You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Mouse Acceleration/Sens... adjustments in Mouse/Touchpad have no effect on mouse

Author (Read 9875 times)

ADI8421

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron B800 1.5Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ??

• Kernel: 5.x
I've taken your advice and turned off my Touchpad. It was never a problem before, probably due to low default sensitivity setting, but I've turned it off anyway as it's a good idea. Thankyou.

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Ryzen 3 3200u

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon Vega 3

I used to use xinput. I remember someone said synclient is better. But, I think it might be the other way around. Googling about the two, it sounds like xinput is preferred (something abut libinput not working with synclient.). If you ever try setting any synclient parms and they don't take (or, the synclient command disappears), that might be why.

I don't know why this isn't developed further (considering how difficult it seems to be to use a laptop with that confounded thing enabled). You'd think distros would detect a mouse, and disable the touchpad automatically. Or, have a default key combination to toggle it on/off when present. It's strange to me that that's not a standard among all desktops or distros.

ADI8421

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for that info.

In the meantime I found another solution using the 'xinput' commands in a script file which I now run at boot time.

I appreciate your help.
Many thanks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:49:57 PM by ADI8421 »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Ryzen 3 3200u

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon Vega 3

This may not be a solution, but you can execute "synclient" from the command line to see the parms that the user-interface should be setting for you. (You can also change those. For example: "synclient touchpadoff=1" will turn off the touchpad.). The settings are documented here: https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html

The only thing I do is turn off the touchpad in my .profile. (And then I assign a .sh script to a keyboard combination which will determine the current state, and toggle it. That way if I boot up without a mouse and need the touchpad, I can press Alt+Win+space.

I don't know how people can live with the touchpad on. I can't barely type a word without the cursor jumping somewhere. Apparently, using those parms you could (in a program monitoring keyboard activity) dynamically adjust sensitivity. (I read someone say they were going to write a program to do that. But, I never heard anymore more about it.).

ADI8421

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi, I've just installed Linux Lite on an internal SSD (Swapped out the DVD drive). Win7 is on the original HDD of Compaq Presario CQ57 laptop.

Mouse Acceleration/Sensitivity adjustments in Settings -Mouse/Touchpad have no effect on the either external wireless mouse or the laptop's own touchpad. All other settings ie. Reverse Scroll direction, left handed, right handed etc do work OK and are saved OK and remain on reboot. Accel/Sens changes have absolutely no effect on hardware. The slider settings of both are saved on exit too.

Is there a solution at all ?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:48:43 PM by ADI8421 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section