You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Win8.1 OS (C:) partition refuses to shrink!

Author (Read 5851 times)

Re: Win8.1 OS (C:) partition refuses to shrink!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
In the good fully functioning copy that I have of the UEFI dual boot (fast boot & secure boot enabled), that I didn't attempt to install binding on, it works amazingly: the grub screen comes up almost immediately and both LL and win8.1 load from the grub menu in less than 6 seconds!  It's the binding problem that's driving me absolutely crazy...  I am still going to work on this but await further feedback from you on next steps...  I wondered if you could reply on that thread for the binding, so that everything is kept together in one place.

I already did reply on that thread.  Guess you just didn't see that yet.

I'm going to add an edit to that last post of mine and ask further questions about the "good fully functioning copy" to appear to still have.

Win7 was installed from a virgin OEM DVD, laptop booted from DVD in 'UEFI mode' though the firmware was set with fast boot and secure boot both disabled. In booted fine in legacy mode. However when I put the firmware settings back to fast boot & secure boot enabled, when it rebooted it got stuck at a red screen with the message. Yes the disk was GPT etc... 
"Invalid signature detected. Check Secure boot Policy in setup".

Just a few quick thoughts on this although I know you're not experimenting with it anymore.  If it was an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) DVD meant specifically for that laptop, OK.  (Where did you get the disk?  Did you order it from your laptop's manufacturer?)  If not, then it won't work.  The error message sounds like it came from Secure Boot checking to see if it's an approved OS to load on the laptop.  That will reject any OS (Windows or Linux) that does not have a valid certificate to allow installation in UEFI mode.  It's my understanding that retail versions of Win 7 bought at a store will have a valid certificate for that (on 64-bit versions).  But, I'm only going from memory of what I've read and could be wrong.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 01:15:13 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
"Invalid signature detected.

Goldfinger said: Check Secure boot Policy in setup".From what I've read, Win 7 should be installable in UEFI mode, but under a few conditions:
  • It must be a 64-bit version
  • It must be a full "Retail" version of Windows; or an OEM version that was already installed to that particular computer in UEFI mode.  If it's an OEM version that was installed to computer in CSM/Legacy mode, it must be installed as it was originally.  If from a different machine, it won't work either (maybe not in any mode).
  • The hard drive needs to have a GPT partition table on it before you attempt to install to it.  Windows (7 and above) will install to the drive based on the type of partition table it detects on the hard drive.  Windows will only install in Legacy mode if it detects and MBR drive.  And it will only install in UEFI mode if it detects GPT partitions
My reply: yes, sorry, I explained poorly in the last post. Win7 was installed from a virgin OEM DVD, laptop booted from DVD in 'UEFI mode' though the firmware was set with fast boot and secure boot both disabled. In booted fine in legacy mode. However when I put the firmware settings back to fast boot & secure boot enabled, when it rebooted it got stuck at a red screen with the message. Yes the disk was GPT etc... 
"Invalid signature detected. Check Secure boot Policy in setup".  That led me to thnk that UEFI is not backwardly compatible with an OS that's earlier than the one the laptop came preinstalled with, though of course I might be completely wrong here.   Anyway, enough of my brief flirting with win7.
I've now returned to the problem of binding in the dual boot UEFI set-up I have for LL2.4/win8.1 - see latest in that thread.  Under Gparted, I notice that sdb (GPT, ntfs formatted), for the DATA partition, has a msftdata flag - maybe  protected by windows from any other OS trying to get at it??? In the good fully functioning copy that I have of the UEFI dual boot (fast boot & secure boot enabled), that I didn't attempt to install binding on, it works amazingly: the grub screen comes up almost immediately and both LL and win8.1 load from the grub menu in less than 6 seconds!  It's the binding problem that's driving me absolutely crazy...  I am still going to work on this but await further feedback from you on next steps...  I wondered if you could reply on that thread for the binding, so that everything is kept together in one place.  Many thanks
Regards
Mike

64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I'm a bit late to the party here  ??? , but going to offer a few thoughts.

I have to copies of my original win8.1 OS, thankfully, as the original one doesn't work.
On the 250GB SSD is the following:
900MB recovery partition
100MB EFI System Partition
231.78GB OS (C:) NTFS

I need to shrink C: so that I have some space for an LL2.4 reinstall. The shrink tool under Disk Management doesn't seem to work, or at least is indicating that no space is available for shrinking.

As N4RPS and Wirezfree pointed out, if Fast Startup is not disabled then Win 8 is likely hibernated when "off" and that would cause problems when trying to use GParted.

I don't know anything about Win 8, but if it also uses a paging file like Win 7, that could have played a role too.  (More so when trying to shrink from Win disk management, because I don't think GParted is affected by it.  Although I could be wrong on that.)  5 years ago (when I last dual-booted with Windows), I had to disable the paging file in order to shrink the Win partition in disk management.  After shrink, just enabled it again and it got put in a new spot on the newly shrunk partition.

Rob, I've succeeded.
I downloaded the free version of Minitool Partition Wizard and it worked a treat in shrinking the drive by 50% & healthy rebooting.

Best guess is that since the tool is designed for use with Windows, it knows how to get around the hiberfil.sys file and/or the paging file problem.

I learnt something yesterday I didn't know before: it's impossible to install win7 on a fresh drive in UEFI (only possible with CMS) on on a laptop that has had the original drive (preinstalled with win8.1) removed...

From what I've read, Win 7 should be installable in UEFI mode, but under a few conditions:
  • It must be a 64-bit version
  • It must be a full "Retail" version of Windows; or an OEM version that was already installed to that particular computer in UEFI mode.  If it's an OEM version that was installed to computer in CSM/Legacy mode, it must be installed as it was originally.  If from a different machine, it won't work either (maybe not in any mode).
  • The hard drive needs to have a GPT partition table on it before you attempt to install to it.  Windows (7 and above) will install to the drive based on the type of partition table it detects on the hard drive.  Windows will only install in Legacy mode if it detects and MBR drive.  And it will only install in UEFI mode if it detects GPT partitions.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Rob, I've succeeded.
I downloaded the free version of Minitool Partition Wizard and it worked a treat in shrinking the drive by 50% & healthy rebooting.
EaseUS Partition was another option but after the free demo, you had to pay $39 to get the key to apply the changes.  Fingers crossed
that the free one doesn't come with malware...
Regards
Mike

Hello!

You're welcome. I'm glad you were able to resize your partition. As Dave said, you will have to turn off hiberfil.sys in Windows 8, as it causes problem when trying to access thye Windows 8 partition from Linux. From a Win8 command prompt (Windows key > X > A), type

Code: [Select]
powercfg -h off
This will both disable the hibernation file and should gain you some free space on your Windows partition.
I have used EaseUS before, but it's been a whille. I don't remember that they want you to buy it to apply the changes, so perhaps that's something new for them...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:51:12 PM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Yes, you're right Dave about taking notes - I try and do that as I go along - so easily forgotten if you don't record or use it regularly...
I learnt something yesterday I didn't know before: it's impossible to install win7 on a fresh drive in UEFI (only possible with CMS) on on a laptop that has had the original drive (preinstalled with win8.1) removed...  So UEFI means that secure boot is not backwardly compatible - that's a shame and a real nuisance as secure boot appears to make a very significant difference to speed as I've noticed with the LL/win8.1 dual-boot with UEFI fully enabled (fast boot & secure boot on).

Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Great News...

Hope you have kept good notes..!!   :)
Just in case you ever need to start from scratch..!!   :o

With the various threads, the notes could be a good "How To..."

Dave
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

...Re. dual boot win8.1/LL2.4... yes, working iwith UEFI fully enabled (crikey, LL boots really quickly in UEFI!) but a bit of a long story... I am now back where I started setting up binding of DATA subdirectories to My Home Directories... taking on board goldfinger's advice about putting the EFI partition in the fstab file... getting there and will get back to that thread soon.

Thanks Rob
Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

I guess I was typing at the same time....

I assume you can still boot, Win8 & Linux O.K

Dave
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

Hi,

I don't have Win8...
Google "How to check if Fast Boot is enabled" and "How to check if Hibernation is enabled"

If they are.??, Disable them, re-boot, and check in Win8 if you can then re-size.?

Dave

Computers Early days:

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Rob, I've succeeded.
EaseUS Partition was another option but after the free demo, you had to pay $39 to get the key to apply the changes.  Fingers crossed
that the free one doesn't come with malware...
Regards
Mike

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Even under GParted it appears impossible to resize by any amount... min size & max size both given as 237344MB !
Oh dear... what to do?

Yours woefully
Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:13:30 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

Hi,

Only only briefly flirted with Win8, but having read in various forums/threads depending on how Win8 is setup it can make disk management a bit more difficult.?
From what I read if you have "Fast Boot" and/or "Hibernation" enabled it seems to set flags/locks on the disk which may account for why within Win8 you are unable to resize.??
I can see the rational, if you try to shrink it, you could inadvertently make it smaller than Win8 needs for it's own internal needs..??

Having said that, not sure what the impact will be if you re-size it from "outside" of Win8 with gparted.

GL - Dave

Computers Early days:

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Thanks Rob.
Yes, my drive has GPT partitions so, from what you so, it looks good to shrink using LL live in Gparted.
Thanks for your help. I will subsequently post the outcome...

Cheers
Mike

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 06:39:58 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Folks, if I've left anything important out of all this, please correct me. This should go without saying, but if you can, BACK EVERYTHING UP before attempting ANY of this!

Although it's not the preferred method, yes, you CAN use GPartEd from LiveCD/LiveUSB. I used to do it that way before someone here told me that it's best done - and done so more quickly - in Windows.

Since you have a UEFI boot partition, you probably use GPT partitioning. If you don't, you will have to create a fourth partition as a logical partition to use for your LL partition and swap area.

Just make sure to reboot into Windows right after you shrink it in GPartEd, so that it can run a CHKDSK on the newly-resized partition. If it doesn't run CHKDSK automatically (it should), tell it to...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:52:53 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Win8.1 OS (C:) partition refuses to shrink!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:14:37 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

I have to copies of my original win8.1 OS, thankfully, as the original one doesn't work.
On the 250GB SSD is the following:
900MB recovery partition
100MB EFI System Partition
231.78GB OS (C:) NTFS

I need to shrink C: so that I have some space for an LL2.4 reinstall. The shrink tool under Disk Management doesn't seem to work, or at least is indicating that no space is available for shrinking.  This is strange as I did it before, and the windows shrink tool usually allows up to a 50% shrinkage to generate free space. Can I, instead shrink under an LL live environment, using GParted to do the job for me?

Thanks for any help
Mike

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section