You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Catfish file search - updating data base asking for authentication as superuser

Author (Read 16568 times)

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
When it asks for the update and you can't get your pw to work, you could close it, then, from the command line:
Code: [Select]
sudo catfish
The terminal will ask for your pw, but you shouldn't get the pw message from catfish. Hopefully, once you update the db, it won't ask again for a long time, and you can run catfish from your menu and/or panel.

It's better to use gksu than sudo for GUIs apps, as explained here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root. 
You should use gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets 
HOME=~root, and copies .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files 
in your home directory becoming owned by root. 
(AFAICT, this is all that's special about the environment of the started   
 process with gksudo vs. sudo).

So, instead of
sudo catfish you should be using
gksu catfish

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

jerryc

• New to Forums
  • LL user - Old xubuntu user
    • View Profile
Open Lite User Manager and see how many users are listed in the drop down box. Then see which ones have the sudo box ticked or unticked.
Wow! What a great feature. Simple elegance.
jerryc, not to be confused with the real Jerry who developed this distro.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Open Lite User Manager and see how many users are listed in the drop down box. Then see which ones have the sudo box ticked or unticked.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

jerryc

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
When it asks for the update and you can't get your pw to work, you could close it, then, from the command line:
sudo catfish
The terminal will ask for your pw, but you shouldn't get the pw message from catfish. Hopefully, once you update the db, it won't ask again for a long time, and you can run catfish from your menu and/or panel.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
I only ever set up one user and this same pw works to get into any other area (say synaptics, etc). Is there something "special" I need to do to log in as sudo?

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Are you logged in as the user with sudo privileges, or as the student who I assume would have none.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

Hi @JanetBiggar  Is "Numlock" enabled ?  Quite often when log in "Numlock" is disabled and inputting the password works, but afterwards as you reach the desktop Linux Lite enables "Numlock" by default. This would then make the password incorrect if you use any key that has been locked by "Numlock".

Usually there is any indicator light to show "Numlock" is on, but a quick way to test is to try "sudo apt update" and try inputting your password when requested. If this fails because of invalid password then I'd guess numlock is on and you can disable it using an F key or more permanently using Lite-Tweaks :)
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Good, the pics are there however the second pic should be the first then the order is correct.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Not sure you can see all the pics so will try again:

https://imgur.com/a/VGkY7u6

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. 

Jerryc - I can certainly choose to NOT update and it works just fine.
Jerry & m654321 - I am definitely using the correct password as it is the same password I use to get into the laptop and to be doubly sure I did try it again making certain I was typing it in correctly.  Still got the same thing.  I took some screen shots and will try to post them here.  After the last screen shot I then got a message saying something to the effect that it was not responding and did I want to close it or wait.  I closed it.

It's not a bit deal since the file search still works, however just in case someone is interested in determining the problem.

Here goes let me try uploading the pics:

https://imgur.com/Z3tOSr4

Hope this works...

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
"the data base hasn't been updated for more than 7 days, update now?" So I clicked on it.

Hi Janet,

As far as I know, this message is normal. I get it from time to time, when I haven't searched a large video database (on external drive) for a while. What you did was fine, but as Jerry said your password must be incorrect. Maybe time to reset your password if you've forgotten it, or can't find where you wrote it down ...
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

jerryc

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I'm loving the file search DeepThought told me about and using it a lot.
Catfish is great.

... had message at the top saying "the data base hasn't been updated for more than 7 days, update now?"
I've been using it for years on systems with quite a bit of data, know I've gone way more than 7 days between uses, and never gotten such a message. On any hardware from this century you should never notice a performance issue even if it never updates the database. If there's an option to skip that step, you can try that, too, but the real Jerry is probably right, you probably just mistyped your pw.

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

It'll be the wrong password entered. Your user password will work.

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
I'm loving the file search DeepThought told me about and using it a lot.

Today on one of the laptops I'm readying for a youth had message at the top saying "the data base hasn't been updated for more than 7 days, update now?" So I clicked on it.

A message indicated it needed to be refreshed and this required administrator privileges and authentication as super user so I entered the pw I set for Administrator (it is the only pw I have ever entered for the system). It doesn't accept my pw, is there a specific superuser pw that I have not set myself of which I am not aware?

What do I need to do?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section