You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How to move windows through the bottom bar in the 6.0 version

Author (Read 4858 times)

Re: How to move windows through the bottom bar in the 6.0 version
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
[...]Solved. Thanks!!!![...]

I'm glad you made it! :)

Please, mark the thread as "Solved". :)
You do this by using the editing option "Modify" on the first post of the thread, and choosing the appropriate marking tag (Message Icon list).

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 06:49:18 AM »

Lucas Jstn

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Hope you will be able to tweak it as you like! :)

Solved. Thanks!!!!

Just set the sorting order to none, allow drag and drop!

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 06:01:35 AM »

Lucas Jstn

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

Thanks for the support.

Answering why it is important, it's just because I get used to be able to do it. I like to order the tabs that I use the most at the firsts places. I'll keep searching a way to be able to do it again, but till then I'll do as you said, just opening in the order I like right away.

Sorry for creating this thread in the wrong board.  :imsorry
I realised that I was using the xfce version indeed, and changed to the 6.0 expecting there were no differences (I'm saying this because I setted shift+alt+Q to move windows at the windows manager resource, and I'm not managing to do it at 6.0), my bad.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 05:50:52 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

So, guys, I have updated hours ago from 5.8 to 6.0...

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 05:49:38 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

[...]I'm brazilian, my english is still poor.

Your English is good enough to express what you need. We all learn, that's why we are here! ;) :)
I'm Romanian, so English is my secondary language too! :)

What I was trying to find help for is, I'm not finding a way to reorder the windows that I have opened in my bottom tab. If I open a terminal window and a chrome window, it will be | Linux Lite Terminal | | Chrome |, and I can't move chrome to be the first window at my bottom tab. I used 5.8 over this semester and I could do it xD.

I'm using Linux (various distros...) since Red Hat 4.2 and some Slackware old version. That is, since 1997.
I never found a way to do what you want. And frankly, why is it so important?
If you want specifically this order, start the Applications in the exact order you want them to be shown in the Taskbar: Chrome, then Terminal, etc. It's as simple as that!
This is what I do everyday so it never crossed my mind to reorder them, otherwise than starting them in a specific sequence.
Chrome, on the other hand, seems to place its button randomly. I never understood why.
Usually, the buttons are ordered alphapetically: C - Chrome, 1st; D - DoubleCommander, 2nd; L - LibreOffice, 3rd; P - Pluma, 4th, etc.
Theoretically, If you open Terminal (T), then Chrome (C), Chrome should place itself leftmost. Except the case you tinkered with the Taskbar default settings.

If so, do this:

• Close all Apps
  • Right-Click on the Taskbar
  • Choose "Panel" - Panel Preferences

This allows you to do various settings, including what exactly you want to be shown in the Taskbar (Items) and how they are shown. You can also add other panels (Quick-Launch, if you like this).

Hope you will be able to tweak it as you like! :)

Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 05:18:55 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

This thread is still open.
There is some ambiguity here in regard to the OP's question. Some people say upgrade and mean, "I backed up my home folder and configs, and now when I restore those files to the new Series, things aren't working" and some mean, "I use sudo do-release-upgrade and things don't work". The latter is NOT supported here. Cheers.

Hi, Jerry! :)

I guess your answer and the previous, are related to another post/subject.
The initial post was about something related to XFCE Taskbar and had nothing to do with the Update/Upgrade Procedure, except a pale suggestion that "the upgrade might have caused...".

So, guys, I have updated hours ago from 5.8 to 6.0 and I can't find where this configuration is. I am not managing to move windows at the bottom icon bars neither reordering them, please help me with it.

Anyway, as far as I could see, the "Update/Upgrade" is extensively covered over the Forum, let alone the Linux Lite documentation.
At least, I skip answering such questions and at most, I quote (insert an URL...) either a post, or straight the documentation.
But the Panel 1 (Taskbar), is somehow "out of range" of hte concept "Linux Lite Help and Support", since XFCE is a different project than Linux Lite itself. I assume you need XFCE team (strong?) connections to deal with this on an authorised "Savvy" base.

I remember back in 2012, when I switched for good from Windows to Linux, I had some more experience with Mandrake and this had KDE as DM.
After the crash of Mandrake and the various forkings, the closest match to what was KDE, was XFCE so, from 2007 till now I somehow got caught by the XFCE "look & feel".
The only OS that offers XFCE as the only one DE, AFAIK, is... Linux Lite.
I told this little story, to paint a larger picture of what actually meant for me, dealing with a DM. Since we'are speaking of XFCE here, there is a long story related to the XFCE's "Panel Class" and my getting to the understanding of the most of what I know now about XFCE.

I answered the initial post, because it took me some years to learn how to deal with this "Panel Class". Making it look as I want and need, then putting a second panel on the top of the desktop, was initially a kind of nightmare.
I was confused though, by the way the question was formulated.
So, the discussion in this thread, is about tweaking the XFCE Panel 1 or the "Taskbar", as we usually call it.
I was confused though, because the question appeared to me as if Lucas Jstn wants to reorder the buttons of the running Applications (the middle section of the Taskbar), which, from what I know, is impossible by using "Drad'n'Drop" as the question suggests. Even if using a ComboBox for showing the list of running windows, allows you to order them alphabetically. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is what I found possible to do, so far.
Speaking frankly, I barely can figure out what would be the use of such a feature, since on an ordinary work session I open at least 20 Apps or documents at a given time, then close some, open some others, etc. and the last thing I might spent time to think of, is in which order they are shown in the Taskbar.

I hope this made things more clear about the topic of this thread. If it were abot Updating/Upgradeing the distro, I would surely have suggested to one Moderator/ Global Moderator to move the thread to the appropriate section, since we're in the "Software-Support-Other" which, at least for me, means "Other than Linux Lite itself". Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:22:55 AM by Şerban S. »
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 05:09:41 AM »

Lucas Jstn

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
There is some ambiguity here in regard to the OP's question. Some people say upgrade and mean, "I backed up my home folder and configs, and now when I restore those files to the new Series, things aren't working" and some mean, "I use sudo do-release-upgrade and things don't work". The latter is NOT supported here. Cheers.

I really did an upgrade without bringing any files to the new version.

I'm brazilian, my english is still poor. What I was trying to find help for is, I'm not finding a way to reorder the windows that I have opened in my bottom tab. If I open a terminal window and a chrome window, it will be | Linux Lite Terminal | | Chrome |, and I can't move chrome to be the first window at my bottom tab. I used 5.8 over this semester and I could do it xD.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 11:07:24 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 05:32:49 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

Just be careful here please folks. There is no official support for this type of upgrade. Thanks.

Hi, Jerry! :)

Did you close the thread?
Was it supposed to be in the "Off Topic" section?
The question is indeed fuzzy, but we have a customization (whole) theme here and, for the new Linux Lite users, might be a real nightmare to dig into this. Which means that some (a lot?) help, is useful.

Would a "Customzing XFCE Panels" video be useful?

best regards! :)
Current Machine:
Laptop:

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 04:49:47 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Just be careful here please folks. There is no official support for this type of upgrade. Thanks.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 02:10:53 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

Have you tried

Right Click on an empty section of the bottom bar
Click 'Panel' then 'Panel Preferences'
Select the 'Items' tab

This allows you to add and remove icons for application launchers.  To change an icon position on the bar, click the one to move, then use the arrows on the right to shift it.
clueless

How to move windows through the bottom bar in the 6.0 version
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:11:41 AM »

Lucas Jstn

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
So, guys, I have updated hours ago from 5.8 to 6.0 and I can't find where this configuration is. I am not managing to move windows at the bottom icon bars neither reordering them, please help me with it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 01:51:40 PM by Lucas Jstn »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section