You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Edited grub - cant boot LL

Author (Read 7774 times)

Re: Edited grub - cant boot LL
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
This particular setup (hack) does not work on all machines, and I'm not sure it works at all in xenial, given it was reported as bug when it was only an old unix hack in the first place. Try editing the timeout values from 0.0 to simply = 0. This sometimes re-allows the hidden default of 10 seconds to reset on some systems. Bluetooth, and usb keyboards can all have problems with this setup, depending on the BIOS post sequence. Finally depending on your BIOS you may have to hit the shift key at a precise time in some cases and you may have to hit escape or F1 during boot to get the chance to do it if you are under quick boot. It's a dated wasted hack in the first place, and not reliable except with a ps2 keyboard, and legacy only board, running posted boot. Better ways to accomplish what you are trying to do. If you make Windows the first entry in grub the computer will boot into Windows first doing nothing, and almost immediately just by hitting >enter as soon as grub appears without having to scroll and select it from the grub menu, so why hide the grub menu and mess with the timeouts? I can't see any sensible purpose for this, as it was only invented in Ubuntu kludge to solve some old BIOS issues with grub that don't exist anymore.   

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Re: Edited grub - cant boot LL
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
It seems to me that changing the GRUB timeout values to zero would prevent GRUB from showing up.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Edited grub - cant boot LL
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

thoughtinstinct

• Occasional Poster
  • Love Linux Lite
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3437U CPU @ 1.90GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 6.x
Hi again,

I come with one more request for help. I edited the grub and now the pc won't show the grub loader where i could chose the OS. Here are the lines i remember editing ....

Code: [Select]
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0.0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0.0

I have a dual boot of windows 10 and LL3 and would like to hide the grub loader until i activate it myself (otherwise boot straight to windows) since im not the only one using this pc. Holding down shift key doesn't seem to help, what am i doing wrong? http://askubuntu.com/questions/117525/hide-grub2-menu-unless-you-hold-down-shift-key-how-to-make-this-happen
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:12:50 AM by thoughtinstinct »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section