You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How do I get back into my MS XP desktop?

Author (Read 4150 times)

Re: How do I get back into my MS XP desktop?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:43 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
OR, OR, OR.......

You can log back into XP, open Outlook, export your contacts to a *.csv file, and then import that file into Linux Lite Thunderbird Mail.

https://support.office.com/en-nz/article/Export-contacts-from-Outlook-and-other-email-services-and-programs-ff357412-38f7-4a3a-b8b9-6514b6ea99e6?ui=en-US&rs=en-NZ&ad=NZ
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Re: How do I get back into my MS XP desktop?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Were you using webmail (yahoo, gmail, Hotmail, etc) in Outlook?  If so, then your contacts are included with your account and will follow you with any email software client you choose to use.

If you were not using webmail, then according to https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird#w_switching-from-outlook-2007-to-thunderbird, it appears it would be best for you to log into XP, install Mozilla Thunderbird, and import your contacts into Thunderbird.  From there, I imagine your contacts would be in a Thunderbird format that you could export and bring into your Linux Lite version of Thunderbird.

If you can no longer log into XP, then you might be able to get a version of Outlook installed in Linux Lite using the Wine program (found in Lite Software).  If Outlook opens successfully, you could point Outlook to the address book file/folder on the XP part of your hard drive.  It's messier, but still an arrow in your quiver.  But personally, I hope either of the first two paragraphs represent your situation.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

How do I get back into my MS XP desktop?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

rabar51

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 2.8

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 32
I need to import my contacts from Outlook EMail into the Linux system. Do I need to access my XP portion of the hard drive in order to reopen OUtlook to grab the file?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section