You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

TomTom 'MyDriveConnect' on V-Box and WINE

Author (Read 4369 times)

Re: TomTom 'MyDriveConnect' on V-Box and WINE
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
I report success.

The solution addresses the use of Virtual Box on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

For my kickstart, I was using tips linked HERE and HERE.

Here is the process, for the record:

0. Manually create a Timeshift system image; check your settings for it to be inclusive.

1. Install virtualbox and virtualbox-ext-pack packages from the Ubuntu repository.

2. Open up the Terminal seal and unleash the following incantation:

Code: [Select]
sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER
3. Logout and log back in, to complete the ritual.

{I know this step is required probably due to some security concerns with the extension pack suite of features, but it is so much voodoo people and infact so much Linuxy that it is just idiosyncratic.}

4. Open up Virtual Box.

5. Click the big "New". The Virtual Box will guide you through the creation process of your desired Windows environment. Mind you need to know what kind of Windows image file you have, including whether it is 64-bit capable or 32-bit only. Under the first link provided early in this post, there is a download link to a Windows 10 image file, apparently available also for free under the terms of running a non-activated Windows version.

In case you have trouble setting up a virtual machine, seek further guidance, for example, ask on the forum.

In my case, I have given the 64-bit virtual machine some 5~6 gigabytes of RAM {my majority} - knowing Linux will cope with smaller amount, eventually using the swapfile*, when the Virtual Box claims given sum - also have I enabled 2D and 3D acceleration with whooping 256 megabytes of video memory, access to more than one CPU {infact, both of them}, paravirtualization interface set to default, USB controller at version 3.

* mind to have swapfile properly configured, in order to avoid applications possibly shutting down, which could affect also the Virtual Box.

6. Crucial step. Start your GPS device and plug it into the USB slot. Under the "Settings", go to the "USB" section and to the right of the "USB device filters" {the big text field}, click the second icon counting from the top {the one with a plus sign}, which in self description, says: "adds new USB filter with all fields set to the values of the selected USB device". Find something relating to TomTom, Sat-Nav, GPS or alike among the options and pick it up. Save the settings.

7. Install your Windows.

8. Through the web-browser, download MyDriveConnect for Windows and install it. Mind to unplug your GPS device beforehand and have it plugged back in not sooner than having the installed application already running.

Should be done.

9. Just for the trick, some people - including myself - had reported MyDriveConnect getting broken in the aftermath of a big map update. There is one simple thing to do after each big map update in order to solve. Go to your %localappdata% folder, find "TomTom" and delete the entire "HOME3" directory. It will reset your MyDriveConnect settings but is confirmed to work. Alternatively, in the Windows taskbar, find MyDriveConnect tray icon, rightclick, pick up "Settings", head to the downloads section {third tab} and press to clear the download bin or how is it called in your language. Might work.

PS:

Regarding point number six, there could be couple of detected active USB devices. Mind when a USB is claimed temporarily by the Virtual Box, it is usable only within the virtual machine for the time and unavailable for the major background system. In my case, for example, I use a bluetooth mouse, but it seems to have been hooked under a USB type of connection, therefore, when selected, the mouse responded only within the virtual machine during the operation. That is only a minor nuisance to watch out for. The bigger problem is that there appeared also a second type of USB device which if selected, renders the virtual machine permanently stuck on a black screen, chocking up the entire Virtual Box application apparently beyond any easy fix. That is why did I recommend to make a Timeshift image, so that not to bother with trying to manually untangle the knot but to revert and start over - following a hard reset, preferably. I speculate that this quirky "USB" thing could be a kind of umbilical cord, connecting the virtual machine with the major background system resources, so that when selected, the connection becomes interrupted, disallowing any action on the virtual machine to be performed, as well as depriving the virtual machine from the access to necessary computational supply.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:45:38 AM by MS »

Re: TomTom 'MyDriveConnect' on V-Box and WINE
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 06:15:16 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Update: the tech gets better and - just like with the cloud services, such as cloud gaming - instead of adapting to the convoluted and costly conditions, it eludes them, at least to a major degree. This time the technology with newer GPS devices allows to directly connect to the WiFi and get updates without the need for a mediating computer station altogether. All compact.

The drawback is, one needs to buy such a newer device, with the old one - as in my case - perhaps remaining functional all the way. Therefore, I guess that I will still try to eventually find way for how to make that super quirky Windows exclusive app of 'MyDriveConnect' work somehow if not with, then through Linux. Eventually.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:19:45 AM by MS »

TomTom 'MyDriveConnect' on V-Box and WINE
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:40:21 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

I have never thusfar been using WINE, do not know how it looks like, how does it set up. When it comes though to my GPS device, it relies on 'MyDriveConnect' software from TomTom. I would say that it is pretty unfortunate, but as far as I am concerned, no GPS producer ever supports Linux, unless Linux reaches some more significant market share of the home PC users. For now, I am employing an access to an old 32-bit Windows 7 PC for the sake of GPS update, albeit first, it would be better if I got self sufficient with the Linux and what it does offer, second thing, I am afraid this Windows 7 PC may get 'decomissioned' eventually. Like, if I wanted to install Linux on it, I would basically shoot my foot, when it comes to Windows only software, such as the mentioned 'MyDriveConnect'.

It came to my knowledge I have two ways to solve the issue. First is to set up a Virtual Box with GNOME tools and some Windows image, which is perhaps a more complicated procedure, but is confirmed to work. Second, is to use WINE, which - on the other hand - is unconfirmed to solve the problem with 'MyDriveConnect' on Linux.

Does anyone have any experience in getting WINE to run quirky apps?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:34:50 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section