Software - Support > Other

A quick RDP question - Tryining to connect access windows laptop via wifi

(1/2) > >>

trinidad:
Normally, if your Wifi connection is through a router the address range would be 192.168.etc.1-254, however if you are trying to use an ad hoc wifi connection broadcast from Windows and not through a router you most likely won't be able to use that range so the static address you have set in Windows probably won't work if it is in that range. Windows ad hoc Wifi usually broadcasts in the 169.254.etc.1-100 range. Also make sure port 3389 is allowing RDP through your Windows firewall.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-up-an-ad-hoc-wifi-network-in-windows/0caa92d8-e02f-4e7f-aa5c-0abf10ed2039
This is an old link but it explains how to find the the ad hoc wifi address your Windows system is broadcasting.
https://www.dbts-analytics.com/ll3w10hentwk.html
TC

firenice03:

--- Quote from: gotLL on October 31, 2022, 01:39:25 AM ---
I'm wondering if my problem at this point is that they are not connected to the same network because one PC's wifi does not have the ability to connect to the other PC's wifi

--- End quote ---

Yes, they would need to be on the same network.
If connecting NIC to NIC via a cable - it'll need to be a cross over cable, not just any patch/cat5 cable... Router/switch or hub  :54:

gotLL:

--- Quote from: firenice03 on October 31, 2022, 12:27:27 AM ---@gotLL
If Win10 make sure the windows account, if not a local, is fully qualified. [email protected] or what MS uses...

Also may want to check firewalls..
Test by turning off Windows FW and test, then a matter of allowing incoming....

--- End quote ---

Thanks!
I believe I should have tried connecting the two of them with a LAN cable to see if I could get that to work first.
I'm not sure its possible to connect two PC via each PC's wifi
Now that I'm looking at it some more - I think it might require a hotspot - or a dedicated wifi-router - and connect both PCs to that router.
Then they would both be connected to the same network.
I'm wondering if my problem at this point is that they are not connected to the same network because one PC's wifi does not have the ability to connect to the other PC's wifi

firenice03:
@gotLL
If Win10 make sure the windows account, if not a local, is fully qualified. [email protected] or what MS uses...

Also may want to check firewalls..
Test by turning off Windows FW and test, then a matter of allowing incoming....

Artim:
On Linux, I thinks it's "Samba" that lets people share network connection with a Windows computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version