You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Catfish file search - updating data base asking for authentication as superuser

Author (Read 16334 times)

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
I've been doing it selectively for years with stable programs like thunar and gedit, without issue, foresee none
Those days are coming to an end, and there are several important reasons why, and it is not good advice to encourage new users toward a praxis that involves purposely deprecated software like gksu. It's about like recommending Windows XP over Windows 10. The often referenced mission statement for Linux Lite is to create a Linux software environment that new users coming from Windows can easily transition to. It's certainly counter intuitive here to encourage the inexperienced Linux user to use bad or deprecated tools. Go argue about it on the Deb channels: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=144101 but please not here, where the new inexperienced user is the most important.

TC

I wasn't aware gksu is now deprecated. A web search showed some results and we're suppose to use pkexec or something like gedit admin:///etc/default/apport according to this article https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/ I tried the latter and I got a blank file. I did via the app finder/launcher tool with alt+f2, same result via terminal. The pkexec approach didn't work either with the app finder/launcher tool, when tried in the terminal got this error
Code: [Select]
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Error executing command as another user: Not authorized
And yes, I'm 100% sure I typed in the right password. So I guess will continue to use gksu or sudo, I do have the option in the right-click menu to open thunar as root as well as the terminal though. Why do they change the questions when we already know the answers?  8)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

jerryc

• New to Forums
  • LL user - Old xubuntu user
    • View Profile
it is not good advice to encourage new users toward a praxis that involves purposely deprecated software like gksu.

I don't used gksu. I use sudo.
jerryc, not to be confused with the real Jerry who developed this distro.

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I've been doing it selectively for years with stable programs like thunar and gedit, without issue, foresee none
Those days are coming to an end, and there are several important reasons why, and it is not good advice to encourage new users toward a praxis that involves purposely deprecated software like gksu. It's about like recommending Windows XP over Windows 10. The often referenced mission statement for Linux Lite is to create a Linux software environment that new users coming from Windows can easily transition to. It's certainly counter intuitive here to encourage the inexperienced Linux user to use bad or deprecated tools. Go argue about it on the Deb channels: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=144101 but please not here, where the new inexperienced user is the most important.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

jerryc

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I checked those screenshots you shared and noticed that in one of them reads that the database ...

Here's another workaround I'd be comfortable with. Change the permissions on the db with:

sudo chmod 666 /var/lib/nlocate/mlocate.db
Then run catfish, and it should update without needing the admin pw.

I wouldn't even worry about changing it back, since it's only data, but if you were concerned, after the update you could run:

sudo chmod 644 /var/lib/nlocate/mlocate.db
As far as running gui programs as root, like doing anything as root, caution is always advisable. That said, I've been doing it selectively for years with stable programs like thunar and gedit, without issue, foresee none, and currently have no intention of stopping.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
To answer your question Moltke I have only put LL3.8 on these laptops. While I am starting to get some “newer” (I use that term loosely!) laptops many of them are sufficiently old and thus lack the RAM and HD size that would work best with the 4 series. I also love systemback and use that enough when/if I run into issues.

I think I will choose to let sleeping dogs lie since the search function works despite not updating.

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@JanetBiggar Are you having this issue in LL 4.6? I checked those screenshots you shared and noticed that in one of them reads that the database was last updated 03/29/2017 which is more than two years ago, so that might be the reason you're getting that weird message. 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:59:47 PM by Moltke »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Gksu is deprecated for a reason. Running an application's graphical user interfaces in root can introduce its bugs into the root file system, and security issues along the same X channels. In fact an application's graphical user interface display should never be run in root because of this issue. Forget about catfish and try these CLI tools. You don't need the catfish interface for the simple searching you are doing. These may or may not be already installed in your default LL system. Try the commands first before you attempt to install the tools.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/linux-search-files-from-the-terminal/

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

jerryc

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
So what does this mean with respect to "IF" I do wish to update the catfish data base, what must I do/type?

I'd be fine with:

gksu catfish
I like the alt + f2 combo, too. Never used it before, always just launched a terminal. Thanks, Moltke.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
That'd be gksu working. Gksu is  a graphical frontend for sudo that allows graphical command to be run without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. It's effectively just a GTK+ skin for the superuser commands. Try this so you see for yourself; press alt+f2 which will launch app finder tool, type sudo thunar and click on run, then type gksu thunar and click on run, what did happen in both cases?

So I did the above.  When I did alt & F2 then put in sudo thunar then clicked the gear icon, nothing happened.  The wlndow disappeared and nothing occurred.  When I did alt & F2 and put in gksu thunar, clicked on the gear then another window popped up asking for my pw which I put in and then it took me into the area (warning me that I was in or running as root).

So what does this mean with respect to "IF" I do wish to update the catfish data base, what must I do/type?

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Does Install Updates work when you enter your password?

Yes, it has in the past with no issue. 

I say "in the past" because I switched over to using "Update Manager" such that I could avoid updating items that might cause a glitch on these laptops. I ran into an issue twice (once each on two laptops) whereby the laptops started to act oddly which was after doing "install updates".  I simply reverted an earlier system back point and all was fine.  After that I have been sticking to updating only the 1-3 level updates and avoiding the 4 & 5's.

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
I had ran into issues similar once before while building and it turned out to be a permission issue of not having read access to the files. I am betting the user account does not have proper permissions to search certain areas and that is why the splash screen keeps coming up.

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Here's another thought: Let's use synaptic as an example. Most of us open synaptic from the menu, then get a popup asking for our root pw. If, instead, we used a terminal and called it with "sudo synaptic," other than not getting the popup asking for the root pw, would it operate any differently? I doubt it. I'm guessing the same would be true with catfish asking for the root pw.
That'd be gksu working. Gksu is  a graphical frontend for sudo that allows graphical command to be run without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. It's effectively just a GTK+ skin for the superuser commands. Try this so you see for yourself; press alt+f2 which will launch app finder tool, type sudo thunar and click on run, then type gksu thunar and click on run, what did happen in both cases?

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Does Install Updates work when you enter your password?

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Open Lite User Manager and see how many users are listed in the drop down box. Then see which ones have the sudo box ticked or unticked.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

So I did this and the only user(s) are; Administrator which has the sudo box checked and root.

Because I don't wish to get in over my head (sounds like perhaps I might get into trouble if I do sudo catfish or gksu catfish...) AND the file search works fine when I simply "x" the 'Do you want to update the database' I think I will not do anything unless I find out that I won't/can't get myself into hot water!

jerryc

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
It's better to use gksu than sudo for GUIs apps
The scope of that problem may be far less than originally believed. From: https://beamtic.com/sudo-and-guis

Running graphical programs using sudo in Ubuntu is basically fine – in many cases. However, in some freak cases it might cause problems! However, I have not encountered these myself yet.

That's been my experience. However, I only do it when I'm working on files or directories where I need root permissions, e.g., "sudo gedit" or "sudo thunar" to work with something in /etc. I don't use it, and certainly would not recommend it, for work on files or directories where root permissions are not needed.

My best guess is it would not be a problem using it with catfish, but your note of caution is worth exploring further.

Here's another thought: Let's use synaptic as an example. Most of us open synaptic from the menu, then get a popup asking for our root pw. If, instead, we used a terminal and called it with "sudo synaptic," other than not getting the popup asking for the root pw, would it operate any differently? I doubt it. I'm guessing the same would be true with catfish asking for the root pw.

All that said, I'm simply speculating based on my experience and assumptions, but I've never looked at these things under their hoods.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section