You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

lm-sensors

Author (Read 6690 times)

Re: lm-sensors
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
"Like I said laptops do not have settings like you are talking abut in the bios. You will never find a setting like that in a laptop bios."
Wrong. And most modern laptops 5 years and newer default to fans always on, and also include a testing suite for the hardware. Many like HPs newer i5s and i7s won't even allow OS booting with the fans turned off. I had two brand new HP i7s go through the shop here two weeks ago both ruined by the user tinkering, annoyed with fan noise. One wouldn't boot at all (fan not working message) and the other would but began to smoke after ten minutes or so. I defaulted the BIOS on both of them after testing the fans and they now work perfectly. Default is fans always on. Linux cannot address every OEM hardware/firmware configuration even on very modern laps, and notably with the 8th generation of Intel CPUs OEMs like HP and Dell have begun to install failsafe settings controlled by the firmware that Linux cannot tinker with. And yes there are usually CPU performance settings you can use with Sandy Bridge CPUs and Core 2 Duos that decrease the fan noise. It's confusing because sometimes they are under CPU performance, sometimes power saving settings, sometimes SSE settings (hibernate, suspend etc., and sometimes fan settings, though not often. Also fans on laptops cool more than the CPU, so CPU temps are not the tell all when considering heat on hardware. CPU temps can be taken as a baseline for general hardware temps, but other hardware may need more cooling than you think, so just because your CPU is relatively cool, the correlation to your other hardware temps can have an unpredictable factoring exponent. Computers are built by computer builders, not by for instance tool and die machine builders. What this means is that they often have very imprecise means of controlling natural phenomenon like temperatures. If you like fun, and your lap is not particularly important to you go ahead and tinker. If you just spent $2000 on a new HP lap, probably best to leave it alone with its default settings.
To understand what you're up against with Lenovo see the link below:
https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/issues/526

TC
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:53:24 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »

freefreeno

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5 7200u

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel graphics 620
Just answeing your post. Like I said laptops do not have settings like you are talking abut in the bios. You will never find a setting like that in a laptop bios.
I am on a Lenovo Yoga laptop and me and alot of people will find that the default thermald config is not working on our laptops. My fans are running even when I am at 36 c and I have done left ths distro once because of this and I don't want to leave again. I am using the uefi test addition and love it if I could reduce the wear and tear on fans. There needs to be a tutorial on adjusting thermald config xml file to your laptop.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:21:50 PM by freefreeno »

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Think CPU performance not temperature. In the BIOS there are settings to choose optimizing CPU performance.Choosing the highest performance level defaults the fans to either run all the time, or at the least to run a lot more because the CPU is expected to work harder especially with video. It is common on Dells with skylake or older CPUs.Choose the in between setting for CPU performance,which is usually the one involving power saving. Linux ACPI support is not complete by any estimation for skylake CPUs and there is no real community interest as the issues are always minor. Generally BIOS binaries control the OEM fans on Intel stuff, an issue that is often not resolvable with software. It's basically a non issue on newer more expensive machines because there are Linux compatible add-on PCI fan controllers available for purchase for big gamer machines etc.   

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:41:20 PM »

freefreeno

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am still looking for a simple way to turn fans down in linux. My laptop runs very very cool so the fans shouldnt be running.
iwlwifi-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +44.0°C 

pch_skylake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +32.5°C 

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +36.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +36.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +35.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

At those temps my fans should never kick on the way I see it.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Hi @freefreeno

As I see it, you might try these two options and see whether one or the other does what you want since both claim to do it

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

https://github.com/amanusk/s-tui
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

lm-sensors
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »

freefreeno

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I am having this small issue with fans running too much and I have noticed that sensors only shows me temp and not fan speed so I ran sudo senors-detect but have not finished because the little guide I am following says to not do it if my drivers are built into kernel.(Before you answer, look in your kernel configuration file to see if the drivers are built-in, or are loadable modules. If they are built-in then don't modify /etc/modules. If they are modules, then modify /etc/modules. So basically I am stuck not really knowing if I sould answer yes at the end of sudo sensors-detect or not so any advice would be great.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:56:49 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section