You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

screen saver and shut down

Author (Read 9537 times)

Re: screen saver and shut down
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 05:40:25 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

There are some tricks to installing and using Caffeine - like changing the name in the .desktop file to load it as caffeine-indicator, changing the supplied icons for darker themes if necessary, etc.

Duckeenie recently posted this script that looks like it'd take a whole lot less code to implement than Caffeine:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/scripting-and-bash/fix-for-clementine-not-preventing-sleep-%28on-ac-power%29/msg18277/#msg18277

Next chance I get, I'll try this one out for myself...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:45:02 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 08:27:45 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@tomt
Not sure - if it will correct your issue 100% - but a few other applications to check settings on:
Power Manager - make sure that you dont have a sleep or shut down monitor - think mine had something by default
Also Light-Locker usually for screen lock, but also screensaver functionality.

For me - I had wake from hibernate issues - ScreenSaver and Power Manger are similarly based..
I disabled Light-Locker completely
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 06:42:32 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks tomt for the update! :)

The instructions/ code I posted earlier were referring to this version of caffeine [2. 8]. Otherwise there wouldn't be the caffeine-indicator command available :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:23:29 AM by LL-user »

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Hi LL,
  I thought you might like to know there is a later version of caffeine available (2.8), which is supposed to work where some are now not working. Screensaver it seems is included in the xfce desktop environmental package that also includes essential components for the graphical desk top environment and cannot be removed however, I have discovered that with re-installing xscreensaver  along with other software xscreensaver-gl extra and xscreensaver-data to be shared with among screensaver front ends and disabling xscreensaver seems to solve the problem. My theory is since these packages are used by both xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver the disabling seems to work across platforms. Below is the link for the updated caffeine for anyone who might want to install it.   

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/01/caffeine-app-gets-its-indicator-back.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:34:38 PM by tomt »

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You're welcome :)

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Yes it seems to be deeply embedded in the system, screensaver that is. Thank you so much for your tip. I am going to try that I am very grateful for taking time to explain that to me. Perhaps others who may have had this problem will be helped also.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:17:23 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi tomt,

Great you found a solution! :)

Screensaver is deeper rooted in the system than expected. On machines I couldn't install caffeine or it didn't work I reverted to writing some scripts to deactivate/ block the screensaver from kicking in.

In regard to caffeine, there is nothing to open. If you run it directly after installation, i.e. without changing the command, it's supposed to do its magic automatically. If you change the command to "caffeine-indicator" then you will see a coffee cup symbol in the notification area and you can toggle it manually. A left click on the cup will show you all you can do: Activate/Deactivate, About, Quit.

Just FYI...

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

I don`t understand the causal relationship but switching proprietary drives from 304updated to x.org seemed to have solved the screensaver problem. Thanks to those who took the time to post in reply to my problem. 

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

I did some testing a while back. And it was very frustrating. The screensaver functionality I definitely consider as one area for possible improvements, especially with people new to Linux on my mind: configuration in one place and something like that (turn it off) working without fancy steps.

For the time being I have settled with using an additional program to turn off screensaver when I don't need/want it.

program name: caffeine

installation:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install caffeine

If you run it as installed, it won't show up in the notification area where I prefer to have it and toggle it manually. And it will be added to the startup applications. Latter can be deactivated (menu: -> Settings -> Session and Startup) and former can be achieved by dong this:

* richt click on menu and choose: Edit Applications
* select Caffeine under Accessories and click: Properties
* change the command to:
/usr/bin/caffeine-indicator

Hope that helps :)
Thanks for your help. Did as you suggested right through startup and got it on the menu but was unable to open it so I could set it. I did however seem to have solved the problem and I really do not understand the process, I switched drives from 304 update to x.org and so far the sleeper has not blackened the screen. Now I have not watched a 45 min. movie yet but hopefully it won`t go blank. I am flying on auto pilot and the plane is still in the air for now. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:41:18 AM by tomt »

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Have you gone to

menu -. settings -> screensaver

and change the time length?  You can enter some ridiculously high time.

Sheng-Chieh
Thanks for your suggestion however I removed screensaver from the software repository so there is no front end which kind of baffled me as it should not be working.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:09:07 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I did some testing a while back. And it was very frustrating. The screensaver functionality I definitely consider as one area for possible improvements, especially with people new to Linux on my mind: configuration in one place and something like that (turn it off) working without fancy steps.

For the time being I have settled with using an additional program to turn off screensaver when I don't need/want it.

program name: caffeine

installation:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install caffeine

If you run it as installed, it won't show up in the notification area where I prefer to have it and toggle it manually. And it will be added to the startup applications. Latter can be deactivated (menu: -> Settings -> Session and Startup) and former can be achieved by dong this:

* richt click on menu and choose: Edit Applications
* select Caffeine under Accessories and click: Properties
* change the command to:
/usr/bin/caffeine-indicator

Hope that helps :)

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:20:54 AM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
Have you gone to

menu -. settings -> screensaver

and change the time length?  You can enter some ridiculously high time.

Sheng-Chieh

screen saver and shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Hoping for some help here. I have a problem with sceensaver. I Cannot turn off screen saver even though I removed it from software and all other packages related to screensaver. Computer goes black after a certain period of time and only comes back on when I move the curser that includes even if I am watching a video. I am on an HP desktop with 500+GB and Linux Lite 2.4 with Adobe flash updated on all three browsers that i am running. I have removed all and any software related to screen saving. Running 3.13.0-24-generic (x86_64) GNU compiler version 4.8.2 (ubuntu 4.8.2-19 ubuntu 1) Do not need screen saver and need to fix unexpected  black out every 15 or twenty minutes. I have no graphical front end to adjust. Thanks to anyone with an idea on how to fix this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:21:15 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section