You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Installing Kbackup - uses KDE

Author (Read 7839 times)

Re: Installing Kbackup - uses KDE
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Hi Alan,

I have in the past installed some KDE apps with a lot of dependencies and had no issues and no observable performance changes.

That said, you might want to check out Systemback which I have found very versatile and sounds like it might meet your needs/preferences:

http://www.unixmen.com/systemback-restore-linux-system-previous-state/

Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 03:12:19 AM »

Staten475

Try CloudBacko software for creating your backup plan. It gives full security and protection to our data. Only CloudBacko encrypts your filenames as well. Backup all servers, databases, virtual machines & workstations. Zero data loss with multi-destination cloud & local backup. Easy to use, no training required. Continuous Backup (Continuous Data Protection) in the background .Guaranteed recovery. Support Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Online File Backup Service.

EDITED BY GOLD_FINGER:

I've seen several posts like this on both LL forum and Linux Mint forums.  All similarly worded and all posted by newly registered people with one and only one post -- this nonsense.

SPAM!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:17:27 AM by gold_finger »

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »

Alan_uk

Postscript

Looked at luckybackup. Has had good reviews but not for me as does file copies so good for keeping an exact mirror copy at file level on another disk.

At the moment I've chosen Clonezilla for occassional partition backup. That include the /home partition with all the hidden files with setting.

For daily backup I've chosen Dupliciti 1.3.4. One snag with Dupliciti is that it has to be running to do it's scheduled backups. I thought it a pain to have it running all day long just to run a daily backup (I use alt+tab a lot so it going to be another running process to skip through). But I managed to get Cron to fire up Dupliciti - many sites say it can't be done as Dupliciti is a GUI but I found this works:

Code: [Select]
0 18 * * * export DISPLAY=:0.0 && /usr/bin/duplicati 2> /home/logs/scheduler.stderr # JOB_ID_2

Actually this was defined through the GUI Gnome Schedule 2.1.1 setting the task to X-application (though I see on opening Gnome Schedule it has revert to showing default)

After Dupliciti starts at 6pm and pops up it's a sign to close down my applications and go and have a break :) The Dupliciti scheduled backups start just afterwards.

Long term Dupliciti is being completely rewritten as version 2 and will stop using full and incremental backups and instead use a life long pool system. Seems a bit scary ;) but I guess is more suited to backing up to the cloud.

Alan
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:53:52 PM by Alan_uk »

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:50:28 AM »

Alan_uk

Hi Rob and gold_finger. Many thanks, especially the simulation command.

P.s.  Don't know which backup programs you've tried already, but one called luckybackup works well for me.  It is in the Software Center.  Here is their homepage:  http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/index.html

I've read about lots and now trying some. This could be a go/no go for Linux.  I've read about many packages but lots of them have been developed by one person and "die" when they stop development, often many years ago.

On XP I've used True Image v8 for many many years and think it is great [though I understand later releases became bloatware ;) ]. It does partition images and can do it on a live system. To recover a single file, I simply open the image which then mounts as a new virtual partition and then navigate a familiar file hierarchy. Restore of a single partition is simple, even the Windows "root". I have numerous partitions for data of varying update frequency and therefore take automated backups at a frequency to match.

I've not seen anything on Linux so far that's comparable. Would be happy to pay for something that is easy to use, reliable, automated, backups whole partitions but allows single file recovery.

Have tried Clonezilla (clunky), Dupliciti (needs another look) and Redo (highly dangerous - almost lost all my data). I will add luckybackup to the list.

Alan

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
As Linux Lite is based on Xfce does that make Kbackup a "no no"?

If so, that seems to mean any of the packages listed in Lite Software Center may not be suitable, so why are they there?

More a matter of personal preference.  As N4RPS noted, it should be okay -- will just add a bunch of dependencies and KDE libraries to support the program.  KDE is different enough from other DE's that quite a bit of things will need to be installed to support the addition of one of its programs to your system.  I personally try to avoid mixing KDE stuff, but plenty of people do without any issues.  So, if that looks like the program that will do the job for you -- go for it.

You can see ahead of time exactly what will be installed if you run a simulated installation first.  Open a terminal and enter this to do a simulated install (nothing will actually be installed):
Code: [Select]
apt-get install --simulate kbackup
Scroll back up to near the top of the output and look under "The Following NEW packages will be installed:" to see what will be installed with kbackup.

P.s.  Don't know which backup programs you've tried already, but one called luckybackup works well for me.  It is in the Software Center.  Here is their homepage:  http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/index.html
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:51:42 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

UIAM, Kbackup should work; it will just install whatever KDE-related dependencies it takes to run it - which could add to be quite a bit more than Kbackup alone. You'll find out for certain when you use synaptic or apt-get to install it...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:11:57 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

[SOLVED] Installing Kbackup - uses KDE
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »

Alan_uk

Hi

I've been searching for a decent backup with an easy to use front end. I've spotted Kbackup. In fact it is listed in Lite Software Center. But according to the Kbackup website it uses KDE desktop http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=44998 .

As Linux Lite is based on Xfce does that make Kbackup a "no no"?

If so, that seems to mean any of the packages listed in Lite Software Center may not be suitable, so why are they there ;)

Yours confused,
Alan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:14:19 PM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section