You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Asus G750JS - has anyone installed LL on this?

Author (Read 6457 times)

Re: [SOLVED] Asus G750JS - has anyone installed LL on this?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:58:47 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

This thread that I started is now somewhat out of date.

I have already posted a modified transcript of Nehal J Wani's youtube video, including some notes/observations of my own, for installation of a win8.1/LL2.4 UEFI dual-boot on an Asus G750JS laptop under the 'Tutorials' section on this forum.

Yes, sir - and it's very good. Used it myself not too long ago.

As mentioned in the Tutorial notes, disabling fast boot does indeed appear to avoid the problem of LL 'hanging' at shutdown, and I tried this in response to some of your suggestions in this forum - many thanks for this.

You wouldn't happen to have an AMD/ATI Radeon video card, would you? There's a fix for that, and it lets me (and a few others) secure boot AND shut down without the agonizing wait. You can find out more here:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/start-up-and-shutdown/shutdown-problems-andor-sluggish-system-w-amd-graphics/msg13891/#msg13891

Disabling fast boot doesn't appear to significantly alter boot-up times on my system, which operates very rapidly anyway with two SSD drives installed (sda = win8.1 and LL2.4 OSes; sdb=shared data drive, including VMs).  The advantage that comes with UEFI enabled is that my laptop appears to run much more snappily than in Legacy/BIOS, including boot-up/shutdown times and the graphics are greatly improved.  So I would give a hearty thumbs-up for any UEFI support being integrated into future releases of LL.

I guess the best way for that to happen is to help Jerry out in that regard, by getting him a laptop/desktop that supports UEFI.

Meanwhile (unless I am oversimplifying all this), as I see it, all Mr. Wani seems to be doing is shimming in the UEFI GRUB bootloader. If the UEFI patch is implemented on a current LiveCD and a new LiveCD is created from it, that should bring UEFI to LL.

Changes to Ubiquity (installer) might also be needed, but I doubt it. If the community can help, we just might have UEFI support in LL sooner than we think...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 03:39:31 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
This thread that I started is now somewhat out of date.

I have already posted a modified transcript of Nehal J Wani's youtube video, including some notes/observations of my own, for installation of a win8.1/LL2.4 UEFI dual-boot on an Asus G750JS laptop under the 'Tutorials' section on this forum.

As mentioned in the Tutorial notes, disabling fast boot does indeed appear to avoid the problem of LL 'hanging' at shutdown, and I tried this in response to some of your suggestions in this forum - many thanks for this. 

Disabling fast boot doesn't appear to significantly alter boot-up times on my system, which operates very rapidly anyway with two SSD drives installed (sda = win8.1 and LL2.4 OSes; sdb=shared data drive, including VMs).  The advantage that comes with UEFI enabled is that my laptop appears to run much more snappily than in Legacy/BIOS, including boot-up/shutdown times and the graphics are greatly improved.  So I would give a hearty thumbs-up for any UEFI support being integrated into future releases of LL.

Regards
Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:41:52 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

UIAM, you may have to temporarily disable secure boot on it (since you will have to install legacy LL), then convert it to UEFI using the procedure here in the tutorial section of the forums and/or on YouTube.

For the other distros, you should build a UEFI LiveUSB drive, which is easy - format a flash drive as FAT32, mount the ISO, and just copy all the files in the ISO over to the flash drive...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
I have an ASUS GL551JM, 6 months old that I couldn't get LinuxLite to boot at all.
(machine error, uopn booting several distros caused it, all Ubuntu based. I tried every bios setting)
 I will try your suggestion mike (m654321).
Crossing my fingers.....
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:59:34 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

You're welcome.

I SO hate having to 'reinvent the wheel'. Documenting something I've had to figure out makes things that much easier on the next guy...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Thankyou Jerry, Rob N4RPS and goldfinger for your comments.
Yesterday, I had a look at the Nehal J Wani's LL/win8.1 dual boot installation video again, that Jerry posted, & after three attempts (largely down to my inexperience) now have a fully functioning LL/win8.1 dual booted Asus G750JS with UEFI on.

Yes, I had the same problem that you mentioned, Rob, with the text wrapping issue in Wani's video, which confused things about where character spaces in the code should be.  Saw the comment below his video at the Youtube website - thanks.

I have posted some difficulties that I experienced with the above mentioned dual-boot, and how I got around these, in the following post:
Linux Lite Forum / Software Support / Installing Linux Lite / Dual Boot Linux Lite and Windows 8 / Reply#26.
Many thanks for your interest & help - much appreciated.

Regards
Mike

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:23:54 AM by gold_finger »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I've bought a gaming laptop (has both UEFI & Legacy boot), an Asus G750JS, but am having problems installing LL2.4 properly in legacy boot, with either MBR or GPT partition table set-up. Though the install runs smoothly, on reboot the laptop does not recognize the 250GB SSD (sda) on which the \ partition is installed.  Within the settings, the Boot order only lists the second 1TB SSD drive (sdb), where my \home & swap are installed, but not the 250GB SSD.

Are you dual-booting with Windows?  If so, which version -- Win 8/8.1?

Boot with live LL DVD/USB, open a terminal and enter this command to list the partitions on both drives:
Code: [Select]
sudo parted -l(Command ends with a lowercase letter "L".)

If LL is the only OS installed, did you go into UEFI settings and change the boot mode to Legacy/CSM?  If not, do that and try booting again.  (I'm not talking about picking the boot mode for the DVD/USB.  I'm talking about changing the boot mode for the computer in general.)

If you're dual-booting with Windows, you'll need to change the boot mode of computer to Legacy/CSM each time you want to boot LL.  Or, you can follow that video's instructions to convert the LL install to UEFI mode if you don't want to do that all of the time.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

As with anything of this nature, MAKE A GOOD BACKUP of everything you change FIRST.

The UEFI procedure posted on YouTube DOES work, if you follow the instructions EXACTLY. I have used it myself, but then again, I don't specify a separate /home partition, and neither does the video. The video also does not specify anything concerning the use of multiple drives, either.

What the video basically does is to walk you through freeing up disk space for the LL install in Windows, creating a UEFI boot partition, installing LL in legacy mode, and installing the UEFI version of Grub from the Ubuntu LiveCD. Since you said that you're having issues with LL in legacy mode as well, you will need THAT going before proceeding.

What got me the time or two I've used this method was that one of the commands goes almost to the end of the screen, adds a space, then wraps to the following line. This is hard to determine from watching the video - which, by its very nature, also does not allow you to copy and paste the text. Reading the comments I left about the video will shed more light on that...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:54:51 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello Mike, my suggestion would be to read through the numerous threads and posts on this topic in these Forums first. There is a tremendous amount of information here on this already. Cheers :)

[SOLVED] Asus G750JS - has anyone installed LL on this?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

I've bought a gaming laptop (has both UEFI & Legacy boot), an Asus G750JS, but am having problems installing LL2.4 properly in legacy boot, with either MBR or GPT partition table set-up. Though the install runs smoothly, on reboot the laptop does not recognize the 250GB SSD (sda) on which the \ partition is installed.  Within the settings, the Boot order only lists the second 1TB SSD drive (sdb), where my \home & swap are installed, but not the 250GB SSD.  Could this have something to do with LL not being UEFI supported?  I'd rather stay with LL if there is a workaround for this, rather than opt for a another distro that's UEFI supported e.g. Ubuntu. 

I did see the youtube video by Nehal J Wani, that Jerry put elsewhere in the forum on how to do a Win8.1/LL dual boot on a UEFI computer, but this seemed overly complicated and risky for an amateur like me, though I did make a transcript of the video for later reference just in case I'm feeling brave enough & have the time...

Many thanks for any help.
Regards
Mike
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:50:34 PM by m654321 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section