You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dropbox, mouse, and chrome settings not saved. And a word on the Log Out options

Author (Read 8948 times)

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Glad you got the mouse working, how is Dropbox?

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Good to know it's not us.

On the mouse, I matched the Generic USB settings to the settings of my Microsoft Mouse.  That helped.  Then I took it a step further by unchecking the "Enable this device" option for the Generic USB mouse.  That seems to keep my settings "sticky".
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

The same happens on 32bit, looks like Dropbox broke their own app :) We'll have to wait for an update from them.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I've done the uninstall and reinstall procedure you suggested, and nothing happened.  So I opened up a terminal and typed in the following:

But the Dropbox indicator would show up in the panel at that point.  The Thunar File Manager would open to the Dropbox folder, and I would get a popup saying "Failed to open directory "Dropbox".  Permission Denied.

All this is refreshing my memory on why I eventually installed Dropbox from the Dropbox.com website.

Looks like there is an issue with Dropbox on 64bit, I'll look into this and provide an update when I get time, looks like a new bug - https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/202663529-dropboxd-wont-start-on-xubuntu-14-04LTS-traceback-3-6-7
In the meantime, open a terminal and do:

Code: [Select]
sudo chmod 666 /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.6.7/futures-2.1.3-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/top_level.txt
Then start Dropbox from the Menu. This should work for now.

By the way, you mentioned Suspend and Hibernate are notoriously faulty with Ubuntu and it's ongoing.  Any word on what I mentioned about getting the black screen when using the Log Out option?

I've only had time to help you with your other issues. Ideally you need to make a separate thread for each issue under the right Category. This helps others and having one thread with so many different issues gets rather messy and is hard for folks to keep track of things.

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

I've done the uninstall and reinstall procedure you suggested, and nothing happened.  So I opened up a terminal and typed in the following:

Code: [Select]
torrey@tdw:~$ dropbox status
Dropbox isn't running!
torrey@tdw:~$ dropbox start
Starting Dropbox...Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.py", line 37, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/aggregation.py", line 17, in <module>
  File "dropbox/sqlite3_helpers.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "dropbox/fatal_db_exception.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "arch/__init__.py", line 28, in <module>
  File "arch/linux/util.py", line 52, in <module>
  File "dropbox/url_info.py", line 19, in <module>
  File "dropbox/i18n.py", line 31, in <module>
  File "babel/__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3032, in <module>
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 933, in subscribe
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3032, in <lambda>
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2573, in activate
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2667, in insert_on
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2697, in check_version_conflict
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2566, in _get_metadata
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1589, in get_metadata_lines
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1581, in get_metadata
  File "pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 1692, in _get
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.6.7/futures-2.1.3-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/top_level.txt'

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/dropbox", line 1436, in <module>
    ret = main(sys.argv)
  File "/usr/bin/dropbox", line 1425, in main
    result = commands[argv](argv[i+1:])
  File "/usr/bin/dropbox", line 1273, in start
    if not start_dropbox():
  File "/usr/bin/dropbox", line 757, in start_dropbox
    time.sleep(interval)
KeyboardInterrupt
torrey@tdw:~$ sudo dropbox status
[sudo] password for torrey:
Dropbox isn't running!
torrey@tdw:~$ sudo dropbox start
Starting Dropbox...Dropbox isn't running!
Done!
torrey@tdw:~$
(Thunar:7921): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/torrey/.config/ibus/bus is not root!
torrey@tdw:~$ dropbox status
Dropbox isn't running!
But the Dropbox indicator would show up in the panel at that point.  The Thunar File Manager would open to the Dropbox folder, and I would get a popup saying "Failed to open directory "Dropbox".  Permission Denied.

All this is refreshing my memory on why I eventually installed Dropbox from the Dropbox.com website.

By the way, you mentioned Suspend and Hibernate are notoriously faulty with Ubuntu and it's ongoing.  Any word on what I mentioned about getting the black screen when using the Log Out option?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:05:22 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Dropbox - that's probably your issue there. Uninstall it first. Then go to your home folder and press Ctrl+H, and delete the .dropbox folder. Then reboot and install it via Menu, System, Lite Software.

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

Dropbox:  I first installed using Lite Software.  I don't remember the shortcoming, but searching around led me to install it using the .deb file at the Dropbox website.

Chrome as default:  No I overlooked trying that with the Lite Tweaks.  Will try that now and pass it on to a coworker for whom I helped with installing LL last weekend.

On Suspend and Hibernate, I figured as much.

Any idea on the mouse?  Without rebooting, I can see that it won't hold the mouse selection.  I just opened the Mouse and Touchpad settings window, and twice changed the selection to my Microsoft mouse.  I close the Mouse and Touchpad settings window and reopened it.  Also twice.  Each time, my mouse selection was set to Generic USB.  The setting isn't sticky beyond me closing the Mouse and Touchpad settings window.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Dropbox - how did you install this?

Google - did you use Lite Tweaks to set the default browser?

Suspend & Hibernate - notoriously a problem on ubuntu based distros in general, ongoging.

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

Whenever I reboot, I have three things I have to reset.  Dropbox, my mouse, and Google Chrome.

1) For Dropbox, before the indicator shows up in the panel, I get a popup saying I need to install the Dropbox Daemon.  I accomplish this by either following their prompts or opening a terminal and typing in "dropbox start -i".

2) For my mouse, I'll notice after a reboot that it won't move as it would before my reboot.  Then when I go to the Mouse and Touchpad settings, sure enough, the mouse is reset to Generic USB.  And I have to select my actual mouse, which is a Microsoft 3 button with IntelliEye.

3) For Google Chrome, I heard about the setting for it to be one's default browser wasn't working via the following video:  .  Fifteen minutes into his video he shows how to overcome this.  I follow those instructions, but everytime I open Chrome, I'm still asked to set it as my default.

I have included my System Report as an attachment for the benefit of anyone who can add some help on these items.

I am committed to using Linux Lite.  It is my daily driver now. 

I heard Linus Torvalds say although Linux dominates in mobile phones and servers, he thinks the reason it lags in desktop is because most people don't want to install an operating system.  I can do it, and I'm helping others who complain about their PCs make the switch to Linux Lite.  I can see the above issues causing a thorn in their side, though, and I'd just like to be on the front end of those potential turn offs.  I'm also noticing the Switch Users and Log Out options lead me to a black screen.  Not just on my hardware, but in virtual machines.  Suspend won't stay suspended, and Hibernate won't wake up.  For the record, I have seen that Hibernate issue with other Ubuntu 14.04 based distros.  Since Linux makes my reboots snappier than a Windows reboot on the same hardware, I tend to live in the Shutdown and Restart world and I avoid Suspend and Hibernate and Log Out.  But again, I can see those things trying the patience of folks I'm introducing to Linux Lite.

[attachment deleted by admin, expired]

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section