Thanks to trinidad who pointed me in the right direction: after setting desktop's resolution to the maximum my monitor could allow I started to see the desktop underneath the panels

Then I set the correct dimensions of the taskbar panel and everything's back to normal

Thanks to all of you (the next thing I'll do is a system restore point  :) )

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Most of what's wrong with this can be fixed by just learning how to use the desktop GUI tools. The whisker menu is still there. The panel is still there. Some of what happened is probably because the old CRT monitor only resolves at 640 x 480.

Yeah I figured that, the desktop it's there but it's hidden under the giant panels. The monitor is capable of way more than 640x480, but that's probably the starting resolution (It was set to 1024x768 before this mess started).

Best to leave the panel and menu along the bottom (default) and set icon sizes to 24pixels to start as the 480 (vertical) is awfully cramped, and probably best to only use one desktop. Right click on the panel to begin.

Not sure why you are being advised to resort to the command line here rather than learning how to use the onboard GUI configuration tools. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to return this to normal and a journey through the desktop tools would be a good thing judging by the mess you have at hand.

As far as all the offered solutions kind of senseless, and probably will do more damage, and given that installing menulibre would solve this and all future issues. Get the the thing back to normal FIRST, then install menulibre and you can restore from messes like this easily in the future.

It would be great if I could manage to return everything to normal only using GUI tools, the problem is that I don't know how. Could you point me towards the tools I should use?

Adding a new account is not a very brilliant solution either, as the mess will still be there in the other one. Sudo su to root if you really know how to use the desktop, and set it there and mom won't be able to change it except for one session (basically the same restore path for menulibre).

TC

I don't know what you mean by "set it there".

Good Luck!

P.S. Just after the fresh installation of a distro and updating/upgrading your PC create a system restore point (by means of Systemback or Timeshift) so that you could recover the system if needed then.

Thank you, if manage to solve this I'll immediately do a system restore point   ;)

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:25 AM »

NN

• Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:24:43 AM by NN »

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Most of what's wrong with this can be fixed by just learning how to use the desktop GUI tools. The whisker menu is still there. The panel is still there. Some of what happened is probably because the old CRT monitor only resolves at 640 x 480. Best to leave the panel and menu along the bottom (default) and set icon sizes to 24pixels to start as the 480 (vertical) is awfully cramped, and probably best to only use one desktop. Right click on the panel to begin.

Not sure why you are being advised to resort to the command line here rather than learning how to use the onboard GUI configuration tools. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to return this to normal and a journey through the desktop tools would be a good thing judging by the mess you have at hand.

As far as all the offered solutions kind of senseless, and probably will do more damage, and given that installing menulibre would solve this and all future issues. Get the the thing back to normal FIRST, then install menulibre and you can restore from messes like this easily in the future.

Adding a new account is not a very brilliant solution either, as the mess will still be there in the other one. Sudo su to root if you really know how to use the desktop, and set it there and mom won't be able to change it except for one session (basically the same restore path for menulibre).

TC
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:00:22 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 06:00:48 AM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Try first the reply #4 by @Scott  to create a new user account and reboot in to this.

Next if needed and you feel confident to try the method by @misko_2083 try this.
misko has not been around much recently (unfortunately) you need to keep in mind if you get difficulty, you will need to find a member who is able to help at that level of difficulty.

Best to find that person before attempting if you are not confident to do it alone.

I successfully created a new account and transferred all files from the old home folder to the new one. The problem I have now is that I cannot access the PC's separate data partition from the new account because for some reason it's tied to the old account (I can see the name of the old account if I examine the non-functioning link to the data partition).

Now I could try to solve this problem or try misko's solution, it doesn't seem hard (just overwrite some xfce configs of the old account) should it mess up the desktop even more I still have the new account.

P.S. misko's solution (if it works) should be made into an option in linuxlite's menu.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The easier the method the better. Why not try this one?

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/other/(solved)-reseting-linux-lite-desktop-(2-2-32-bit)-back-to-default/msg40913/#msg40913

Sorry but this doesn't work: I deleted everything from that folder but after the reboot the desktop was stil messed up.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »

NN

• Muted
  • Forum Regular
  • just a visitor
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:24:14 AM by NN »

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

OK, I'll try the first one. Oh, I tried the third option (installing Whisker Menu Restore) but that program didn't restore anything.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Try first the reply #4 by @Scott  to create a new user account and reboot in to this.

Next if needed and you feel confident to try the method by @misko_2083 try this.
misko has not been around much recently (unfortunately) you need to keep in mind if you get difficulty, you will need to find a member who is able to help at that level of difficulty.

Best to find that person before attempting if you are not confident to do it alone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:44:02 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

A couple of questions about the link you posted: are making a new account and running all those commands posted by the user misko_2083 alternative to each other? I mean, I have to do both or just one of the two?

Can I just install the program mentioned at the end of the thread? (it seems the easier solution).

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 05:50:19 PM »

CapraDemon

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'll read it, but to reply your previous question it doesn't seem there is a restore point: however check for yourself: 

Could "system repair" work?

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section