You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Fan control

Author (Read 22161 times)

Re: Fan control
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Fan control has been an issue with Linux for some time now. Linux is less processor-intensive than Windows, so the fan should run less anyway. (I get more operating time on my netbook's battery; YMMV). When the processor needs cooling, the fan SHOULD come on.

Buy a can of liquid air, spray the fan out, make sure you're not smothering your laptop, and ENJOY. Laptops, especially faster ones, run hot by nature anyway.

Is it an older laptop? You said it's a DV6, so it's probably not. On older laptops and desktops, the paste compound between the processor and the heat sink can break down. If this happens, the PC or laptop will usually shut down on its own after a brief period of time. New paste can be applied, but on a laptop, it must be disassembled to reach the heat sink and CPU.

Additionally, older desktops experience thermal breakdown of the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. The innards of these parts swell, split the tops (by design), and ultimately, leak electrolyte, a corrosive substance which smells like ammonia. This can ALSO cause system failure and erratic operation.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:18:33 PM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Try the second post here - http://askubuntu.com/questions/22108/how-to-control-fan-speed
I installed Pensor. Now I am thinking about the above install too, then cleaning my fan, and activating the firewall as recommended in other posts.

:-\ I am staring to think I am worrying too much and overthinking this stuff too much. I not having an overheating problem often. Maybe I should just stop and enjoy the ride that Linux Lite is providing?

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 03:23:09 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:17 PM »

siringo

I installed psensor, it just lets you see how hot things are running and alerts you when the temp exceeds a setting you set. It doesn't let you alter any fan or temp values etc.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
My desktop computer has crashed a couple of times too. It did not seem to be working to hard.  I had Thunderbird running but don't know if it was checking mail and browsing using Firefox. I have had to unplug it then plug it back in then reboot. I get a message saying that it had crashed due to overheating.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:31:40 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Try installing psensor, see if this helps.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »

siringo

Well the fan is being spun up and down which is great, but it kicks in a bit later than what I'm used to. Is there any way settings for the fan can be altered? For example, is it possible to have the fan speed up at 60c instead of 80c etc etc? Is there a config file that can be altered??

Thanks again.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:58 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I've tried to post the report a few times and I keep getting a server error. I've attached it ..... hopefully. Thanks for helping. Now I'm not in a noisey server room, I can hear my fan spinning. But earlier today, the fan wasn't speeding up as much as it would under Windows previously. Thanks for any help.

In that case, use it a bit tonight at home in a quiet environment, and let us know how you get on.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:45 AM »

siringo

I've tried to post the report a few times and I keep getting a server error. I've attached it ..... hopefully.

Thanks for helping. Now I'm not in a noisey server room, I can hear my fan spinning. But earlier today, the fan wasn't speeding up as much as it would under Windows previously.

Thanks for any help.

[attachment deleted by admin, more than 25 days old]

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:05 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Can you please attach a system report to your next post, Menu > System > Create System Report. Thank you.

Fan control
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »

siringo

Hello.

My laptop seems to get quite hot during use and the fan doesn't seem to kick in as it used to when I ran Windows.

I've googled the problem and it seems quite a common problem with Linux. I'm hoping some one here can help me out.

I have an HP DV6 Pavilion. The fan is OK as if I shut down Linux, reboot, and break into the BIOS, the fan starts up as it used to in Windows and attempts to cool things down.

Thanks for any help.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section