You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Acer C720 Touchpad

Author (Read 12102 times)

Re: Acer C720 Touchpad
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Excellent work finding that solution and thanks for posting back with it!  I'm sure that will help someone else along the way with similar problem.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »

Harry_Farthing

Quote from: Harry_Farthing
One of the comments is a guy who is trying to run Elementary OS got that same error for patching files that I did. Since elementary OS is also based on LTS 12.04, I am pretty optimistic about this link:

http://realityequation.net/installing-elementary-os-on-an-hp-chromebook-14

Looks promising.  Let us know how that goes for you.

It worked!

I skipped these steps:
Step 1: Installing Elementary OS
Step 3: Upgrade xserver-xorg
Step 4: Solve issue with suspend

Step 1, because I already had set the laptop to legacy boot and installed linuxlite, and I skipped steps 3 and 4 because they described problems that I'm not having.

From what I understand, the problem is that it was downloading an older version of the kernel which didn't have the files that it was supposed to patch. The fix is 'manually' getting it via direct link and wget, rather than using aptitude.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Quote from: Harry_Farthing
One of the comments is a guy who is trying to run Elementary OS got that same error for patching files that I did. Since elementary OS is also based on LTS 12.04, I am pretty optimistic about this link:

Looks promising.  Let us know how that goes for you.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:19 AM »

Harry_Farthing

The problem seems to be here:

Code: [Select]
# Grab Ubuntu kernel source
apt-get source linux-image-$mykern
cd $mykernver

if [ -f drivers/platform/x86/chromeos_laptop.c ]; then
  platform_folder=x86
elif [ -f drivers/platform/chrome/chromeos_laptop.c ]; then
  platform_folder=chrome
fi

The value of $platform_folder is undefined, because chromeos_laptop.c is in neither of those directories. I can't find it at all, in fact. So, even if it WAS defined, then the script would later attempt to patch a source file that doesn't exist.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:52:41 AM by Harry_Farthing »

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »

Harry_Farthing

EDITED (See at the bottom)

First, thank you for responding. I did take a look at the custom search engine you recommended, and some of the first results were the two main sources I've been going from.

This is the arch guide I mentioned: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_C720_Chromebook

It was helpful for the first part (actually getting linux lite to install), but I switched to the ubuntu guide because it was using arch-specific things like pacman instead of aptitude.

Because I tried multiple times, I decided to start again fresh and record everything. In hindsight, I realize I probably should have done this BEFORE making a forum post, so for that I apologize. I guess I was just naively hoping that someone had done this before.

This is the guide I was working from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2190187

Running a freshly-installed copy of linux lite on a virtual machine:
dist-upgrade didn’t upgrade anything, so I just continued, assuming it was already running the latest version of the kernel.

cd Downloads
wget https://googledrive.com/host/0B0YvUuHHn3MndlNDbXhPRlB2eFE/cros-haswell-modules.sh
[changed the file to be executable]
./cros-haswell-modules.sh
[password for super user]
Received some errors:
./cros-haswell-modules.sh: line 14: cd linux-3.8.0: No such file or directory
Can’t find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong –p or –strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
------------------------------------
|diff –git a/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-pcidrv.c b/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-pcidrv.c
|index f6ed06c..816cbd1 100644
|--- a/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-pcidrv.c
|+++ b/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-pcidrv.c
------------------------------------
File to patch:
It did that for a few other .c files, and I eventually just stopped it, because I evidently wasn’t getting anywhere.
On the line of the first error (./cros-haswell-modules.sh: line 14: cd linux-3.8.0: No such file or directory) is the command:
cd $mykernver
The variable mykernver is declared earlier with
mykernver=linux-$(echo $mykern | cut -d'-' -f 1)
and mykern just before that with
mykern=${1:-$(uname -r)}

At this point I decided to go through the script executing the commands line-by-line and seeing what happens. I hit an error near the beginning at:
sudo apt-get build-dep -y --no-install-recommends linux-image-$mykern
E: You must put some ‘source’ URIs in your sources.list

So, I have no idea what repo/s I’m supposed to add at this point, but I think that’s what I need to do to go further.

I’m guessing this is the point where it didn’t actually download anything, so it had nothing to patch, which is what tripped it up later.

-------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Maybe 5 seconds after I submitted the post, I had a moment of inspiration. I realized that since it was a fresh install, the sources.list weren't set right yet. I ran apt-get update, then ran the script again.

Now, instead of telling me to add lines to sources.list it's:
Picking linux-lts-raring as source package instead of 'linux-image-3.8.0-34-generic'
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 139 not upgraded.

But later on, it still can't find the files to patch. I'll keep going through line by line.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:20:10 AM by Harry_Farthing »

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I don't know anything about this myself, but it would be best if others knew what solutions you have already tried (provide the links you used if possible) along with a brief description of what went wrong (if you got error messages, for example).  That will give them a bit more to go by and will avoid you being pointed to things you've already tried.

Generally speaking, solutions that work for Ubuntu (especially 12.04) should work equally well on Linux Lite.  Arch Linux has excellent documentation on it's site and much of the time instructions can be adapted to fit situations on other Linux distros.  (But, if you are relatively new to Linux, you probably won't know what adaptations to make.)  If you find something that looks like a solution in the Arch documentation, provide a link to it here for us to see -- we can probably tell you how to adapt the solution to Linux Lite.

If you haven't already done so, try using the search engine listed under "General" on this post:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=273.msg1310#msg1310

Acer C720 Touchpad
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

HarryFarthing

There are a few guides and patches out there. Some of them are for Arch, and some are for Ubuntu. I haven't managed to get one working (I assume this has something to do with the different version of ubuntu and/or Linux kernel).

Has anyone here managed to get the touchpad working on Linux Lite? I really don't want to use standard Ubuntu, and I REALLY don't want to use Arch.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help out.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section