Software - Support > Other

Constant time adjustment [Still Happening]

(1/5) > >>

ohjrson:
Thanks.
      I have installed and will see what happens now.

anon222:

--- Quote from: ohjrson on September 24, 2014, 02:45:16 PM ---Update:
 Well it seems that the time is anywhere from 2 minutes to 13 minutes off. However it seems to reset itself periodically.

Is there a program I can put in to help keep this as close to the right time as possible?

Update: Just did a reboot to my system because the time was off by 10 minutes.
Had let the system run for 4 days. Lost the time over that many days.

Update: as of today the time is now 22 minutes ahead of what it is supposed to be and the computer has been running for 5d 3:21
Why is this happening?
Thanks
ohjrson

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure why this happens.
Try this

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get install gnome-time-admin ntp
--- End code ---
You'll find 'Time and Date' in the Whisker menu. Open it and click on Unlock and it will ask you for a password. You should see 'Manual' option.
Switch it to the other option, something like 'Keep time synchronised with web servers'.
I hope this helps.

bitsnpcs:
Hello Ohjrson,

I found this website http://linux.die.net/man/8/hwclock

It states "You can also run hwclock periodically to insert or remove time from the Hardware Clock to compensate for systematic drift (where the clock consistently gains or loses time at a certain rate if left to run)."

Systemic drift sounds like/similar to what you have described.

In the options area of the page it covers

--- Code: ----u
 --utc
--localtime
--- End code ---

and states -
"If you specify the wrong one of these options (or specify neither and take a wrong default), both setting and querying of the Hardware Clock will be messed up. "

It may be worth looking into these on the link in more detail and altering these settings to see if any of these options solve the issue.

Reading a little more on this I notice -
"It works like this: hwclock keeps a file, /etc/adjtime, that keeps some historical information. This is called the adjtime file. "

So if this file is absent or not working for some reason then the hwclock will not check the current time and adjust the clock correctly, I am unsure how to test the adjtime file.
Finding this out would probably be better to test first before altering any of the options for hwclock. 

ohjrson:
Anybody?

ohjrson:
Update:
 Well it seems that the time is anywhere from 2 minutes to 13 minutes off. However it seems to reset itself periodically.

Is there a program I can put in to help keep this as close to the right time as possible?

Update: Just did a reboot to my system because the time was off by 10 minutes.
Had let the system run for 4 days. Lost the time over that many days.

Update: as of today the time is now 22 minutes ahead of what it is supposed to be and the computer has been running for 5d 3:21
Why is this happening?
Thanks
ohjrson

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version