You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Won't boot into desktop after idiot (me) changed something

Author (Read 6793 times)

Re: Won't boot into desktop after idiot (me) changed something
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Glad you did not have to reinstall the system, it is always annoying and apart from that, I have had no idea how to help you out accessing bash in the case given - maybe others here around would - so yeah, I am a noob as well, do not feel ashamed to ask qustions, maybe one blind trying to help the other will not lead to falling into a massive black hole.

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »

acanning

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thankfully I was able to restore my system using the following solution a helpful user had posted....

"Luckily, I was able to fix it by going bash .. with CTRL+ALT+F2, then logging in, going sudo su, and removing the modifications proposed.."

I think I'll stop messing with things I don't understand now  ::)

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 11:47:43 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
I use likewise solution, only for Intel display, with the difference of having the "TearFree" option marked "true", instead of "on". Perhaps though the system does read both setups as same. Otherwise than that, in my case, it works, though the "TearFree" does bring some extra burden on the performance.

Won't boot into desktop after idiot (me) changed something
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »

acanning

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello All

I’ve been an idiot and messed up my Linux Lite installation. I was attempting to reduce a screen tearing issue and, after googling, typed in these commands;

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
echo -e ‘Section “Device” Identifier “Radeon” Driver “radeon” Option “TearFree” “on” EndSection’ | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amd.conf
sudo reboot

The problem is that the PC now doesn’t boot and ends up with a black screen and flashing curser. The article above says that if I want to reverse this I can run the following command;

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amd.conf
sudo reboot

Trouble is that I can’t get to a command prompt now to run the command which I think is just deleting the 20-amd.conf file.

I have removed the hard drive and plugged it into my laptop which is also running Linux Lite. I can get to the correct directory but the drive is read only so I can’t delete the offending file.

Please can someone help, it’s not the end of the world if I have to do a complete reinstall but I’m sure there must be a way of removing this file.

Many thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section