You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Previous items come back to life

Author (Read 5168 times)

Re: Previous items come back to life
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Running Linux Lite 3.6 with dual monitors. Been working superbly.  Here is what
started occurring recently.  After I close a spreadsheet, photo, website, etc, at times
those items I just closed re-appear.  Simple enough to to removed them by changing
workspaces and then come back to my original workspace.  Somehow the memory
is not clearing I thought.  I replaced all RAM modules with known good working modules
from another computer with no luck.  Sometimes this re-opening of files occurs several
times a day.  Other times it may be okay for a week and then it starts up again. 

I've called ASUS for help since I am using their Motherboard.  Help line technician said
that he did not think it is motherboard related.  He thought it might be the operating system.

Now I am thinking a virus/trojan? 

Can someone give be detailed instructions on how I can do a virus/trojan scan
from a live CD?  Or other items to try.

At your convenience since the system still works great and when the problem pops
up, it is quick to kill it.  It is now slowing me down using Linux Lite.

Hello Manuk,
for consideration -
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1898250

In brief, from this and other links, where programs are set to load on start they can restart after screensaver, it is fixed by altering its settings.
Another issue is "spurious keystrokes" where undefined keystrokes are shortcuts for a program, if they are used in another program it can reawaken the first one/s. (maybe clearing cache stops it, unsure, but it would not be very realistic to keep doing this after closing programs, as it will disrupt your workflow, it could help with test/discovery phases)
As an example, after closing a program that usually reopens, click the mouse cursor in empty space 1 times outside of any program GUI, then hit space bar or a key, then click in the GUI and see if it reopens the program still, it may not be something as simple keys wise but hopefully it gives the idea of this.
I have not managed to find a lot of details about this.

Please try to make a list of the orders, programs used and closed that do reopen, and those that don't reopen, any pattern of the program used next when the program reopens , and any keystroke reuses made, alternatives tried that failed to reopen the usually reopening program, to try and isolate the conflicts that are happening in them, or observe if there is a pattern in existence.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:14:17 PM by bitsnpcs »

Re: Previous items come back to life
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
If you have enough RAM, from a LiveCD, you might be able to install ClamAV with its most recent signature files and run that. 

If not, have you a Systemback restore point?  If so, consider reverting to it. 

If not, consider backing up your data and reinstalling Linux Lite.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Previous items come back to life
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »

Manuk

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHZ FM2 Quad-core with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Integrated Video - ASUS Motherboard F2A85-M Pro
Running Linux Lite 3.6 with dual monitors. Been working superbly.  Here is what
started occurring recently.  After I close a spreadsheet, photo, website, etc, at times
those items I just closed re-appear.  Simple enough to to removed them by changing
workspaces and then come back to my original workspace.  Somehow the memory
is not clearing I thought.  I replaced all RAM modules with known good working modules
from another computer with no luck.  Sometimes this re-opening of files occurs several
times a day.  Other times it may be okay for a week and then it starts up again. 

I've called ASUS for help since I am using their Motherboard.  Help line technician said
that he did not think it is motherboard related.  He thought it might be the operating system.

Now I am thinking a virus/trojan? 

Can someone give be detailed instructions on how I can do a virus/trojan scan
from a live CD?  Or other items to try.

At your convenience since the system still works great and when the problem pops
up, it is quick to kill it.  It is now slowing me down using Linux Lite.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section