You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Please, - DVB-T stick, Not only TV, realtek..., howto install on LL3.8 32bits

Author (Read 5071 times)

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Lite1964,

I found this tutorial for you, try this one first as there is a lot of info about the format and locations that may be relevant.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to-watch-digital-tv-with-kaffeine-or-me-tv-in-ubuntu/906

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:41:05 PM by bitsnpcs »

Lite1964

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1,5

• MEMORY: 2Gb

I'll try your recent hints, friends, in coming days.
I will update on progress.

thax
Ren

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

this is the book (pdf) https://ranous.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/rtl-sdr4linux_quickstartv2-18.pdf

I used for installing the drivers, and software, it worked without any issues.
The above book doesn't cover TV though this is for using it as an SDR (software defined radio). Although the device is meant for TV someone noticed years ago it can be hacked and used as a very low cost SDR, equivalent to about $1000+ radio equipment, it is why RTL SDR has became so popular.
Currently also giving rise to its popularity is a distro called Pi-Aware made by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and FlightAware, if you run that on a Pi 24/7 and register the base station FA give you full access and a free enterprise account for your help monitoring the aircraft. If there are not many registered in your area or if the signal is very bad in that area, they send you special equipment for Free if you run the base station server.
Although that makes it easier to set up, it can be set up on various Linux Distros, including Linux Lite, unsure if any of the community do this yet ?

On the Ubuntu link I posted earlier there are 2 solutions shown, the final one is a PPA it gives instructions, copy/paste (or type) these in to terminal one line at a time and press enter, wait for the prompt then enter the next line.
I am not positive ? but it seems from the wording they have added the make file instructions posted earlier in the thread, in to the PPA.

The make file it assembles (compiles) a program in C, to do this you also add it one line at a time and press enter after each line in your terminal.
In the book The Linux Command Line, pdf version free here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxcommand/files/TLCL/17.10/TLCL-17.10.pdf/download

In Chapter 23 , it explains about compiling programs, and there are exercises to practice doing this safely, this chapter is only 9 pages. As I had already done this chapter I felt more positive about giving the instructions in the book a try.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:24:30 PM by bitsnpcs »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Looks like your device uses RTL2832U, or has worked with that in the past. Also looks like kernel support has been around for a while as well. @bitsnpcs may be your best source here as I have never used your device. But yes enter rtl2832u in the synaptic search box.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Lite1964

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Debian has an rtl tools package that includes an EEProm interface to program from, from which you can work directly with the chipset. Not for any amatuer endeavor though. Could you post the OEM name of the stick, and the chipset it uses i/e rtl2xxxx? If you can find that chipset number (rtlxxxx) just paste it in synaptic package manager search bar to see what support is currently available from Ubuntu repos. Make sure multiverse is enabled.
TC

Yea, direct meddling in the chipset seems too early thing for me, yet...
On my stick I read: LV5TDLX  DVB-T USB
trade name is "NOT only TV".

" If you can find that chipset number (rtlxxxx) just paste it in synaptic package manager search bar to see what support is currently available from Ubuntu repos."

What should I paste in the synaptic actually?

thanks Trinidad

Lite1964

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello,
I have the same sticks, 2 of them and also an RTLSDR-blog one.
I have not tried to use them for TV though, but radio, CubicSDR, and dump1080 for aircrafts.
Have you tried this solution - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2109585

Hi, Bitsnpcs
There seem to be few ways and methods in the post. I'll go through them though some of the commands I tried here and there, just blindly rather without success.
Thanks

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Debian has an rtl tools package that includes an EEProm interface to program from, from which you can work directly with the chipset. Not for any amatuer endeavor though. Could you post the OEM name of the stick, and the chipset it uses i/e rtl2xxxx? If you can find that chipset number (rtlxxxx) just paste it in synaptic package manager search bar to see what support is currently available from Ubuntu repos. Make sure multiverse is enabled.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

I have the same sticks, 2 of them and also an RTLSDR-blog one.
I have not tried to use them for TV though, but radio, CubicSDR, and dump1080 for aircrafts.

Have you tried this solution - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2109585

Lite1964

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

That must be either so easy or so difficult, that nobody may help...
Keep on hoping for helping hand ...

Please, - DVB-T stick, Not only TV, realtek..., howto install on LL3.8 32bits
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:47:34 PM »

Lite1964

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am trying to benfit from LL after windowsing for years and still using old, weak laptops ( aprox 1,5 ghz, 2 gb ram, 32 bits). But it is not easy, must admit. Lots to browse the net to find some magicall sudos apt-gets makes that do not necessarilly result in needed solution.
Can someone, please, write clear instruction how to acctivate my TV dvbt stick?
I am not a pc man to much, alas. MeTV doesnt see the stick at the moment.
I'd appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:53:52 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section