You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

A quick RDP question - Tryining to connect access windows laptop via wifi

Author (Read 4328 times)

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Normally, if your Wifi connection is through a router the address range would be 192.168.etc.1-254, however if you are trying to use an ad hoc wifi connection broadcast from Windows and not through a router you most likely won't be able to use that range so the static address you have set in Windows probably won't work if it is in that range. Windows ad hoc Wifi usually broadcasts in the 169.254.etc.1-100 range. Also make sure port 3389 is allowing RDP through your Windows firewall.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-up-an-ad-hoc-wifi-network-in-windows/0caa92d8-e02f-4e7f-aa5c-0abf10ed2039
This is an old link but it explains how to find the the ad hoc wifi address your Windows system is broadcasting.
https://www.dbts-analytics.com/ll3w10hentwk.html
TC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I'm wondering if my problem at this point is that they are not connected to the same network because one PC's wifi does not have the ability to connect to the other PC's wifi

Yes, they would need to be on the same network.
If connecting NIC to NIC via a cable - it'll need to be a cross over cable, not just any patch/cat5 cable... Router/switch or hub  :54:
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

gotLL

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: unknown

• VIDEO CARD: unknown

@gotLL
If Win10 make sure the windows account, if not a local, is fully qualified. [email protected] or what MS uses...

Also may want to check firewalls..
Test by turning off Windows FW and test, then a matter of allowing incoming....

Thanks!
I believe I should have tried connecting the two of them with a LAN cable to see if I could get that to work first.
I'm not sure its possible to connect two PC via each PC's wifi
Now that I'm looking at it some more - I think it might require a hotspot - or a dedicated wifi-router - and connect both PCs to that router.
Then they would both be connected to the same network.
I'm wondering if my problem at this point is that they are not connected to the same network because one PC's wifi does not have the ability to connect to the other PC's wifi
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 01:41:18 AM by gotLL »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@gotLL
If Win10 make sure the windows account, if not a local, is fully qualified. [email protected] or what MS uses...

Also may want to check firewalls..
Test by turning off Windows FW and test, then a matter of allowing incoming....
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

On Linux, I thinks it's "Samba" that lets people share network connection with a Windows computer.

A quick RDP question - Tryining to connect access windows laptop via wifi
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 01:55:35 PM »

gotLL

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: unknown

• VIDEO CARD: unknown

Hello all,
I'm trying to RDP into my windows laptop via wifi
I have the user account setup in windows - the remote access turned on for that account - and a fixed IP address
I've installed Remmina  - and setup the new connection - with the IP address
The windows laptop wifi has not been switched off manually - so as far as I can see it is running
However when I try to access the windows laptop in Remmina - I get the response "Unable to connect to RDP Server"

I suspect this is a simple problem - but my first time trying to do this.
Can anyone help walk me through this?

Sincere thanks!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section