You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How do I properly uninstall a distro dual-booted with LL 2.0?

Author (Read 3642 times)

Re: How do I properly uninstall a distro dual-booted with LL 2.0?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Many thanks Rob and gold_finger.  I tried what you advised and the problem is now solved. Cheers!

Regards
Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
If LL 2.0 is the distro currently in charge of booting the computer then you have nothing to worry about.  Just boot into LL, use GParted to delete the other distro's partition(s) (make sure they are unmounted first) and run sudo update-grub in an LL terminal to eliminate its entry from the boot menu.

If the other distro is controlling the boot process, then boot into LL 2.0 and install grub to the MBR of the drive so LL takes over boot control.  (sudo grub-install /dev/sda assuming sda is the drive you boot from.)  After rebooting, run sudo update-grub to update the grub menu and get rid of the entry for the now deleted OS.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:46:32 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

This may be deja vu, but a few days ago, I had to remove Linux Lite from a dual-boot PC. Using a LiveCD, I deleted the LL partition and swap area and rebooted. Of course, I received a 'grub rescue' prompt at the next boot.

It took another reboot to the LiveCD, installing the boot-repair PPA and boot-repair, and running boot-repair to fix everything for me...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:58:27 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

How do I properly uninstall a distro dual-booted with LL 2.0?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:46 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
On a second laptop, I have LL 2.0 dual-booted with another distro (also ubuntu-based),
which I would like to remove, so that I only have LL 2.0 remaining on that computer
as my OS of choice.

I know that I need to do this properly, as merely deleting the distro's partition in Gparted
could mess up the grub screen spectacularly, and the computer generally.

I assume the procedure would be the same if I had any number of distros multi-booted
up to the maximum permissible number of 4 on any hard disk drive.

Grateful for any guidance on how to go about this. 

Regards
Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section