You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Mouse suddenly not working when turn on Dell Inspiron 1545 running LL 3.8

Author (Read 2465 times)

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
I've sourced an external mouse through a friend there so he will arrange to pick it up and give it a try...

I will update once he has it and also try a few things.

thanks for your thoughts.

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Did he try using another mouse (if he has one handy) to check it's not simply a hardware problem ?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:10:28 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
I'm hoping someone can help me out.  One of my youth in South Africa is using a donated Dell Inspiron 1545 on which I loaded LL 3.8.  It has been working well with no issues until Tuesday of last week.

When he turned it on and went to check the battery the mouse would not move (I have the icon on the bottom task bar which shows the battery power level so he was trying to get there).

Now the kicker is that he's in South Africa and I'm here in Canada.  I have googled to see if I can find anything easy to rectify this issue, but nothing comes up. Apparently the Dell 1545 does not have any hot keys or switches that enable or disable the mouse pad.

I do have a notebook here running LL 3.8 that I have been fiddling with to see what I might be able to find out and have tried the steps below.

I found out that by pressing "Alt + F1" I can get to the menu and use the arrow keys to get to various applications.  My thoughts were to try these various options using the above (Alt + F1 and cursors):
1) go to Applications>Settings>Mouse & Touchpad then see if it was enabled or disabled
OR
2) go to Application>System>Systemback then restore to the most recent restore point and see if the mousepad worked.
OR
3) turn on the computer and make sure it SHUT DOWN PROPERLY then boot it up again and see if the mouse pad/cursor worked. I go through the same process as above: Applications>Logout (shows logout, restart and shutdown screen).

HOWEVER - Once I get to the end of any of these paths e.g. into mouse & touch pad or system back I can no longer get anywhere with the cursors...so I am stuck again.

Any ideas?

Right now I am seeing if he can source an external USB mouse with which we can try the above possible fixes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:14:20 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section