Software - Support > Other

Abnormal operation once booted

(1/2) > >>

stevef:
If an external USB mouse is available and access to the Dell BIOS is usable, check BIOS settings for an option to disable the internal touchpad (and enable USB support if necessary) to see if operation is stable.

Jerry:
Point 6. was the strongest clue that it was hardware.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

trinidad:
If the live system boots use the terminal and the nano text editor to investigate the issue with the installed sytem. Look for the two driver issue.

TC

Rapidrob:
Thank you for the replies. I think I've got it down to the mouse pad. I ordered a new one anyway as it is pretty worn from age / use. If it does not solve the problem I'll try the live boot from a USB or wipe the drive and start from scratch.

trinidad:

--- Quote ---The BIOS screens mouse is also abnormal in operation... no matter if I shut down and pull the battery for several minutes, the same problem is present
--- End quote ---
That pretty much indicates a software problem. Dell laps have had touchpad issues even with OEM Ubuntu installs. I suspect Dell updates itself is the problem. If I had to guess I would suspect there are two drivers installed, though that is just a guess.
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000150104/precision-xps-ubuntu-general-touchpad-mouse-issue-fix
Though the link is dated (Ubuntu 16.04) several of the solutions are commonly employed by Dell users with mixed success.
Suggestion: Open a terminal in the live session and use the nano text editor to make changes to the installed system.
TC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version