You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Adding users

Author (Read 21467 times)

Re: Adding users
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
In 1.0.6 you have to use the command line to add users. The command is "adduser", and it will interactively ask you for the user details.

Where as it is possible to use useradd command, it's important to note some defaults do not carry over. They may need to be explicitly set. Copy the following editing the username to which ever you want the username of the newly created account to be.

Code: [Select]
useradd --shell=/bin/bash -m -G users,adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,lpadmin,sambashare -p username

It's also important to note using the above command will not allow a user to access sudo commands. To do so you merely add sudo like so:

useradd --shell=/bin/bash -m -G users,adm,cdrom,dip,plugdev,lpadmin,sambashare,sudo -p username

With all this said, it is still much preferred to use the graphical tool provided in the link in my previous post for creating new users, specially if your a new users to Linux. If anyone has any questions do not be hesitate to ask.

In case a password was not properly set you can use the following to set a password for a user account:

sudo passwd username
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:04:26 PM by shaggytwodope »
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
In 1.0.6 you have to use the command line to add users.  The command is "adduser", and it will interactively ask you for the user details.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:28:59 AM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
User Manager was a feature included in the 1.0.8 release. If you want you can download the .deb package from here.
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

Adding users
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:36:43 AM »

sanjito

I am running 1.0.6 32-bit PAE and cannot for the life of me find a user manager. I found the directions on where it should be (click on Menu, Settings, User Manager) but see nothing there. Hoping someone might have some more info for me.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section